Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

iPhone Owners: iOS 6 Brings Audible TurnByTurn to Microsoft SYNC through car speakers

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 06:05 PM
GTC
1st Gear Member

Default iPhone Owners: iOS 6 Brings Audible TurnByTurn to Microsoft SYNC through car speakers

THIS POST IS FOR FOLKS WITH MICROSOFT SYNC THAT MIGHT WANT TO USE THEIR IPHONE AS THEIR PRIMARY GPS

Last night I updated my iPhone with iOS 6, did a blue tooth media link in the car, and while playing music on my iPhone, the new iOS will turn down the car's music whenever it needs to give the audible turn-by-turn instructions over the car's speakers. Very nice. Little circle on my windshield only evidence of where my Garmin used to be.

Not elegant but effective: One downside is with the Mustang's Microsoft SYNC, as I understand it, you can't give Blue Tooth linked media voice commands (whereas with USB you can audible an artist, playlist, whatever). So if your music source is from one of the other inputs like satellite, USB, or radio, your iPhone navigation is not going to interrupt in order to instruct your turns - that's only iPhone Blue Tooth because the music and navigation are coming from the same source: the iPhone. So, this functionality as far as I can tell only works, but works well, with the use of blue tooth media from the iPhone for your music. You can still use your other media sources, and then at any time you can just voice command: "Blue Tooth Media", and that will give you the iPhone's audible directions. Car's phone link still works fine. Like I said, not elegant but effective.

Today system took me flawlessly audibly turn-by-turn, warned me to upcoming turns, gave me distance, location, and direction of next turn.

Hope this helps some of you road warriors.

Last edited by GTC; 09-20-2012 at 06:08 PM.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:55 PM
jomcgui

were you google maps or siri or another map app?
Old 03-11-2013, 06:06 PM
DocSnickers
3rd Gear Member

huh interesting