Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

2013 v6 automatic 0-60 time help

Old 03-19-2014, 07:36 AM
Chromeshadow
3rd Gear Member

Hogasswild- what are your mods? Did you find an exhaust system that sounds decent?
Old 03-19-2014, 06:45 PM
hogasswild
3rd Gear Member

They are in my profile.
Old 03-22-2014, 02:23 PM
Moronix
1st Gear Member

Smile

Originally Posted by SeanB97
Wow, that sucks considering you have a tune on it. I think the biggest difference maker for you would be to get higher 3.31 gears or even 3.73s. Vis versa goes for me, I need a tune lol.
You are right of course. The new gears 3.31/3.55/3.73 would make it feel more like my old V8 but I don't want to give up my gas mileage. I'm retired and I don't need the extra get-up. It has plenty as it is. It was just disappointing to read that time when it was done. I honestly don't believe the CAI/Tuner give enough HP to "feel" the difference. I like the "growl" of the CAI and I was hoping for more MPG when I used the Tuner.
Old 03-22-2014, 03:17 PM
bryan67
2nd Gear Member

just reading some of Hogs comments. spent 4k to get the v6 match the V8 performance. Talks about about weight. only 118 lb diff. curb weight. think the 120 Hp diff. more then makes up for that. Looking at 2014 specs. and 4 MPG diff. I think the V-6 is Great for a cruising but if you wanted a 1/4 mile car dont understand choosing the V-6. with just a few mods the v-8 can get into the low 12's to mid 11's very easily. I know for my 2014 theres a track key option supposed to be released soon that really makes the V-8 a sweet car for street/track dutys.
Old 03-22-2014, 03:21 PM
JimC

I decided to try the track app and see what my car with 2.73 gears can do on a Bama street tune --- 5.8.

Need to load the hybrid tune and see what it gets, then the MPT tune and see what it gets me. That is if the weather holds off and we don't get more snow as they are predicting.

Need that to compare the 2.73 to the new 3.55 going in the car next week.
Old 03-22-2014, 03:25 PM
bryan67
2nd Gear Member

think you'll really like the 3.55's its going to drop you MPG alittle but the extra down low pull really makes the car feel stronger.
Old 03-22-2014, 08:29 PM
hogasswild
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by bryan67
just reading some of Hogs comments. spent 4k to get the v6 match the V8 performance. Talks about about weight. only 118 lb diff. curb weight. think the 120 Hp diff. more then makes up for that. Looking at 2014 specs. and 4 MPG diff. I think the V-6 is Great for a cruising but if you wanted a 1/4 mile car dont understand choosing the V-6. with just a few mods the v-8 can get into the low 12's to mid 11's very easily. I know for my 2014 theres a track key option supposed to be released soon that really makes the V-8 a sweet car for street/track dutys.
I had my car weighed about two months ago and it was right at 3400lbs. I just got new tires which supposedly weigh slightly less than the Pirellis I had...so I should weigh less but haven't confirmed. I'm not sure what the GT weighs.

When I bought the 3.7, I was actually considering a leftover 2010 GT. I liked the fact that I got pretty close to the old GT's straight line performance, got nearly 30mpg, but the car was a little lighter in the nose and actually handled better and stopped slightly shorter. Everyone knows you can take a bigger motor and make more power. I think those who just say, buy the v8 don't get it. I see lots of guys who dump lots of money into their 5.0s. Why didn't they just buy a GT500? For me it's a combination of things that I've already stated above in this thread. So let's please not make this a 5.0 vs 3.7 thing. Why do guys soup up Miatas, FRSs and on?
Old 03-23-2014, 06:26 AM
bryan67
2nd Gear Member

im not making a v-6 vs v-8 thing. was also going to ask what you getting for mpg after all your mods? Just wonder if someone is worrying about there 0-60 and wants quicker why they didnt opt for the V-8? Like i said for a cruising car the V-6 is more then enough IMO.and specially in a conv. think the v-6 is a great option. You mention cost. why dont we all buy Gt500's. well its a 20K diff. not the 3 k diff. i saw on the lot from the v-6 to v-8. and since most do finance their cars 3k aint that much of a payment increase. Been racing cars in many forms for 25 years now. And I do agree each car has a purpose, I;d soup up a Miata for autocross or road racing. I wouldnt try and make a drag car out of 1. So guess jsut wondering some peoples train of thought is all? ITs all good whatever you build as long as you reach your own goal for the car thats what matters. ;-)
Old 03-23-2014, 07:07 AM
hogasswild
3rd Gear Member

When I was buying, the price difference between a premium v6 and a premium GT was about $9k out the door. I guess you could say it's $3k if you're talking an upper end v6 vs a base GT.

What my train of thought was getting a decent performance car. Honestly I had set my budget at $50k and was pretty much dead set on buying a 135i. At the time I drove a bunch of cars and the 3.31 geared v6 mustang was the car that surprised me the most for what you got. Of course I do like the 5.0, but was wanting a few more MPGs than it offered. The price in comparisons to a 135/335 was definitely lower so it's also a bargain. I knew that whatever car I was going to get, I'd want to mod it and mustangs have a lot of aftermarket support with fairly inexpensive parts compared to European cars.

I was getting from 28-30mpg on the highway. I've got new tires and noticed it's dropped some, but I'll drive a few tanks before I make a definitive claim.

So I guess at the end of the day I was looking for balance. Something that was relatively quick that handled well, was a comfortable 2+2 and got decent fuel economy. Since then, I've made it an even better car and have been surprised that if I keep my foot out of it, I get very similar MPGs to when it was stock.

Last edited by hogasswild; 03-23-2014 at 07:12 AM.
Old 03-23-2014, 09:56 PM
hogasswild
3rd Gear Member

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2013 v6 automatic 0-60 time help