Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Drive Shaft or Rims?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2013, 07:45 PM
WORKISSLOW
2nd Gear Member

Default Drive Shaft or Rims?

I didn't have the funds to do much with Mustang this year and I think next year is looking about the same.

So with a budget to do either a drive shaft or Wheels I am trying to decide which I will enjoy more.

This is kind of a multi-part question.

I got 52k+ on my OEM 17" base model wheels and tires, So I know I will have to replace my tires in the next year (I drive at least 20k a year).

I would like to go to a tire with a 45-50 profile but I don't want to spend a lot or wind up with tire that have a short life.

I would like to find some light weight rims, I am not picky about looks.

The OEM tires are a low rolling resistance tire and I am wondering if you can get a wheel and tire combo that offer the same sort of gas saving efficiency, lower over all weight and long life span?

Of course the other option is just to stick with a new set of EOM type tires on the OEM 17" Rims and get a new one pc AL drive shaft.

So what choice would you guys make and why?
Old 12-13-2013, 07:57 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

If the '12 uses a heavy DS like the 4.6L does, then I'd go with the DS. As far as tires, I bought a Stang for performance so I'd choose a performance tires (but with some of the characteristics you're looking for) in lieu of a tire that'll save you, what, MAYBE 1 MPG? Who knows, you may find a performance tire with low rolling resistance characteristics, too.

A set of wheels with enough weight savings to make the same difference as an aluminum DS will cost a ton, IMO.
Old 12-13-2013, 08:05 PM
WORKISSLOW
2nd Gear Member

I have the 2 pc steel shaft. I think most of the aftermarket 1 pc shafts are around 10lbs lighter. For my car they 1 pc shafts around $700
Old 12-13-2013, 10:13 PM
hogasswild
3rd Gear Member

You'll enjoy the wheels more. They are something you'll see every day and replacing the LRR with anything else will improve your grip. The DS is a modest performance improvement and it's something you never really see again unless you're under the car.
Old 12-15-2013, 06:53 PM
Mike1Six

Unless you drive faster than 115 miles an hour on a regular basis or you've swapped up to a steeper gear I don't see a need for a drive shaft. Even with a stepper gear, I doubt the drive-shaft is required.

I would go with wheel/ tire combo. The handling performance you would get from wider tires in my opinion, outweighs the benefits of a drive-shaft. Of course, I normally don't drive faster than 80-85 mph.

Last edited by Mike1Six; 12-15-2013 at 06:56 PM.
Old 12-15-2013, 09:17 PM
WindyMustang
2nd Gear Member

Save the DS for when you make other performance upgrades. Keeping your car pointed the intended direction with better wheels and tires comes first!
Old 12-15-2013, 10:42 PM
semantic
1st Gear Member

19" rims look damn good on the S197 body. Honestly they just suit the contours perfectly. Personally I want you to get the DS so you can tell us what difference you notice. But the wheels will no doubt make you smile.
Old 12-17-2013, 02:06 PM
WORKISSLOW
2nd Gear Member

It is gonna be a tough call, I don't think all that much about what is going to look like, it is more about how it feels. I know I will like the improvements from both a new DS and some new shoes. Every once in a while I get to go out and do some runs on a private stretch out in the desert, one of these days I would like to see just how fast it will go but I want to wait till I get speed rated tires and a new DS (with some hoops).

The Truth is day to day, week to week I got hit the gas station at least once if not twice a week and right now and I pay about $3.69 a gallon for 91 Octane. So I can't really get away from the curiosity of just how much more efficiency I can squeeze out with better parts.

I am having a tough time wrapping my head around the wheel and tire options, 18" or 19" wheels? Just how much rubber is a nice blend of improved grip with out adding a lot of extra weight and expense? The whole rim weight thing is kind of maddening, you can find different weights listed for the same is exact size and model, you don't know who to trust.

Has anybody ran Sparco Rims before? are they descent?

I would like to get a tire profile around 45 or 50, that seems about right for me.

On the other hand a new DS is simple and straight forward, there is only 3 or 4 to choose from and the difference are less consequential and it doesn't wear out like tires do. You know what I mean?

and for the sake of discussion I have done some mods,
Steeda CAI
Steeda Tune
BBK TB
Accel Super Coils
JLT Oil Separator
Amsoil Signature Series
Strut Brace
Steeda Billet Lower Control Arms in the Rear

Last edited by WORKISSLOW; 12-17-2013 at 05:48 PM. Reason: Changed out my Soil Separator
Old 12-17-2013, 02:58 PM
13V6coupe
I drive a V6 because I'm a giant wimp

^ Soil seperator...

Are you into mining with your car? (I know it is a typo, just giving you a hard time)

Anyways, I have the performance package it came with 19" wheels, 255/40/19 summer only "performance" tires I believe and I like them. I still can get over 32mpg on the open road and that didn't change when I got the driveshaft, but yes there is a pretty good amount of weight difference in the oe shaft vs the aftermarket shaft. The security of running up over the oe regulated speed limiter without fear of failure and the knowledge if I ever really had to outrun someone I have a better chance now. ( You know zombie apocalypse or some such ****)
Old 12-30-2013, 06:47 PM
WORKISSLOW
2nd Gear Member

After looking at the specs on a lot of rims and reading about tires, I think I narrowed it down. I am gonna go with the 18x8 TSW Nurenburgrings and the Nitto Motiva (Sp) tires.

Quick Reply: Drive Shaft or Rims?