Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

'13 V6 "Shift Kit" feature :D

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2013, 12:23 PM
manley845

Default '13 V6 "Shift Kit" feature :D

Okay, so the biggest complaint I have had about the V6 with auto transmission is that it shifts so slowly, even with a Bama tune.

What I have found is that Bama quickened the shift, but there was another matter that was creating what I thought was a "slow shift". I should say that I now would describe my issue as a "soft shift".

Appearantly, the torque management settings of the car cause the power to reduce a bit as it shifts and then eases back into full power. Granted it all happens at the snap of your fingers, but it's still annoying.

I was a firm believer that these cars, even being lil V6's with Auto's were capable of "chirping the tires" when shifting. I was almost about to give up after trying so many tune revisions with no success.

BUT, finally the other day I received a tune to try, and sure as sh*t my tires not only chirped into the next gear, but full on spun while going ito 2nd gear and still chirped into 3rd

I'm still working with Bama on getting my final tune, but we're finally on the right track.

Anywho, just wanted to share my experience regarding "performance shifting" with a V6 Auto.
Old 06-17-2013, 01:22 PM
AMDanBailer
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by manley845
Okay, so the biggest complaint I have had about the V6 with auto transmission is that it shifts so slowly, even with a Bama tune.

What I have found is that Bama quickened the shift, but there was another matter that was creating what I thought was a "slow shift". I should say that I now would describe my issue as a "soft shift".

Appearantly, the torque management settings of the car cause the power to reduce a bit as it shifts and then eases back into full power. Granted it all happens at the snap of your fingers, but it's still annoying.

I was a firm believer that these cars, even being lil V6's with Auto's were capable of "chirping the tires" when shifting. I was almost about to give up after trying so many tune revisions with no success.

BUT, finally the other day I received a tune to try, and sure as sh*t my tires not only chirped into the next gear, but full on spun while going ito 2nd gear and still chirped into 3rd

I'm still working with Bama on getting my final tune, but we're finally on the right track.

Anywho, just wanted to share my experience regarding "performance shifting" with a V6 Auto.
I'm glad to hear you're really enjoying your Bama tune! Keep in touch with them and we'll make all the adjustments you'd like.

Thanks for the kind words and sharing your experience with us, we really appreciate it!

-Dan
Old 06-18-2013, 07:05 PM
tacticool

Do you know if Bama is just increasing voltage in the transmission valves to increase hydraulic pressure or if they are doing something else? I am worried about the longevity but I am also exploring options!
Old 06-19-2013, 08:38 AM
manley845

Originally Posted by tacticool
Do you know if Bama is just increasing voltage in the transmission valves to increase hydraulic pressure or if they are doing something else? I am worried about the longevity but I am also exploring options!
I actually just ask them that question last night, after receiving an updated tune. I hope to have that answer soon, as I am curious also.

What I've noticed is that it does not seem to be just a transmission adjustment, but rather that when the shift takes place, the engine power is reduced and then eased back. So, I made the request to not allow this to happen. I don't really know what they adjusted, and am very curious.
Old 06-19-2013, 06:30 PM
tacticool

That is interesting. i hope we hear good news! thanks!
Old 06-20-2013, 05:23 PM
manley845

Here was the reply, "The changes were partly to the line pressure but also adjustments to clutch fill and slip times. This makes a big difference in how the transmission will react." - Awesome Tuner Guy

I am enjoying my most recent tune. I don't think it's for everyone though, as it is pretty aggresive. But, I am sure there is an in between that will allow softer part throttle shifts, but still help tighten things up at WOT. Let's face it, Ford kinda screwed us from the factory with the super soft stock shift.
Old 06-20-2013, 06:27 PM
willmonte72

I would also be a little carefull with that. Increasing line pressure increases transmission heat, and extra heat is never good on automatic transmissions. not only that but do some research on the capabilitys of the torque converter. de-fueling is a strategy many auto makers are using to have "high horsepower" applications and maintaing a reletivly cheap transmission. as well as maintaining torque converter life.
Old 06-21-2013, 07:44 AM
manley845

Originally Posted by willmonte72
I would also be a little carefull with that. Increasing line pressure increases transmission heat, and extra heat is never good on automatic transmissions. not only that but do some research on the capabilitys of the torque converter. de-fueling is a strategy many auto makers are using to have "high horsepower" applications and maintaing a reletivly cheap transmission. as well as maintaining torque converter life.
Eh, too many people get worked up over little things. Line pressure has some effect, but there are many other aspects of driving that would be more damaging that people do to their cars, yet the cars still seem to last. I'm less worried about increased line pressure raising temps as I am about if I still had the old 2.73 gears in there and was trying to do burnouts or even just accelerating in a spirited manner. The torque converter under load will do more to raise the oil temp than a lil bump in line pressure. On that subject, I also had them increase the amount of time the TCC holds to reduce the TCC engagement/disengagement; it feels much better during shifts and when accelerating.

All-in-all, someone with these settings should be less worried about oil temps, and more worried about the wear and tear on the clutch packs, given that the hard shifts put more strain on the teeth of the clutches. However, once you learn the characteristics of the transmission you can accelerate smoothly and avoid super had part throttle shifts.

This is a fun sports car, not a Prius, I'm only interested in having fun with it. If something breaks, I'll fix it
Old 06-22-2013, 01:47 PM
tacticool

maybe an external fluid cooler would be beneficial. Do you have the model where it displays the transmission temperature? if so what temps are you reading after your tune and some hard driving?
Old 06-23-2013, 10:19 AM
manley845

maybe an external fluid cooler would be beneficial. Do you have the model where it displays the transmission temperature? if so what temps are you reading after your tune and some hard driving?
Mine does have the display, and the temps are the same. Well, that is to say that any change from previous is negligible.

I don't know what the hype is about Trans temp, because it's not really an issue. Be more concerned about the life of the clutches, as it's those that take the real abuse.

Torque converter slip is the biggest contributor to Trans fluid temp rising. TCC lock-up is another feature they adjusted for me.

Quick Reply: '13 V6 "Shift Kit" feature :D