Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Coolant Soaked Driver Floorboard on new 2014

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2014, 01:33 AM
tucsondivots

Default Coolant Soaked Driver Floorboard on new 2014

Picked up my new 2014 V6 last Monday and noticed an unpleasant smell late Saturday. Thought it might have been wet gym towel in trunk but then noticed the driver side floormat and floorboard underneath are soaked with what appears to be coolant. I checked the coolant reservoir and it is very low. I only have 300 miles on it so will be calling the dealer in the morning. Has anyone had this happen? Any ideas about the cause? Thanks!
Old 08-11-2014, 01:41 AM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

Heat core leak.
Old 08-11-2014, 08:10 AM
tucsondivots

That is my fear, but on a brand new car? I am thinking the dealer should replace the carpet and floor mat and give me a loaner vehicle, assuming this is going to take awhile to fix. I had a headache yesterday from smelling the coolant in the cabin. I hope they can take the dash out and put it back in without ending up with rattles in a car that is a week old.
Old 08-11-2014, 11:28 AM
tucsondivots

Dropped it off at Dealership. They will report back. Gave me 2014 V6 Convertible as loaner. They said it might be as simple as a coolant clamp or as major as the heater core.
Old 08-11-2014, 06:37 PM
tucsondivots

Confirmed as cracked heater core. 15 hours labor after they get parts. The Dealer is working hard to make this right. Will take extra caution on R & R of dash and use foam tape in key touching parts. Also ordering new carpet. Bummer, but life goes on.
Old 08-11-2014, 06:53 PM
99GTvert
is my username.

Damn that sucks, but at least you got a loaner that is almost identical. How do you like the convertible version?
Old 08-11-2014, 07:10 PM
tucsondivots

Originally Posted by 99GTvert
Damn that sucks, but at least you got a loaner that is almost identical. How do you like the convertible version?
It is a Premium, so has the Shaker, leather seats and more gauge goodies. It has 28K miles but still seems pretty tight. Have not played with the top yet. Looks like I will have it long enough to try it out, though. Mine is a base with Sync and Tech packages.
Old 08-17-2014, 02:16 PM
tucsondivots

Heater core and carpeting have been replaced in my 2014 with 352 miles. I am picking it up tomorrow. Keeping my fingers crossed that everything works and no rattles. I had a nightmare about seeing the dash in pieces on the floor. Maybe I should purchase the Ford ESP plan. I am sure hoping to be able to start enjoying my car.
Old 08-18-2014, 04:57 PM
tucsondivots

I picked up my 2014 Mustang today after a full 7 days in th shop. They replaced the heater core and all the carpeting. So far, everything looks and runs perfect! The Service Advisor said at one point the carpeting, center console, seats and whole dash was out of the car. He thought about taking a photo, but did not. So, with 360 miles on the odometer I am ready to really enjoy my new pony!
Old 08-18-2014, 07:00 PM
99GTvert
is my username.

Thats good. Hope that fixed it.

Quick Reply: Coolant Soaked Driver Floorboard on new 2014