Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Real World Gas Mileage on Performance Package

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 03:14 PM
WORKISSLOW
2nd Gear Member

higher octane wont help if you are not tuned for it.

I have noticed it seems like summer blend gas seems to give less MPG then Winter blend, though it could be the warmer weather or both.
Old 07-18-2012, 12:34 PM
Nyke
1st Gear Member

I have the PP and I average 26-27. I do have a manual.
Old 07-26-2012, 04:12 PM
alludc

in the first 200 miles with mixed driving my PP auto is making 18.

Curious what it will do once broken in.
Old 07-26-2012, 04:24 PM
alludc

the above post is a 2013 v6 pp auto. its also been 110 outside.

I personally havent had in the hwy (wife has) but around town if im nice and cruising 45-50mph and its in 6th gear (auto) the insta-mpg guage sits at 30. its the whole red light green light thing that kills it

our rental 2012 we had last month on vaca sat at 31mpg alllllll day between GA and SC
Old 07-27-2012, 12:13 AM
5.0-LXtasy

ok first tank down.... 19.8mpg (on paper).

The low fuel light comes on with 2 gal left btw. drove thru that as far as I had the guts to do and still only managed to stuff 15gal in the tank on the fillup (16 gal cap). Did the math on the gal I didnt use. For about 50/50 city & hwy driving im ok with 19.8 on a brand new engine. Ill test it again after its got 2000 on it.
Old 07-27-2012, 06:46 AM
hogasswild
3rd Gear Member

That's about right. The low fuel light always comes on when the computer thinks you have 50 miles left. However, I have only been able to put over 14gallons in my tank twice. Normally when I fill up I put in about 13.2-13.5 gallons.

Your mpgs should come up. I get 23-25mpg in mixed driving and I have 3.73 gears. I get 27-29mpg on the highway. The ranges all depend on how I drive.
Old 08-02-2012, 01:40 PM
Clark@AutoAnything
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by LieutenantDan
I did a little experiment last night and set the cruise control at 55 the whole way home, and pulled 32 mpg. It really seems to be the case that once you get over 2k all bets are off.

Sucks getting passed by every Prius in Westchester though :-)
LOL, hilarious!! I can hear that Prius owner now...
Been looking at getting a 2011-12 convertible with the 3.7l and this thread is helping with that decision, thanks for all the input! I hope to report my finding soon too.
Old 08-03-2012, 02:23 PM
WORKISSLOW
2nd Gear Member

I suppose it makes sense in some ways that the Prius is the bench mark for MPG, but really how does anyone compare a Prius and a Mustang? I know where I live Hybred owners could get a special sticker that lets them drive in the car pool/HOV lane even if the driver is the only person in the car. Pretty soon you had Prius after Prius holding up traffic in the HOV lanes because to get optimal MPG they tended to drive around 53 mph or something like that. So slowing down the HOV lanes was an unexpected consequence of allowing Hybred drivers access.
I suppose that famous episode of Top Gear (British) kind of backed that up, they had a Prius drive around their test track as fast as it could go and then they had an M3 follow it and the M3 got better MPG.
So I tend to think if you love driving a Prius is not going to appeal to the same people who want a rear wheel drive muscle car, at least not the same level of appeal.

this morning there was few opportunities to drive fast, traffic was thick enough that I was pretty much stuck with going with the flow in the fast lane. SO I was cruising between 60-65 and I decided to hit the reset on the AVG MPG gauge to see what it estimated the consumption was to sustain that speed and it read out 34.4 MPG. I think that is pretty good.
Old 08-03-2012, 02:32 PM
alludc

not much changed at 500 miles. gettin about 21 mixed with my 3.31 PP.

m waiting for it to catch my 25mpg mixed 99 vette. Was gettin 38mpg yesterday on the hwy in my beast. best 6th gear ever.
Old 08-03-2012, 11:36 PM
NeverEnoughVA

This is all quite interesting. Seeing such a huge spread in fuel economy really makes me wonder. I bought my 2013 PP 6-Speed last month and I am horrified with how bad the gas mileage is. I know 2 people with new 5.0s that are getting significantly better mileage than me. If I didn't think the dealer would laugh at me, I would take it in and have it checked. Right now I'm averaging less than 20 MPG with about 65-70% on my driving on the highway at 70 MPH or less. I don't drive it hard at all. I have gotten on it a few times, but not much. It actually seems to be getting worse, not better. I have about 1600 miles on it so far. My 200 mile trip home the day I bought it it got 27 MPG with 200 lbs of stuff in the trunk and pouring down rain. I live and drive in flat, coastal region, so hills and mountains are the problem. It has been hot, and the AC is always on, but that shouldn't cause that big of a drop.

Has anyone seen a difference with the brand of gas they use? I'll try anything. I'm just really disappointed with it. Other wise it's a wonderful car.

Quick Reply: Real World Gas Mileage on Performance Package