Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Hurst Billet Plus 2 Shifter vs Boss Steering Wheel

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 03:46 PM
GhostStrykre
2nd Gear Member

Default Hurst Billet Plus 2 Shifter vs Boss Steering Wheel

hey i'm choosing between two new mods. i have a base model 2012 V6 MT and it comes with that awful and hideous rubber steering wheel. so i figured, why not swap it out with the Boss steering wheel? i waited and the price jumped on it, so bummer on that. here's a link to the product:

http://www.cjponyparts.com/ford-stee...-2012/p/STW12/

and then there is the hurst shifter. it seems like a great modification for the money, but i can't get both the steering wheel AND the shifter right now. here's the link to the shifter:

http://www.americanmuscle.com/hurst-...fter-1112.html

can't really make my mind up right now.

Boss Steering Wheel = Comfort + Great look on interior
Hurst Shifter = Better Shifting Experience + Great look on interior

thoughts anyone?
Old 11-08-2012, 04:49 PM
jeremy813
1st Gear Member

I am not a fan of the shape of the mustang steering wheel. So just adding alcantara to it does not appeal to me.

I did replace my shift **** with a weighted one from my previous car and I love it. The shifting is very smooth now. The stock **** has hardly any weight to it.

My **** is approx. 460 grams now. So get one about that heavy and you should notice a difference.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:32 PM
hogasswild
3rd Gear Member

I opted for the boss steering wheel and ****. I am very pleased with both.
Old 11-09-2012, 04:22 AM
storm8732

I am not a fan of the alcantera,...after you use it a while you will understand why....it was developed to be used with racing gloves...it gets a weird feel too it after your skin oils and sweat get into it.....just get a regular leather wheel...they are cheaper...and you might be able to get both that way....I love my Hurst shifter by the way....by far the best bang for the buck mod you can do....
Old 11-09-2012, 09:47 AM
GhostStrykre
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by storm8732
I am not a fan of the alcantera,...after you use it a while you will understand why....it was developed to be used with racing gloves...it gets a weird feel too it after your skin oils and sweat get into it.....just get a regular leather wheel...they are cheaper...and you might be able to get both that way....I love my Hurst shifter by the way....by far the best bang for the buck mod you can do....
this is the advice i was looking for! i thought about the Grant steering wheel, but you need the premium steering wheel controls in order to move them over to the Grant wheel. i just took a quick look for the GT Premium Leather Steering Wheel... everyone only seems to be selling those Boss steering wheels.. hmm, i'll keep searching. but thanks for your advice! i was already leaning towards the hurst shifter, but i think i'm decided now.
Old 11-09-2012, 09:50 AM
Steve St.Laurent
1st Gear Member

Do yourself a favor and watch the videos on mgwltd.com on their shifter. It's a little more expensive than the Hurst shifter but once you watch the videos you'll see why its well worth the extra cost. It won't look different than your stock shifter but its soooooooo nice! Its definitely the way I'd go first - I love mine
Old 11-09-2012, 11:29 AM
AMWill
Former Sponsor

OP,

I've always leaned more towards performance upgrades as my first couple of mods on stock car. So, I'm going to say go with the Hurst short-throw shifter. You'll enjoy a little interior eye candy, plus really enjoy driving your car reach day. I feel an upgraded shifter is a must for any sports car IMO.

Good luck with your decision, hopefully this has helped!

Shane
Old 11-09-2012, 02:06 PM
GhostStrykre
2nd Gear Member

alright i'm pretty set on the shifter upgrade. but not that Steve suggested the MGW, i decided to take a look. here's the video i found:

this guy seems to have issues shifting with the hurst, while the MGW treats him well. anyone else able to verify this? i really don't know anything about MGW's brand, so is it better than Hurst?

and Shane, i took a look for MGW on americanmuscle.com but didn't see it, do you guys not carry it? i'd much rather order from you guys since you've treated me well in the past!
Old 11-09-2012, 03:56 PM
Steve St.Laurent
1st Gear Member

Here's the videos I was talking about on the Mgw site. Watch these and you'll understand the differences. The Hurst only replaces the upper part of the shifter like he talks about in the videos. I believe you can only get the Mgw straight from them:

One: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=NSOTbkTLC-s

Two: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=WmLimZR9nyo
Old 11-09-2012, 06:17 PM
hogasswild
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by storm8732
I have to disagree with you. Alcantara is very easy to deal with and clean. All you really need is a slightly soapy wash rag to remove oil since it is not porous like leather and doesn't crack over time or scratch if you mishandle the whee like with a ring. After I clean and dry, I just use a toothbrush to fluff up the material and its just like new again. I've got about 30,000 miles on my alcantara steering wheel and it still looks like it did when I bought it.

Quick Reply: Hurst Billet Plus 2 Shifter vs Boss Steering Wheel