Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

New member, v6/track questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 11:36 PM
kpracer

Default New member, v6/track questions

Hi

I have a 2011 Mustang V6, GT package.
So far I have a set of linear Steeda springs, HP+, and Enkie wheels/R-S3 tires for the track.

The great debate
-Should I get a tune, full exhaust, intake, and a tune for raising engine performance? Or should I buy a 5.0?

I have a few different takes on the matter. With the modded v6, I have 150lbs less weight in the front. I have a better power band but not as good of a torque curve.

There are also a few disadvantages of the v6, the driveshaft needs to be changed. I'm limited at 112mph and most tracks i'm hitting limiter half way down the straight.

I'm not exactly sure which way to go, but if you guys could provide some input as to how much power a full bolt on V6 puts down, as well as a decent mod list, that'd be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 07-08-2012, 07:27 AM
hogasswild
3rd Gear Member

Tune(r)
3.73 gears
Driveshaft
Lower control arms
Sticky tires
CAI
Catback/axle back,not for HP but weight reduction
Old 07-08-2012, 12:07 PM
WindyMustang
2nd Gear Member

Hi kpracer - welcome to the forum!

With full bolt ons (CAI, headers, and maybe a catback if you're so inclined) and a VERY good tune, +20/+20 should be doable while still NA, with +30/+30 being optimistic. With FI there's a LOT more to be had obviously, but you didn't ask about that.

If you're racing in a sanctioned racing body, be sure to check the rules carefully before making ANY mods to the engine. You could wind up changing classes or running against a completely different set of competitors for making what seem to be "minor" changes. Very true for the 5.0 swap too - you'll instantly be in another class in all likelihood.

The V6 driveshaft thing is friggin' annoying, so if it was me (wait...it IS me sort of...or at least the same problems...) I'd change that and yank the limiter out first. See what the car can do when those shackles are off, then mod it. And it's VERY unlikely you'll get any kind of penalty / class change for those mods.

Good luck! Where do you race?
Old 07-09-2012, 08:58 AM
SC_Kona_Blue

Originally Posted by hogasswild
Tune(r)
3.73 gears
Driveshaft
Lower control arms
Sticky tires
CAI
Catback/axle back,not for HP but weight reduction
I agree with this list. You might consider 3.55 gear and Headers actually will pick up the most HP and I agree with the weight reduction of an aftermarket exhaust system.

One note on FI and road courses is that it does get a bit hot. I can make about 6 laps around Hallet. 1:35ish each and then I start to get hot. I am running Evans fluid in the car now so that I do not worry and can run a full 8 lap session.

A lot of guys with the 3.7L Mustangs are happy with them at the track, but if you have aspirations of SCCA or NASA then an NA 5.0 might work out better in the long run.
Old 07-09-2012, 11:37 AM
hogasswild
3rd Gear Member

I actually think the cats are the bottleneck. Removing them or replacing them with hi flows will probably net you another 10-15whp on top of a 93 octane race tune. I already have my hi flow cats, just trying to find a time to get them installed.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:09 PM
WindyMustang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by hogasswild
I actually think the cats are the bottleneck. Removing them or replacing them with hi flows will probably net you another 10-15whp on top of a 93 octane race tune. I already have my hi flow cats, just trying to find a time to get them installed.
Interesting idea....had good success with going to high-flow cats on a different car. Will be interested to see your results!