Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

'13 V6 "Shift Kit" feature :D

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 11:22 AM
tacticool

thumbs up for a good tune then! If i wanted this tune down the road with BAMA how would i request it? I actually have not done anything to my car yet...just bought it a few weeks ago! thinking about getting their new little bluetooth tuner to work with my tablet
Old 06-24-2013, 09:07 AM
manley845

Originally Posted by tacticool
thumbs up for a good tune then! If i wanted this tune down the road with BAMA how would i request it? I actually have not done anything to my car yet...just bought it a few weeks ago! thinking about getting their new little bluetooth tuner to work with my tablet
Ryan McDonald is the one doing my tuning, so my guess is that you'd say, "Hey Ryan, you know that real pain in the @ss guy that's so picky about his shifting? Gimme what he's got." lol

Honestly, it seems that most of the time tuners just up the line pressure, but that's only one small part of a solid, quick shift. You also need to adjust the slip during shift, and the time it takes to shift. Ryan adjust all three aspects and now it feels one of my old muscle cars with a "shift kit" in it.
Old 06-29-2013, 04:05 AM
audioAl
4th Gear Member

Great to hear guys are able to fix the "weird shift" tranny in our 3.7 DOHC ponies. I hate
the way my 2012 shifts! I'm saving monies for a tune before I get a 3.55:1 gear, I'm so
unhappy about the shifting from this American Made auto tranny. It's a sissy.
Old 06-29-2013, 07:12 AM
jsimmonstx
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by tacticool
maybe an external fluid cooler would be beneficial. Do you have the model where it displays the transmission temperature? if so what temps are you reading after your tune and some hard driving?
These cars already have an external cooler (it sits between the a/c condenser and the radiator). It's as wide as the radiator and about 4 inches tall.

If you want extra cooling, there are two things you can do:

0) Get a Performance Automatic deep pan (holds an extra three quarts) - costs $250 at AM

1) Get another external cooler to augment your current cooler (Jegs sells an 11x11x3/4 stacked plate cooler kit for $60 - looks to hold at least another quart of fluid).

The hardest part of doing work on the new 6R80 transmissions is refilling them because they're a sealed system, and the fluid (according to what I've read) has to be pumped in. I'm not absolutely sure if the deep pan mentioned above fixes this issue, but on the company's web site, they say installing this pan is a DIY task, so it might address the issue. Another possible down-side is that the pan (being deeper) can present issues on cars that are lowered more than an inch or so.

I intend to so some autocross (my car has an auto trans), and I'm considering getting both the pan and the (extra) cooler.