Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

'Bama Tune for Dummies or Tuner 101

Old 09-06-2013, 04:13 PM
OlPal
2nd Gear Member

Default 'Bama Tune for Dummies or Tuner 101

Okay a few things upfront;
I'm 65 yrs. old & my Ricky Racer days are past.
I would probably be running 87 or 89 octane gas.
Would like to feel improved throttle response, low to mid RPM torque feel improvement. With a less sluggish Auto trans response.
Improved MPG !!!!

When I run 89 octane gas, doesn't the stock ford 'puter automatically increase performance?

Where does the 'Bama plug into the mustang ?
Can it mess up my warranty ?
What's the process for changing the 'stangs tune ?
Does the free tunes for life , come with all 'Bama tuners ?

There's probably many questions, I haven't even thought of yet, so feel to just assume my noobie to tuners & contribute all relevant info that I might find useful..
Thanks
Old 09-06-2013, 04:31 PM
amyhughes
1st Gear Member

I'll add...

Is any work done by a dealership as part of normal maintenance likely to un-do or reset a tune?

Is any work done by a dealership as part of more involved repair, like say computer or electrical work, likely to un-do or reset a tune?

Does a tuner allow me to examine the current tune to verify it hasn't been changed?

Does replacing gears (2.73 -> 3.31, or similar) require a tune?
Old 09-06-2013, 05:27 PM
OlPal
2nd Gear Member

Good add-ons Hughes, hopefully a True Guru or 20 will come up with answers or more questions even.
On the 331 gears, I read that there is no factory flash for my car to go to those gears. ??? What the Heck ??
Old 09-06-2013, 05:59 PM
AJ06GT
5th Gear Member

You can definitely get a tune to do what you want, you'll just want to let them know that's what you want. Improved throttle response definitely, more aggressive AT tweaks, and some more power. Fuel economy I don't see a huge difference in. That is always far more dependant on your right foot than your tune.

Bama is the name of AmericanMuscle's tuning company, the tuner itself will be an SCT and it plugs into the OBD II port. When you plug it in, it will prompt you to follow a few steps during which it will flash to tune to the computer.

It can definitely affect some parts of your warranty. You can't go in with a tune and ask why your engine is running poorly, obviously, but if an item unrelated to the computer or tune breaks, they still have to honor that warranty. You can always remove the tune and it's not detectable that it was tuned, only that it was reset recently. That's the smart thing to do.

And I do believe that all bama tuner purchases come with tunes for life, but you can double check that on their website. The tuner can hold a couple extra tunes, so you can get one for higher octane and performance, or one for lower octane and more economy but still have throttle response, better AT, and all that.

Now, as far as work done by the dealership, are you talking about warranty work, or work you're paying for, or what? Depending on the dealership, they may or may not work with you more with a tune. I know my dealership does a lot of aftermarket installs and is a little more friendly to that. Like I said before, they won't look at the tune or anything if they are doing unrelated work, and won't void any warranties or refuse any work because of it. I'd just suggest removing the tune before you go if you're trying to get anything engine or computer related then. They aren't going to diagnose with your tune on if it's possibly causing the issue. Just use your best judgement.

And I can't recall if you have to get a tune written for the gears, or if it's an option on the tuner regardless of the tune, but you would need to get a tuner to adjust the speedo after getting gears. You don't have to tune for the gears for any reason than to reset the speedo though.

Maybe that'll get you guys started. Others can fill in where I missed, and AM may even chime in with more info.
Old 09-06-2013, 06:23 PM
OlPal
2nd Gear Member

Thanks AJ, you've answered a bunch of my questions..

Where's the OBD II port..?

I hope a lot of '11 & '14 V6 guys chime in also !
Thanks Again ! I'm learn'n
Old 09-06-2013, 06:42 PM
AJ06GT
5th Gear Member

Oh yeah, meant to say that. It's under the drivers side dash on the far left. Unless they moved it on the newer ones, but I doubt it.
Old 09-07-2013, 09:16 PM
MustangInTexas
2nd Gear Member

From what I understand, you'll need a tune for new gears or else the speedometer will be off. I have a tune on my v6 and really love it. My car is pretty quick, really. As for taking your car into the dealer, I would remove the tune (go back to stock) for ANY work at the dealer. If they have the car and also have a "fix" for your computer, they could flash the computer, rendering your tuner as unusable (or tell them you have a tune and to NOT flash the computer).

The ODBII port is still on the left side of the steering wheel. It's down just past where the plastic ends. Once you find it, it's really easy to find again.

If you go ahead and get a tuner, I would suggest going to youtube and look for a video on how to install it. I found one that goes through the install step-by-step. The turner will tell you what to do but this way, you'll know what to expect.
Old 09-08-2013, 08:34 AM
OlPal
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MustangInTexas
From what I understand, you'll need a tune for new gears or else the speedometer will be off. I have a tune on my v6 and really love it. My car is pretty quick, really. As for taking your car into the dealer, I would remove the tune (go back to stock) for ANY work at the dealer. If they have the car and also have a "fix" for your computer, they could flash the computer, rendering your tuner as unusable (or tell them you have a tune and to NOT flash the computer).

The ODBII port is still on the left side of the steering wheel. It's down just past where the plastic ends. Once you find it, it's really easy to find again.

If you go ahead and get a tuner, I would suggest going to youtube and look for a video on how to install it. I found one that goes through the install step-by-step. The turner will tell you what to do but this way, you'll know what to expect.

Excellent idea Texas, I've been spending so much time on youtube foe exhausts [am now focused on Magnaflow Street Cat-Back] that I didn't even think of Tuner coverage there !
Hi Ho !! Hi Ho !! It's off to Youtube I go.. [& i'm 65 yr's old]
Old 09-08-2013, 11:53 AM
OlPal
2nd Gear Member

Sorry for Double Post !

Last edited by OlPal; 09-08-2013 at 11:58 AM.
Old 09-08-2013, 11:55 AM
OlPal
2nd Gear Member

As Mustang in Texas suggested,

Good Walk Thru Dem !

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 'Bama Tune for Dummies or Tuner 101