Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

CAI by roush

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 08:15 PM
kenv
4th Gear Member

How about if you block off the sound tubes in the stock setup & drop in a K&N type filter into the stock box. Would that have a better result than a cone filter sitting there sucking hot engine heat?? I do agree that the cone filters look good though.
Old 10-14-2012, 09:43 PM
johngt10
2nd Gear Member

The Roush Cai doesn't need a tune because it really gives no gain. Same with the 2010 gt. An air raid or a jlt may show something but you will need a tuner for those or the car will run lean and throw the check engine light.
Old 10-15-2012, 06:09 PM
runninpony6
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by kenv
How about if you block off the sound tubes in the stock setup & drop in a K&N type filter into the stock box. Would that have a better result than a cone filter sitting there sucking hot engine heat?? I do agree that the cone filters look good though.
The roush comes with an "open" box that seals against the hood. Its also uses the ram air port from factory set-up. Its more the tube size and filter doing the work and it looks good
Old 10-15-2012, 06:13 PM
runninpony6
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by johngt10
The Roush Cai doesn't need a tune because it really gives no gain. Same with the 2010 gt. An air raid or a jlt may show something but you will need a tuner for those or the car will run lean and throw the check engine light.
Are you saying the air aid works and the roush doesnt?
they are basicly the same set-up (roush/airaid)
No check engine light here
Old 10-15-2012, 08:42 PM
hogasswild
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by kenv
For some odd reason the K&N filter actually loses power on our cars. I think the last dyno I saw showed a loss of 3hp but probably within the error range of the dyno. So lets just say no change. Ford actually designed a pretty good intake from the factory. Only an open element intake can improve on it.
Old 10-16-2012, 04:30 PM
AMWill
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by johngt10
johngt10,

The Roush CAI doesn't need a tune because it still uses the same sized plumbing for the MAF as factory. This keeps the MAF calibrated correctly, which allows the engine to pull more air, make more power and not require a tune. That being said, you can still pick up power tuning the engine from more timing advance and more accurate fuel trims (not that your fuel trims are not safe).

Airaid has a plastic insert for the MAF housing that simulates the factory size, too. So, a tune a not required for them either with the insert installed. However, JLT has a wider MAF housing than stock and does require a tune to calibrate the MAF correctly. If the JLT CAI lost you power (which it most certainly doesn't), you would still need a tune to calibrate the air properly for the PCM.

Hope this clears things up!

Shane
Old 10-17-2012, 05:56 PM
johngt10
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by AMShaneLesky
johngt10,

The Roush CAI doesn't need a tune because it still uses the same sized plumbing for the MAF as factory. This keeps the MAF calibrated correctly, which allows the engine to pull more air, make more power and not require a tune. That being said, you can still pick up power tuning the engine from more timing advance and more accurate fuel trims (not that your fuel trims are not safe).

Airaid has a plastic insert for the MAF housing that simulates the factory size, too. So, a tune a not required for them either with the insert installed. However, JLT has a wider MAF housing than stock and does require a tune to calibrate the MAF correctly. If the JLT CAI lost you power (which it most certainly doesn't), you would still need a tune to calibrate the air properly for the PCM.

Hope this clears things up!

Shane
Makes since. I didn't notice any gain from it other than more intake sound. At the time I was trying to not void the warranty. Now I wish I would have bought a jlt instead.
Old 10-18-2012, 04:55 AM
armyjared
1st Gear Member

Please Don't tell me I made a mistake by buying the injen intake for this car....but I also bought the BAMA tuner and an x pipe soooo... might net a little gain....Have to wait until I finish with this tour in Afghan to find out
Old 09-08-2013, 01:18 AM
OlPal
2nd Gear Member

Lets see if I've got this right !
Stock Air Box 93 octane 258 hp 243 Trq.
"""""" Bama "" "" "" 266 HP 257 Trq.

JLT CAI 93 octane Stock tune 266 HP 253 Trq.
Bama 267 HP 258 Trq

I'm going for Fords Air Box, K&N Filter, & 'Bama Tune
Sadly best we have is 91 octane
Fords Cold Air Box is a master of Flow Engineering.
Old 09-20-2013, 12:13 AM
mcanchola2

Thanks for all the info. I am glad I checked her before I bought the Roush Cold Air Intake. I just bought the Airaid off of americanmuscle.com. It was 40 dollars cheaper and there is also a $30 rebate going on too. $70 cheaper for the exact same thing seems like a good deal to me

Quick Reply: CAI by roush