Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Gears 2.73 to 3.73

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 02:43 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by GhostStrykre
first off, thanks to the OP for making this thread.. i was just starting to search for info regarding this upgrade and someone already got the good info flowin!

since all of the questions i had have been asked and answered, i only have one other question. does anyone know how much this whole procedure should cost? Sure the gears are like $160, but what should the cost of install be? I had one shop quote me at $500 not including cost for parts. what price is a good one here? thanks!
How many hours are they charging you and what is their labor rate per hour? That is how to cost compare if you plan on shoping around.

If shop #1 says $500 and says they charge $100 bucks an hour (5 hours)
and shop 2 says $300 but charges $150 an hour (2 hours) why is the $300 shop charging so much less, what are they not doing that the $500 shop is?

Maybe the more expensive shop is doing a bunch of other stuff that the $300 shop isn't? Or maybe the more expensive shop is charging a flat rate (you might be able to negotiate then).

Best way to get a baseline. Call your local ford Service shop and find out how many hours their manuals tell them a gear swap should take. Then go shopping with that info.
Old 04-05-2013, 04:33 PM
V6pony

Originally Posted by GhostStrykre
first off, thanks to the OP for making this thread.. i was just starting to search for info regarding this upgrade and someone already got the good info flowin!

since all of the questions i had have been asked and answered, i only have one other question. does anyone know how much this whole procedure should cost? Sure the gears are like $160, but what should the cost of install be? I had one shop quote me at $500 not including cost for parts. what price is a good one here? thanks!
Hey no problem Ghost, I had this question in my mind for awile and I decided to finally ask it straight out. As far as installation cost, I would have to say that $200 to $300 for installation. However, with gears I would not want to go cheap on the labor, I would bring it to a reputable spot and pay that extra $50-$100 that they are charging you. Also it depends on what material your car may need and that you don't have. The shop that you bring it to may carry it. That would be an extra cost. Hope this helps.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:03 PM
hogasswild
3rd Gear Member

I think the cost also depends on the part of the country you're in. I paid $489.99 for my install which included parts, labor, fluids and one year warranty. I already had a tuner and had lower control arms put on at the same time.
Old 04-06-2013, 10:53 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Who installed the 2.73s that is in there now?
The V6es came with 3.31s OEM.
A jump from 3.31s to 3.73s will make your
5th gear seem like fourth gear is now with
a manual tranny.

I dont EVER use fifth gear now so a swap to 3.73s
would make sense for me.
Old 04-06-2013, 06:48 PM
THS_Steed06
2nd Gear Member

FYI,

I just got my car quoted at the dealer (Chicago area) and at a reputable independent shop that has rear end experience. Dealer wanted $1100, they supplied gear install parts (bearings seals ect.) but I had to supply 3:73 ring and pinion set. Dealer would not warranty the part unless it was Ford Racing
gears.

The independent shop said labor was $540 and they reccomended I supply all parts (bearing kit and ring/pinion) they would guarantee work for 1 yr. So with parts and labor independent shop was cheaper at $814 vs $1279.

Ford dealer: $1100 labor and parts + my gears at $179 = $1279

Ind. Shop: $540 labor + my kit $95 + my gears $179 = $814

Guess who I'm going with?

Tom
Old 04-06-2013, 06:58 PM
THS_Steed06
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Derf00
The 3.7L exploding driveshaft event...(sigh). One person and a couple of rumored people had it so now everyone thinks it's an issue....
Actually, I've been wondering about this anyway with my planned gear upgrade. Now I know I'm in the 3.7L section with a 4.0 but I think the driveshaft discussion applies to both.

I do get a weird harmonic vibration in my car at about 105-110 and I'm absolutely sure its not the tires. It feels like something is "whirring/ringing weirdly" but whatever it is the rest of the car feels solid and the vibration seems to emulate from under my console. I don't know for sure if its the DS or not but I've never gone beyond that speed due to the "fear" that the DS will go. So I've got a new DS on the short list after my 3:73s go in because I do go triple digits from time to time.

I was wondering though why more people don't just by a safety loop like this one from LRS
http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/BMR-DSL010B/Mustang-Gt-Black-Hammertone-Front-Driveshaft-Safety-Loop

To protect themselves and the car. Seems like a much better plan than dropping $600 on the AL DS. Am I missing something?

Tom
Old 04-06-2013, 09:29 PM
Matt's 95 Stang
Resident Ginger

So not to beat a dead horse but what is the general rule for the 3.7's with an auto? I know in my '95 we would go 3.73's for the 5 speed, and 4.10's with the auto's. Is that still the case? My '11 is a DD and sees NO track time. But it does need gears. The OEM ones are just toooooo low.

Matthew
Old 04-07-2013, 09:20 AM
GhostStrykre
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Matt's 95 Stang
So not to beat a dead horse but what is the general rule for the 3.7's with an auto? I know in my '95 we would go 3.73's for the 5 speed, and 4.10's with the auto's. Is that still the case? My '11 is a DD and sees NO track time. But it does need gears. The OEM ones are just toooooo low.

Matthew
I'm on my phone so looking through these posts isn't super easy. But someone above said 410s for autos, and 373 for manuals. 410s were too much for the manuals.

I'm planning on calling a Ford dealership Monday and to get a quote on this install. I wish I could do it myself but that just isn't happening.
Old 04-07-2013, 04:22 PM
mariusvt
1st Gear Member

The 2.73's are low for sure, I've been milling over 3.55's for my manual when I get around to having them swapped out because I don't want to give up much fuel economy but definitely want to wake the car up a little bit. Then again if I had been able to find a deal on a car equipped with 3.31's I'd probably not be thinking of a gear swap in general so I've not been pondering the 3.73's much.
Old 04-08-2013, 12:42 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by THS_Steed06
Actually, I've been wondering about this anyway with my planned gear upgrade. Now I know I'm in the 3.7L section with a 4.0 but I think the driveshaft discussion applies to both.

I do get a weird harmonic vibration in my car at about 105-110 and I'm absolutely sure its not the tires. It feels like something is "whirring/ringing weirdly" but whatever it is the rest of the car feels solid and the vibration seems to emulate from under my console. I don't know for sure if its the DS or not but I've never gone beyond that speed due to the "fear" that the DS will go. So I've got a new DS on the short list after my 3:73s go in because I do go triple digits from time to time.

I was wondering though why more people don't just by a safety loop like this one from LRS
http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...ft-Safety-Loop

To protect themselves and the car. Seems like a much better plan than dropping $600 on the AL DS. Am I missing something?

Tom
Most people don't drive their cars too far beyond the posted speed limits on a regular basis so they are well under 100 mph. Gotta remember that those posting on this forum represent probably less than 5% or 10% of Mustang owners.

For me, a one-piece aluminum driveshaft is a no-brainer. The OEM one on my S197 weights almost twice that of the aftermarket ones Don't know if I would get a DS Loop simply because I never track the car and don't plan on gettin over 100 (too often).

Incidently, I just got a quote from an independent shop here in AZ to install gears, new bearings and seals, and my DS for $659. I supply all parts and fluids.

Quick Reply: Gears 2.73 to 3.73