Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Oil catch can on v6?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 01:11 AM
J7erry
1st Gear Member

This is my first Mustang, but I have never heard of a catch pan. Is that what JLT Oil Separator is?
Old 10-21-2013, 01:19 AM
J7erry
1st Gear Member

Can't delete. Look online before I ask. But is it really necessary?
Old 10-21-2013, 08:20 AM
MustangInTexas
2nd Gear Member

Go take your passenger side PCV hose off and look at the ends (it unclips very easily). If you see oil in there, you'll know why you want the separator (catch can). It sold me instantly and I bought the satin JLT.

I don't understand why this isn't incorporated at the PCV valve. The oil could just drain back into the motor.
Old 10-21-2013, 02:47 PM
StangDawg

Thumbs up GET A FRIGGEN CATCH CAN ALREADY!

Originally Posted by MustangInTexas
Go take your passenger side PCV hose off and look at the ends (it unclips very easily). If you see oil in there, you'll know why you want the separator (catch can). It sold me instantly and I bought the satin JLT.

I don't understand why this isn't incorporated at the PCV valve. The oil could just drain back into the motor.
Absolutely agree. I bought the JLT oil separator for my V6 and took me 30 seconds to install. I ran it for 1 month and opened the canister to find about a table spoon of dark fluid. Do the math, over the life time of the engine, that's alot of crap going into the intake. Took 30 seconds to empty the canister. I'll empty it at each oil change or sooner, depending on how much I've driven. I've had catch cans on other cars but the JTL is the best and worth every penny. Made for the car, plug and play and your clean. Do your engine a favor, get a catch can! This one gets the no brainer award
Old 10-30-2013, 11:05 AM
Gary Ugarek
4th Gear Member

Thanks. BTW, what do y'all do with this teaspoon of oil when you empty the can? (Be honest, there's no one here but us.)
Its motor oil I dump it in the GFs car. We run the same strength. I check it for particulate but otherwise it is just motor oil.
Old 10-31-2013, 07:09 PM
MustangInTexas
2nd Gear Member

You don't put it back in yours? Any reason it no good in the Stang?
Old 10-31-2013, 08:04 PM
JimC

The oil in the catch can is contaminated and it isn't recommended that you put it back in the crankcase. It definitely has a different odor to it.
Old 11-04-2013, 08:21 AM
StangDawg

Exclamation This is how the oil separator (catch can) works.

I copied this from JLT's website for your reading pleasure:

"During the process of venting crankcase pressure back through your intake track, large amounts of oil, in the form of vapors, can coat your blower rotors, intercooler fins and even dilute your gas, lowering its octane level. This happens on all engines and is even worse when supercharged as crankcase pressures are increased.

To combat this, we have developed an oil separator of our own design. Milled from solid billet aluminum this is a rock solid piece. It has a knurled tank base for easy removal to drain the spent oil and an O ring seal to prevent any leaks. We took this unit a step further and added a metal mesh Filter element. This element collects the vapors allowing them to grow into droplets and drop into the tank.

The tank holds 1.5 oz of fluid, while that may not sound like a lot, it's so easy to check and empty you can easily go 2-3000 miles in between emptying.

JLT Oil Separator is designed to work on any engine, but we have made it easy for many of the popular Mustangs. No more drilling holes and routing hoses all over your engine bay. Offered as a plug and play set up for many applications with factory PCV hard lines already attached. Simply unplug your stock line and attach the new set up, easy as that. When you’re ready to empty the tank, just undo the clips on the factory lines and remove the entire line, unscrew the tank, empty and reinstall. This will take less then 1 minute to complete, too easy!!"

JLT Oil Separator Link
Old 11-06-2013, 09:46 PM
I_Call_D.I.B.s
2nd Gear Member

In additions to what JimC said...

Originally Posted by JimC
The oil in the catch can is contaminated and it isn't recommended that you put it back in the crankcase. It definitely has a different odor to it.
...such a system can clog up over time. My 1994 Alfa Romeo 164 has the the exact setup you mention from the factory and I had to clean it out thoroughly because the blow-by was getting excessive. Then again, it has over 206K miles on it so depending on canister size and amount of blow-by it may take a while to get there.
Old 11-07-2013, 08:52 AM
Gary Ugarek
4th Gear Member

This is a solid investment. When I bought the 2011 V6 it had 42k on the clock and TB was filthy (Former rental car) I had the FI cleaned and the TB cleaned out, once that was done and oil changed I slapped on the new catch can.

Every 5.0 I have bought the CC is installed the minute I sign papers making it mine. I had the one for my new 5.0 in my possession the day it came home.

I can attest to the stuff these things catch and after seeing what it can do to prevent gumming up a system I was sold. Those of you with 5.0's or V6 models without them take of your intake hose and look down inside your tB if you're pushing 30-50k on the clock. It is an oily mess inside. Prevent it from happening again.

Quick Reply: Oil catch can on v6?