Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

3.7L with Automatic; Burnout question

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 08:15 PM
JimC

Originally Posted by willmonte72
So, doing a burnout is one thing. but what about staging?? even with the trac off, staged at a light, in 1st gear manually, it caps at 2K,( i have a bama tune, cai, bbk throttle body etc..) so when i leave it falls on its face and my 60ft times are disgraceful. plus i plan on boosting it, so how can i build any boost from a stop with that damn BOA set-up??
If you are going to add forced induction you will need to tune the car obviously. So in tuning you override the system.

At one time BAMA didn't change anything on the "sport mode" transmission setting, so if you are running an older tune and putting it in "S" you may not have the override in place.
Old 06-21-2013, 09:27 AM
manley845

Originally Posted by willmonte72
So, doing a burnout is one thing. but what about staging?? even with the trac off, staged at a light, in 1st gear manually, it caps at 2K,( i have a bama tune, cai, bbk throttle body etc..) so when i leave it falls on its face and my 60ft times are disgraceful. plus i plan on boosting it, so how can i build any boost from a stop with that damn BOA set-up??
Okay, it took me a little bit of getting used to my new Mustang, research, and changing out the gears to realize that the BOA feature can be disabled via putting the trans in SPORT mode and holding the Trac button for more than 5 seconds.

Here's what is confusing, at least what had me thrown off, the low 2.73 gears, low torque V6, and low stall speed of the torque converter still make the engine struggle around the 2k rpm mark even though the BOA is disabled.

For those who have 3.31 gears, it shouldn't be as big of a deal, but may still have trouble spinning the tires.

Tuning does help get more torque moving at the low rpms, but in the end it's just a combo of being a V6, gearing, and stall speed.

I have come to these conclusions based on the link I'm providing from Ford, mods I have made, and driving experiences in my car under different conditions.

http://qa2k3.fordtechservice.dealerc...sbrakeover.pdf

Oh, and now that I have 4.10 gears, I have noticed that the stall (or engine rpm limit) is still approx 2k rpms, but the difference is that with 4.10's it actually has the ability to start spinning at that rpm.
Old 06-21-2013, 10:37 AM
manley845

Originally Posted by cariacou
let me know, I'm having 4.10 installed on tuesday and will be in the market for custom tunes right after 8)
Did you get your 4.10's installed? How do you like them?

I'm loving my 4.10's! RPM's are certainly higher, but oh well, lol.
Old 08-13-2014, 12:51 PM
rockazona

Originally Posted by manley845
Okay, it took me a little bit of getting used to my new Mustang, research, and changing out the gears to realize that the BOA feature can be disabled via putting the trans in SPORT mode and holding the Trac button for more than 5 seconds.

Here's what is confusing, at least what had me thrown off, the low 2.73 gears, low torque V6, and low stall speed of the torque converter still make the engine struggle around the 2k rpm mark even though the BOA is disabled.

For those who have 3.31 gears, it shouldn't be as big of a deal, but may still have trouble spinning the tires.

Tuning does help get more torque moving at the low rpms, but in the end it's just a combo of being a V6, gearing, and stall speed.

I have come to these conclusions based on the link I'm providing from Ford, mods I have made, and driving experiences in my car under different conditions.

http://qa2k3.fordtechservice.dealerc...sbrakeover.pdf

Oh, and now that I have 4.10 gears, I have noticed that the stall (or engine rpm limit) is still approx 2k rpms, but the difference is that with 4.10's it actually has the ability to start spinning at that rpm.
The BOA came from lawsuits against Ford about 3 or 4 years ago from people who shouldn't be driving, losing control and now everyone else has to pay for it. I'm not convinced the BOA is off when you turn off the advancetrac. No problem turning the tires on a smooth pavement like concrete or wet surface after it rains. I can't get the tires to turn every time on hot dry asphalt. I say the BOA is still on because the car is capped a 2K rpms. It needs a performance tune but I don't know if I want to void the warranty right now. Is there another way to turn that crap off?

I'm new to the forum but this is my third Mustang. I went with the V6 this time because I drive a lot and needed something more fuel efficient. I had a 5.0 auto with 4:10 gears. Burnouts on command but you pay for it with gas and drivability on the highway. I had to install a shift kit, intake and Flow Master exhaust to get it all to work right. That gear adds power to the car.
Old 08-13-2014, 02:55 PM
JimC

It does not turn off by turning Advance Track off. The only way to turn it off is with a tune. That is what limits the car to 2,000 rpm regardless of whether TCS and Advance Track are in the full off starting with the 2013 model year. The BOA is not part of the TCS or Advance Track systems.

Last edited by JimC; 08-13-2014 at 07:04 PM.
Old 08-13-2014, 09:21 PM
cruisin5268d
4th Gear Member

Gotta love digging up old threads.
Old 12-25-2017, 12:28 PM
Justin Valdez

What year is your mustang that you are talking about?
Old 12-28-2017, 05:43 AM
David Young
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Justin Valdez
What year is your mustang that you are talking about?
I believe they are talking about the 2013-2014 automatic transmission v6 Mustangs. Ford or the government put a rev type rev limiter on the automatics. Can't hold the brake pedal down and burn the tires off . I'm happy to say, on my 2011 even when it was 100% factory stock I could burn the tires until I wanted to stop