Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

3.7 Reliability Survey!

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 07:29 AM
audioAl
4th Gear Member

Default Roanstang

I've gotten to 13,797 and no issues so far, powerful motor!
Attached Thumbnails 3.7 Reliability Survey!-tn_dicky-ranch-006.jpg  
Old 03-23-2013, 11:50 AM
vegas_
1st Gear Member

You should realize that when consumer reports determines reliability with their annual subscriber survey. A V8 mustang is probably driven a lot harder than a V6, after all someone who chooses a V8 does that because they want a powerful car. Someone who buys a V6 isn't so much into pushing the car, and is more concerned about mileage. So the difference in reliability may not mean the cars are any better/worse, but it's because of the type of individual who buys a V8 instead of a V6. Furthermore they only survey their own subscribers, not all Mustang owners.

Last edited by vegas_; 03-23-2013 at 11:52 AM. Reason: typos
Old 03-23-2013, 07:49 PM
GTC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by vegas_
A V8 mustang is probably driven a lot harder than a V6, after all someone who chooses a V8 does that because they want a powerful car. So the difference in reliability may not mean the cars are any better/worse, but it's because of the type of individual who buys a V8 instead of a V6.
Maybe. Your statement assumes that the problems giving the GT reliability issues were in the power train or another area(s) effected by how hard you drive. You may be right, but someone here would need to look up where the problem areas were as CR makes that info available model by model, engine by engine. I tried, but the web version of Consumer Reports wanted me to pay for that information.

Unfortunately for 2012, CR reports that Ford was second to last in overall reliability among all manufacturers surveyed. Only Jaguar sucked more. But the single biggest factor bringing Ford down from it's former number one spot among American manufacturers was not a drivability failure like a transmission or an EFI computer, but the troubled MyFord Touch (the next-generation of Ford Sync announced in January 2010), impacting reliability across several models. The third worst was Lincoln which also gets a version of that system called MyLincoln.

Besides Consumer Reports, J.D. Powers own study ranked 2011 Ford vehicles' initial quality in 23rd position, down from fifth position in 2010. J.D. Powers also largely blamed MyFord Touch for the decline.

Anyway, with CR, Ford/Lincoln held down six of the top ten poorest reliability spots with the Explorer 4WD coming in first, which in this case rhymes with worst. C.R.'s index is taken very seriously due to not only the reputation of CR, but the massive 1.2 million samples CR uses for it's survey.

Last edited by GTC; 03-23-2013 at 07:51 PM.
Old 03-24-2013, 11:17 AM
vegas_
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by GTC
Maybe. Your statement assumes that the problems giving the GT reliability issues were in the power train or another area(s) effected by how hard you drive. You may be right, but someone here would need to look up where the problem areas were as CR makes that info available model by model, engine by engine. I tried, but the web version of Consumer Reports wanted me to pay for that information.

Unfortunately for 2012, CR reports that Ford was second to last in overall reliability among all manufacturers surveyed. Only Jaguar sucked more. But the single biggest factor bringing Ford down from it's former number one spot among American manufacturers was not a drivability failure like a transmission or an EFI computer, but the troubled MyFord Touch (the next-generation of Ford Sync announced in January 2010), impacting reliability across several models. The third worst was Lincoln which also gets a version of that system called MyLincoln.

Besides Consumer Reports, J.D. Powers own study ranked 2011 Ford vehicles' initial quality in 23rd position, down from fifth position in 2010. J.D. Powers also largely blamed MyFord Touch for the decline.

Anyway, with CR, Ford/Lincoln held down six of the top ten poorest reliability spots with the Explorer 4WD coming in first, which in this case rhymes with worst. C.R.'s index is taken very seriously due to not only the reputation of CR, but the massive 1.2 million samples CR uses for it's survey.
Well it is the power train... From Consumers reports 2013 Auto Issue
They rank 15 different problem areas
The Biggest Difference between the V8 and V6 Mustang is
Transmission, V8 very bad, V6 very good. (This is for 2012 model year)

Now although the have different Data V6 & V8, they don't have different data for Man vs. Auto transmission, which makes the data less useful.

As far as brand overall ratings, I don't find this data all that useful. All car companies make cars all over the world using parts from all over the world. The Mustang is made in Michigan, using an Automatic made in Michigan, and an Engine made just across the border in Toledo Ohio. Seems good to me. But the Manual is made in China? Is that the source of the problem that shows in CU's data? Are more V8's sold with manuals? Or does the extra 100HP from the V8 stress the manual more?
Old 03-24-2013, 08:24 PM
GhostStrykre
2nd Gear Member

To be honest I LOVE my ford touch. I wish I could have it on my v6. But my v6 has been rock solid. Aside from rattles in the dash. I keep meaning to go to the dealership to have them work on that. Otherwise the car rocks.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:48 PM
lilstang
1st Gear Member

So ya'll don't think that throwing a tuner on it will hurt it's reliability in the long run? I'm not talking about some big bad race tune, just a slight to moderate tune.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:19 AM
Chromeshadow
3rd Gear Member

I replaced the rear sway bar yesterday-due to a thump when I would hit a bump, and lots of squeaks coming from the rear. I could lift the rear fender and hit a loud click! The original sway bar rubber bushings were shot. I have 40,000 miles on my 2012 3.7, I do drive it all year, so it gets a lot of salt in it during winter, and I run it though a car wash that spays the underside to clean the salt. This tends to remove all lube from places like the rubber bushing, then the bushings bind, squeak and wear out.

I went with the H&R Sport Sway Bar kits " include special urethane/Teflon composite bushings, that prevent squeaks and eliminates the need for lubrication. No mess, no maintenance, a perfect fit."

Took about an hour to replace, and the ride is quiet and much smoother that the factory sway bar.
Old 09-11-2013, 08:49 PM
johnbyjove

A week ago I replaced the water pump on my 3.7 L, 2011 with 31000 miles. My big complaint is throttle hesitation when starting from a stop in the morning after start up. Also the tranny reacts as if being hit in the rear when stopping.
Old 09-14-2013, 09:51 AM
Matt's 95 Stang
Resident Ginger

Originally Posted by johnbyjove
A week ago I replaced the water pump on my 3.7 L, 2011 with 31000 miles. My big complaint is throttle hesitation when starting from a stop in the morning after start up. Also the tranny reacts as if being hit in the rear when stopping.
From my understanding that is not the trans; that is the two piece drive shaft design. Replace it with a AF 1 piece and that "bump" to go away.

Matthew
Old 09-15-2013, 08:29 PM
vegas_
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by johnbyjove
Manual or Automatic?
I have an automatic, and have felt or hear NOTHING like that
Stops are very smooth.

Quick Reply: 3.7 Reliability Survey!