Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

JLT oil separator install question

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 07:04 PM
Bob T
1st Gear Member

Default JLT oil separator install question

I know this should have been an easy one minute install, and it was, except the sticker on the hose that has an arrow pointing "to intake" is pointing towards the valve cover and not the intake.
My very first modification on this car, and an easy one at that, and I need to verify I installed it correct.
It looks like you can only install it one way, and mine matches the images on the American Muscle website.
See attached image and tell me what you think.
Name:  JLT_zps07ba125e.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  186.8 KB
Old 04-18-2014, 07:28 PM
JimC

You have it installed correctly. The hoses are actually for a different vehicle (can't remember which one) and they are cut for the JLT to fit properly. It isn't necessary for it to flow in that direction because it is only a straight piece of hose on each end of the unit.
Old 04-18-2014, 07:45 PM
Bob T
1st Gear Member

Thanks JimC!
This is the first of what I hope to be many modifications. A simple modification but still excited to make the first one!
Old 04-24-2014, 08:40 AM
AMDanBailer
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Bob T
I know this should have been an easy one minute install, and it was, except the sticker on the hose that has an arrow pointing "to intake" is pointing towards the valve cover and not the intake.
My very first modification on this car, and an easy one at that, and I need to verify I installed it correct.
It looks like you can only install it one way, and mine matches the images on the American Muscle website.
See attached image and tell me what you think.
Originally Posted by JimC
You have it installed correctly. The hoses are actually for a different vehicle (can't remember which one) and they are cut for the JLT to fit properly. It isn't necessary for it to flow in that direction because it is only a straight piece of hose on each end of the unit.
^ This is correct. You have the Separator installed correctly. Good first mod! What else do you have planned for your car?

-Dan
Old 04-24-2014, 02:13 PM
Bob T
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by AMDanBailer
^ This is correct. You have the Separator installed correctly. Good first mod! What else do you have planned for your car?

-Dan
Glad you asked!

I plan on doing some of the typical mods like CAI, tune, headers, maybe gears, maybe driveshaft, maybe suspension mods, possibly leading up to a procharger. Undecided at this point on how far I want to take it.

The V6 project car that you guys have is an excellent blueprint and one that I will be referring to, no need to re-invent the wheel if someone else has already done the research for you.

I do have a question about prochargers on these cars for you.
These engines already have a pretty high compression ratio, I'm wondering how you can add forced induction with say 6-8 lbs of boost on something that is already high compression and borderline on pump gas. Maybe you've already covered this and I missed it.
How much power difference would you see on say a 2013 V6 Mustang with a procharger, one with pump gas and the tune optimized for that, and one with race gas and the tune optimized for that?

Thanks!
Old 06-18-2014, 03:59 PM
CCXVI

What does this mod do?
Old 06-18-2014, 08:11 PM
Joenpb
2nd Gear Member

Its preventive maintenance, that minimizes pcv oil vapor entering the intake, condensing, & forming a gunk film.
Old 06-18-2014, 11:47 PM
CCXVI

Seems useful. Is this a bigger issue with this motor? I've never heard about it on any other car.
Old 06-19-2014, 09:31 PM
Joenpb
2nd Gear Member

Fords have quite a bit of pcv blowby in part because 5w20 oil evaporates more. So i tried heavier weight oil, but after a few used oil analysis's, the engine preferred 5w20 oil. So I've stayed with it.
Old 06-20-2014, 09:36 PM
CCXVI

Good to know, thanks.