Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

To have a TB or not?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 05:41 PM
V6pony

But each person has their own opinion; to each his own i guess.
Old 09-23-2012, 06:36 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

You could put a TB with a maul the size of Alaska on your car and it won't do you a damned bit of good if just ONE THING beyond that, between the TB and the exhaust tip, is limiting and with these engines there are more than one limiting variable. So, yes, a larger TB will help if that extra air can pass unhindered thru the engine but in your case, no, it can't so it won't gain you any RWHP. But go ahead and buy one. Let us know how that works for you.
Old 09-24-2012, 02:42 AM
V6pony

yeah i am going to plan and buy one, im pretty convinced. Not something I would get as my second mod, but eventually. But just out of curiosity, what would hinder airflow into my engine? just one example.
Old 09-24-2012, 10:07 AM
TRexGAWD
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by V6pony
yeah i am going to plan and buy one, im pretty convinced. Not something I would get as my second mod, but eventually. But just out of curiosity, what would hinder airflow into my engine? just one example.
Not into, but in.. There's only so much air that can pass through your engine (because of valve size, ports, exhaust, etc..), to get more you have to force that air.. i.e forced induction.

Here's an analogy.. I can break your mouth open really really wide but there's still only so much food that can pass through your throat. I'd have to "force" it past. The TB will open up potential if you ever decide to go crazy on your engine and stroke it, port it, etc.. But it's useless as of now.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:32 PM
WORKISSLOW
2nd Gear Member

Well there you go, a couple more people that are convinced a larger TB won't help, but then none the less there are a number of people who have put them on the 3.7 and say that they have gotten good results. So some people are convinced the stock motor cannot flow any more then what the OE TB flows. I am not sure why they believe what they believe but it is what it is. I know like the OP it was suggested to me that I "read" and "do my homework" , "you will find out that a larger TB does not good on the 3.7". Of course I read, and frankly what you find is people saying both, some say it works and some say it doesn't.

Most of the people saying that it won't work seem to have just read it somewhere and there does not seem to be anything to back it up. Lets face it, saying the motor cant flow anymore air is kind of vague considering all the factors. So I chalk it up to some "group think" just getting passed along. Then again, they probably read it on the internet, so it must be true The interWeb can be a prickly place, one should have a thick skin when one has an opposing opinion.

The people who say that the larger TB works seem to be people who actually tried it like myself. I don't sell or promote car parts for a living, I have no stake in the success or failure of BBK or their TB for the 3.7. or any other parts. I just read up on and tried it worked. Having read what we have read, I was not sure if it would work or not so I was prepared to send it back if it did not live up to its claims.

As for tuning, You will get more out of you motor if you tune it, but I can only guess that you will get more out of the larger TB with a tune. It makes sense that they would compliment each other. I installed my BBK TB after I had already loaded a 91 octane street tune and I have not tried it without.

Last edited by WORKISSLOW; 09-24-2012 at 08:41 PM.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:42 PM
Unclenard
1st Gear Member

I have yet to see dyno comparisons of a before and after except from BBK. I don't believe in seat-of-the-pants differences. I'm skeptical because CAI's don't do much difference from the stock air box either, it is always the tune that gives you most of the gain. I'd love to see proof that it is a worth while mod so I could add it to the list to squeeze the most out of the engine, but again I need the proof.
Case in point:
On the ProCharger V6 the difference between an open air filter and the stock airbox was only 9 HP at the peak. So the stock airbox isn't too bad considering it only lost 9 HP on a 475 HP supercharged motor.
Old 09-27-2012, 03:38 AM
V6pony

that makes much more sense Trex, as for workisslow, I have been reading up on the topic and noticed that other users who have installed the TB tuned it afterwards. Some say that there was a dramatic difference after the tune, others say there was a slight increase. I guess it is only a matter of opinion. And yes, there are people with opinions that say larger TBs don't make any difference and yet there are others who say otherwise. But this all these inputs are very much appreciated guys thanks!
Old 11-28-2012, 01:13 PM
WORKISSLOW
2nd Gear Member

Here is where I slit hairs, There is no difference between saying a Bigger TB will flow more air and Saying it wont because the engine is to restrictive. There is no hard evidence in either argument.

This would be a different game is someone had actually tested the Cubic Feet per Minute capacity of the motor and had real numbers and could say that OE TB already flowed more air (CFM)then Engine and exhaust could flow. But this is not the case, Just because someone on the internet says it is so (with no data what so ever to back it up) and people then pass it along doesn't make it true.

There are videos of Dyno results already posted, and of course any skeptical person can suspect that they are fake and contrived for the sole purpose of selling worthless product. So in a way there is no proof but your own proof.

From the beginning I suspected that there were gains to be had with a larger TB because there are gains to be had from a better Air Intake. I also suspected that both would be greatly enhanced with an appropriate tune.

So ask your self how likely do you think it is that Ford Designed a TB that was not fully utilized because they stuck a restrictive Air Intake in front of it. Why would they restrict the potential of the TB with the factory Air Intake? It is more likely that they designed them to the same capacity.

Now what I did was look at the claims from the manufactures and the customer reviews, I took the HP and Ft/# gains divided them into the cost of the parts then I decided if I was willing to spend those $ for those gains knowing full well that some of the products may not live up to the claims. If they did not work as advertised I would just return them, so far I have not been disappointed.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:01 AM
schram1
1st Gear Member

There are actual dyno results up on youtube