Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Ford Racing Touring Axle-Back Exhaust Advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 08:15 AM
GTC
1st Gear Member

Default Ford Racing Touring Axle-Back Exhaust Advice

So I'm seriously wanting to purchase the Ford Racing Touring Axle-Back Exhaust.

I know they sound great, but while many sellers have "unleashes power" kind of statements, I can't find any real information/numbers on what it means for increased power?

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you
Old 12-10-2013, 08:41 AM
maxmustang
1st Gear Member

Most axle-backs are just meant for looks and sound. If you are looking for real power/performance I would look into a different exhaust setup
Old 12-11-2013, 04:50 AM
Siber Express
3rd Gear Member

Don't know about unleashing any power, but hit the throttle and you get a bit bigger smile on your face.
The only thing that really was a big difference on my exhaust was the Short tube headers, they brought in low to mid range power.
Old 12-11-2013, 05:34 AM
shinerttu
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by maxmustang
Most axle-backs are just meant for looks and sound. If you are looking for real power/performance I would look into a different exhaust setup
Anyone know why this is? I got something like 15-20hp when I added nismo cat back exhaust on my Nissan.
Old 12-11-2013, 07:54 PM
Mike1Six

Originally Posted by shinerttu
Anyone know why this is? I got something like 15-20hp when I added nismo cat back exhaust on my Nissan.
With the axle-back you are still retaining the factory exhaust pipes from the cats to the muffler. Thus, there is more restriction with a smaller diameter pipe. When you replaced your exhaust on the Z-car you replaced the piping and mufflers, i'm betting with larger diameter piping which in turn provided better exhaust flow.

I just wanted to add to this...

Even with a "Cat-back" you will still have restrictive elements that impede exhaust flow. Headers and cat for example.

To maximize performance (flow) you would need to replace pretty much everything(Headers, Cats, exhaust piping, and mufflers) Keep in mind too, it may not just be the size of the piping but also how it's the different elements are caste/finished (Google mandrel exhaust or polished headers). A smoother surface flows more efficiently.

Last edited by Mike1Six; 12-12-2013 at 04:27 PM.
Old 12-13-2013, 08:57 AM
Matt's 95 Stang
Resident Ginger

Originally Posted by Mike1Six
With the axle-back you are still retaining the factory exhaust pipes from the cats to the muffler. Thus, there is more restriction with a smaller diameter pipe. When you replaced your exhaust on the Z-car you replaced the piping and mufflers, i'm betting with larger diameter piping which in turn provided better exhaust flow.

I just wanted to add to this...

Even with a "Cat-back" you will still have restrictive elements that impede exhaust flow. Headers and cat for example.

To maximize performance (flow) you would need to replace pretty much everything(Headers, Cats, exhaust piping, and mufflers) Keep in mind too, it may not just be the size of the piping but also how it's the different elements are caste/finished (Google mandrel exhaust or polished headers). A smoother surface flows more efficiently.
What he said. With AB's you are still running 2.25 in piping from the engine back. Now if you were to open that up and run BBK headers (short or LT), with the FRPP cut and clamp "X" pipe (2.5in) with a catback (2.5in) then you will breath better and get flow equaling more power. This is why I dont have exhaust yet. ATAK catback comes with a 1K price tag that I just can not swing right now.

Matthew