Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

3.7L with Automatic; Burnout question

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 04:19 PM
vegas_
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by manley845
Woo Whooo!!!
I got the tires to spin, lol.

So, I thought I tried this yesterday, but I guess I had a brain fart or something.
But, if you hold down the Traction Control button for more than 5 seconds it will turn off the Brake-Over-Accelerator feature and you can spin the tires.

I do think a programmer will help out a lot, at least in regards to getting the tires to start spinning. Once they're going though, holy crap! lol
This does NOT work with my 2013 Auto V6
While Stopped, I hold down the trac control button for 5 seconds, then dash says Advancedtrac off.
Then with my left foot on the brake, right foot on the accel,
2000 RPM's is the highest it goes even with the gas pedal all the way to the floor.

Maybe there is something specific you have to do? Press the button before? or after you start the engine?? Or something else?
Old 05-15-2013, 09:12 PM
JimC

Originally Posted by vegas_
While Stopped, I hold down the trac control button for 5 seconds, then dash says Advancedtrac off.
2000 RPM's is the highest it goes even with the gas pedal all the way to the floor.

Maybe there is something specific you have to do? Press the button before? or after you start the engine?? Or something else?
The specific thing you have to do is get a tune. You are describing exactly what the stock tune is designed to do.

One guy was able to do a burnout, but he used a "running start" to get the car rolling first and then applied the brakes. Can't do that at the drag strip though.
Old 05-16-2013, 12:22 PM
manley845

Originally Posted by vegas_

Although I was excited to do the burnout with my foot on the brke and vehicle stopped, it was also a wet parking lot.

On dry pavement it still only is able to offer a little chirp and not much more. It also still seems to be restricted by Ford's Brake-Over-Accelerator feature, which I though was to be disabled when holding the Traction button for more than 5 seconds. Maybe the feature is turned off, but this poor engine with steep gearing just doesn't have the poop to spin the tires.

Well, I get my SCT tuner tomorrow and the 4.10 gears should be here Monday, so I'll update how that goes
Old 05-17-2013, 11:13 AM
2k232
2nd Gear Member

Although I was excited to do the burnout with my foot on the brke and vehicle stopped, it was also a wet parking lot.

On dry pavement it still only is able to offer a little chirp and not much more. It also still seems to be restricted by Ford's Brake-Over-Accelerator feature, which I though was to be disabled when holding the Traction button for more than 5 seconds. Maybe the feature is turned off, but this poor engine with steep gearing just doesn't have the poop to spin the tires.

Well, I get my SCT tuner tomorrow and the 4.10 gears should be here Monday, so I'll update how that goes

Well even with the 2.73 gears my 3.7/manual trans doesn't feel like a "poor engine" just saying.
Old 05-17-2013, 01:17 PM
cariacou
2nd Gear Member

let me know, I'm having 4.10 installed on tuesday and will be in the market for custom tunes right after 8)
Old 05-17-2013, 02:10 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Here is another tip...put the auto into 1st gear manually. auto's tend to want to upshift as soon as possible (fuel efficiency). Manually shift into 2nd when you need to/want to, you'll hold the burnout into 2nd and possible even third.
Old 05-18-2013, 07:21 AM
manley845

Just installed my Bama tune yesterday and it makes a noticable difference.

My car now does burnouts with ease. I can just hold the brake and ease into the throttle and the tires start spinning!!!
I'm currently trying the 93 Performance tune, as the 93 Race tune has an error in the code and sets the SES light.

Yup, just hold the Traction Control button for more than 5 seconds, and it does turn off the BOA feature.

Now I really can't wait to get the 4.10's installed next week.

Oh, and my 0-60mph went from 6.7 sec to 6.2 after the tune. Understand that those are just attempts on the backroads, so it's hard to get a good launch [too nervous about cops, LOL].
Old 05-22-2013, 12:28 AM
Green Stang

Just installed my Bama tune yesterday and it makes a noticable difference.

My car now does burnouts with ease. I can just hold the brake and ease into the throttle and the tires start spinning!!!
I'm currently trying the 93 Performance tune, as the 93 Race tune has an error in the code and sets the SES light.

Yup, just hold the Traction Control button for more than 5 seconds, and it does turn off the BOA feature.

Now I really can't wait to get the 4.10's installed next week.

Oh, and my 0-60mph went from 6.7 sec to 6.2 after the tune. Understand that those are just attempts on the backroads, so it's hard to get a good launch [too nervous about cops, LOL].
Congrats! I have had problems doing burn outs in my v6 since I purchased it. I have tried on 87 Street, 91 performance and race tune with no luck. It still wouldn't kick over 2k RPM.

But I was finally able figured it out today while running my 87 Street tune, not sure if it will work on stock tune. But here is how I did it...

1) Turn off Traction Control (I turned ADV Track off, press break hold track button).
2) Put car in sports mode, while at standstill put car into second gear.
3) Floor the gas and hit the break right after
4) Shift down to first gear
5) Now you should be covered in that beautiful white smoke
Old 05-23-2013, 07:43 PM
lynxwolf

I have a 13 V6 Auto the 2k rpm thing was giving me a problem you have to request then to disable it when you put in for your bama tunes.
It took a few other stuff was jacked up to my sportmode was stuck in 3rd and none of my gauges worked they found out the code was one number off on my computer i went down bama and ryan help me alot now i can smoke wheels and it runs like a bat out of hell
Old 06-20-2013, 06:22 PM
willmonte72

So, doing a burnout is one thing. but what about staging?? even with the trac off, staged at a light, in 1st gear manually, it caps at 2K,( i have a bama tune, cai, bbk throttle body etc..) so when i leave it falls on its face and my 60ft times are disgraceful. plus i plan on boosting it, so how can i build any boost from a stop with that damn BOA set-up??

Quick Reply: 3.7L with Automatic; Burnout question