Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

To have a TB or not?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 04:33 PM
V6pony

Default To have a TB or not?

Hey guys, I know that this has been beaten to death but I have been getting mixed reviews about the bbk tb for the 2011 V6 mustang. Simply, is it worth getting one? I have a CAI and a catback system so I can optimize the amount of air in an out. Will getting a tb enhance this? Thanks for the input!
Old 09-07-2012, 04:41 PM
TRexGAWD
4th Gear Member

I don't know about the new V6s but on the 8s it's pretty much worthless unless you're moving a lot of air (i.e. forced induction)
Old 09-07-2012, 08:39 PM
hogasswild
3rd Gear Member

Agreed....maybe if you have a procharger installed.
Old 09-07-2012, 11:37 PM
V6pony

alright appreciate the advice
Old 09-18-2012, 03:02 PM
WORKISSLOW
2nd Gear Member

Why not try it and if it does not give you more performance send it back and tell them it doesn't work?
Old 09-19-2012, 08:44 PM
V6pony

that could be an option, but i'd rather hear a review from someone and like it, rather then buy it and not like it.
Old 09-20-2012, 09:52 AM
WORKISSLOW
2nd Gear Member

I have it. I like it.
I did the steeda cai and tune and drove that for a while then added the bbk tb, i give it a thumbs up. The first day it acted a little goofy, the RPMs were a little high, but after that both the sound and acceleration were crisper and there was clearly more power. It seems like the power band is a little wider as well. I think for $400 it is an easy no brainer up grade.
I had to look around before i found reviews from someone who had the same cai as me, but when i did they also gave it a good review.

you can clearly tell there is more power starting around 2000 rpm weather your launching or cruising over a hill in 6th gear. I dont get, many oportunities to wind that motor out but it seems like the i wind it up even less to get to speed.
Old 09-21-2012, 04:09 AM
V6pony

o wow @ 2000, I usually get my power around 3000 (w/out the TB). But that is great news if that TB can give me an earlier power band width. When u say the RPMs were a little off and it sounded "goofy" did that eventually go away? or did u do something to get rid of it?
Old 09-21-2012, 03:27 PM
WORKISSLOW
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by V6pony
o wow @ 2000, I usually get my power around 3000 (w/out the TB). But that is great news if that TB can give me an earlier power band width. When u say the RPMs were a little off and it sounded "goofy" did that eventually go away? or did u do something to get rid of it?
The first day after the install of BBk TB the RPMs at idle were higher then before, I think the computer was just learning and adjusting. By the second day the RPMs went back to where they were before.

The sound is deeper, the whistle I use to hear when the throttle was in certain positions is almost gone now. The whistle came on when I installed the CAI. There was also quite a hiss that is gone now. I think the OE intake probably baffled the sound of the air rushing in more then the Steeda CAI. With the new TB, for what ever reason the whistling and hissing is much quieter.

I noticed right away that I was getting more torque at low RPMs, you could feel the rear locking up sooner and the tire chirping before they had in the past. You don't feel an enormous power gain below 3k but it is noticeable. The motor winds up quicker without a doubt. I drive the same rout 5 days a week, I have been doing it for about 13 years, so I got a good feel for how it behaves and it is easy to notices the difference. Even my GF could feel sitting in the passenger seat.

If you have a 3.7l MT with the 2.73 gears you will notice that when starting from a stop in first gear the car sort of very sheepishly goes from barley moving from say 1000rpm to 2500 rpm and then it kind of explodes like a scalded ape if you have the skinny peddle down all the way. With the new TB I noticed there is less hesitation when taking off, it is easier to start in 2nd as well.

The other thing that is hard to describe was that there use to be a surge of power, parasitically in 3rd gear, I don't recall the exact rpm( but it was over 3300k,) when it use to happen, but my car had it before and after the CAI/Tune.

When I installed the new TB the surge of power smoothed out a bit, the acceleration became more even and more predictable.

There is not a huge difference in diameter between the OE TB and the BBK TB but there is enough to flow enough air to make a difference. I think once you have done a CAI and Tune it is the next logical step.

If you read all the things people post online you quickly find out that this does not work in every case. A larger TB does not always get you gains or at least not noticeable gains. But I am convinced that in my case it did.

The other thing I read, though it is minor point is that it seemed that some people had a bit of a struggle getting the air tube on the new TB, I guess for some it was a real tight fit? I didn't have any trouble. It all went together easily.

Here is a link to another thread here on MF where we were mulling this over. As black smoke pointed out people have posted that the 3.7 set up is so efficient that there is not much you can do to improve it? I have heard it said that this motor cannot flow anymore air then it already does from the factory?

Well I just plain old disagree with those statements only because I tried some bolt on mods and they work.

https://mustangforums.com/forum/3-7l...ttle-body.html

It is hard to tell weather people are passing on someone else's 'Opinion' or stating fact that has been tested in the real world. It is harder even yet to determine if good facts apply to your particular situation.

Sometimes all you can do is try it for yourself. Of course it helps to know what it is you really want out of a situation as well.

Last edited by WORKISSLOW; 09-21-2012 at 03:43 PM.
Old 09-23-2012, 05:40 PM
V6pony

I read the whole post from the link you had provided and I have to say that I do agree with the increase performance in the TB. Having a bigger diameter TB (airflow going in) will increase torque. Black smoke said something about the TB not having a effect but he was basing that off of the concept of having large exhaust pipes. But that can't be true because exhaust pipes have airflow going out (not enough back pressure). However, would you recommend getting a tune when getting the TB to maximize 100% of the product?