Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

slow six stigma

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 09:38 AM
jdmcbride
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by WindyMustang
But you missed something important - balance. You can hang the V6 out all day on a curvy road...er, track....and never tire of it. On the V8...yeah, you've got a lot of power. But you've also got 54%+ of your weight in the front - and more total weight too.

[NOTE: "Enough" power is subject to change without notice!]
I agree that the lighter V6 engine gives the 3.7 better front/rear balance, but the 2011+ V6 Mustang weighs the same as a 07-09 4.6 GT(at least mine weighed 3450 lbs.).

BTW, 50 ft lbs of torque is a big difference (18.5% more).

I can get 26 MPG on the highway if I drive the speed limit; even with my mods.
Old 04-27-2012, 09:41 AM
jdmcbride
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by replica
I'm not sure what you mean. I had a 2008 GT and currently have a 2012 V6. The torque difference is 20. The 3 valve seems to have made a little more lower end power, but I can't tell much of a difference. At the track, we aren't launching from idle so I don't know why it matters.
The torque difference is 50 - 270 for the 3.7 and 320 for the 4.6.
Old 04-27-2012, 09:52 AM
jdmcbride
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 97tplsGT
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGzVd...5&feature=plcp

Hows that for coming out the hole sir? Im really a modest car guy, and Im sure im not coming off that way right now. But saying what we shoulda gotten is the pot calling the kettle black. Looks like you shoulda waited for the 3.7 to come out
Nice launch for sure! Very nice run.

I very happy with my car. I thought about getting a 2013 5.0, but my two sons are growing fast and I may need to hold on to my Mustang GT(will be paid off this year) and buy something bigger - like a 4 door Jeep Wrangler.

Someone will need to explain to me how turning several 100 RPMs higher at the same speed (by switching to lower gears) will net the same MPG.
Old 04-27-2012, 10:25 AM
aryrider

I agree the v6 has a slow stigma attached. However, my wife and I totally enjoy cruising in our 2007 v6 convertible on the back roads on the weekends, taking our time and enjoying the ride.
Old 04-27-2012, 02:15 PM
replica
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jdmcbride
The torque difference is 50 - 270 for the 3.7 and 320 for the 4.6.
Says 280 trq on the Ford site.

Whoops. Thought the 05-09's had 300 trq. Regardless, I don't feel much of a difference between the two. The V6 seems to rev quicker so that torque deficit isn't as noticeable as you might think. Another thing I really like on these new V6's is the stock tune doesn't have the massive throttle delay the 05-09 GT's had.
Old 04-27-2012, 02:26 PM
freyes
2nd Gear Member

Even with a Procharger, a V6 gets better gas mileage than a V8. Some of us are seeing 500 RWHP and still getting 23 mpg average. I ran a 7.864 in the 1/8 mile, (about a 12.3 in the 1/4 mile) last December and I can out handle most V8 GTs. Of course I have an aftermarket suspension & gears, but I've only spent 29K for everything on my car (19K for the car), by installing everything myself. My car is a daily driver. Think about what the Boss 302 is, a high horsepower, high revving V8. But mine didn't cost 55K, and it does not have the "give me a ticket" stripes and body color that Ford makes you have if you buy the boss.
Old 04-27-2012, 03:53 PM
replica
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by freyes
Even with a Procharger, a V6 gets better gas mileage than a V8. Some of us are seeing 500 RWHP and still getting 23 mpg average. I ran a 7.864 in the 1/8 mile, (about a 12.3 in the 1/4 mile) last December and I can out handle most V8 GTs. Of course I have an aftermarket suspension & gears, but I've only spent 29K for everything on my car (19K for the car), by installing everything myself. My car is a daily driver. Think about what the Boss 302 is, a high horsepower, high revving V8. But mine didn't cost 55K, and it does not have the "give me a ticket" stripes and body color that Ford makes you have if you buy the boss.
There's something to be said about a car that's already fast when stock and still has a warranty. I'd still take the Boss.
Old 04-27-2012, 04:07 PM
freyes
2nd Gear Member

There's something to be said about a car that's already fast when stock and still has a warranty. I'd still take the Boss.
Something to be said when a V6 blows the doors off a Boss or a GT, regardless of warranty or not. I've had zero problems with my car, especially since I won't let Ford touch it.
Old 04-27-2012, 04:15 PM
replica
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by freyes
Something to be said when a V6 blows the doors off a Boss or a GT, regardless of warranty or not. I've had zero problems with my car, especially since I won't let Ford touch it.
Meh. Power is power. Don't really care how many cylinders it has. Guess that's my Honda past talking.
Old 04-27-2012, 05:14 PM
jdmcbride
4th Gear Member

Says 280 trq on the Ford site.
Sorry, I only reposted what 97tplsGT stated in an earlier post.

Whoops. Thought the 05-09's had 300 trq. Regardless, I don't feel much of a difference between the two. The V6 seems to rev quicker so that torque deficit isn't as noticeable as you might think. Another thing I really like on these new V6's is the stock tune doesn't have the massive throttle delay the 05-09 GT's had.
Funny thing about comparing one car to another, I test drove a 2011 5.0 GT 6M Brembo GT with the 3.73s while my car was getting serviced at my Ford dealer. It didn't feel any faster than my '08 GT, but I guess the mind plays tricks to reassure our purchases(of course I have pleanty of mods including cams).

BTW, Brenspeed's tunes completely eliminated the throttle delay you mentioned!

Quick Reply: slow six stigma