Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Headers and "H" pipe

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 09:16 PM
mlud00
1st Gear Member

Default Headers and "H" pipe

Need some advise. I have a 2012 V6 auto with airaid CAI and Bassani axleback free flow exhaust. I have an active thread asking if a sound deadening like dynamat in the trunk and under rear seat will help a doning problem, but didn't get any definitive answer. This question is about headers and H pipes. I plan on getting BBK "shorty" headers sometime, and still put the sound deadening in. Will this help the droning I get at certain RPMs? Do the headers change the pitch of the exhaust? I've read that an "H" pipe lowers the pitch of the exhaust too, so maybe I should start with that? Does the H pipe require cutting he stock pipes? Sorry for all the questions, but I'm not happy with the droning from this exhaust inside the cabin. The outside sound is fine, it's inside that's bugging my ears! I also want to increase the power,so after all this I plan on getting a Bama tune from American Muscle to tie all these mods together, but that's after I get this drone fixed.
Old 06-29-2013, 02:35 AM
VistaBlueFrank68
2nd Gear Member

It's a Ford, so I got Ford Racing axil back Sports $699 and they sound like a deep roar that is sophisticated not obnoxiously loud. Plus the 4" tips fill the rear valance well and they have that raised Ford Racing logo visible. Bolt on easy, quiet enough at idle to sneak home late and loud enough at WOT for your thunder craving.

That's what I did and I like them. The Ford engineers might have picked these if they where told to up-grade the stock mufflers on the V6 or else the quad tips at $1200.

Also check out the MAC Pro Chamber, they were made to give a v6 that v8 sound.

Bottom line expensive mufflers don't drone. Unless you don't have a cross-over H or X,
true straight singles causing mirror sounds that reinforce and amplify or drone.
Old 06-29-2013, 12:29 PM
mlud00
1st Gear Member

Bassani wasn't cheap and Ford racing axle backs are actually Borla- s (stingers). I got a good deal on Bassani and the sound clips on American Muscle sound good. I have no issue with how it sounds from outside, I think it's the straight through design that gives me the problem with resonance. Might still sell them if the sound deadening doesn't help. What I'm questioning is if the shorty headers change the pitch of the exhaust sound. I'm planning on getting them anyway for the looks and slight increase in power, especially after I get the tune. Bassani's are built really well and look great with a 4" tip also, all made of stainless steel, It's just got drone that bugs me. I think the Roush and other straight through "glasspacks" have similar issues.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:54 AM
AMWill
Former Sponsor

OP,

The shorty headers will help change the pitch of the exhaust sound, but only slightly compared to Long Tube headers. Also, since you're trying to reduce drone, I would shoot for an Xpipe instead of H. The Hpipes create a LOT more drone than Xpipes do. The Xpipes give a more throaty noise, but sound great with the right axleback or catback.

I think you'll be happy with the new sound of shorty headers and an Xpipe, especially over the Hpipe!

Shane
Old 07-02-2013, 12:33 PM
jsimmonstx
3rd Gear Member

I went to BBK long tubes with catted X and Magnaflow Street cat-backs.

Sounds good.
Old 07-02-2013, 02:43 PM
VistaBlueFrank68
2nd Gear Member

1) If you've got a V6 get a MAC Pro Chamber!
2) X-pipes sound raspy. 4.0's don't need anymore raspy!
3) H-pipes help out with the 2 missing cylinders.

My 4.0 was fun, then the "Enemies of Fun" took it.
Learn from my tragedies, young ones.
Later