Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Recommended 3.7 V6 Tune?

Old 08-16-2014, 11:04 AM
PandaSmuggler
1st Gear Member

Default Recommended 3.7 V6 Tune?

Hello,

I apologized if this topic has been beat to death, but I didn't see anything posted about this specifically for the 3.7 V6 (most of the related topics seems to be GT-centric).

I was wondering what is everyone's favorite tune? I've posted this question in another forum and from the very few responses, it seems BAMA is the way to go.

First and foremost, I am only considering tuners that offer "free tunes for life". My current budget only allows for this, as much as I know going to a local SCT tuner is going to squeeze every hp/tq out of my car, I do plan to add mods as I go, and this would not be cost effective to do another dyno pull each and every time I add a bolt-on. AFAIK, this limits me to Steeda and BAMA.

I'm leaning towards Steeda, as I have some qualms with BAMA. I noticed in one of my print AM magazines, that they claimed +37hp with their BAMA/JLT intake combo. I tried contacting them to see if they had any dyno sheets proving this and I never heard back from them.

So what would y'all recommend for a tuner? Has anyone had any experience with both?

Last edited by PandaSmuggler; 08-16-2014 at 11:05 AM. Reason: Ugh! Title should read "Recommended" not "Recommend" - need moar coffee!
Old 08-16-2014, 03:42 PM
Matt's 95 Stang
Resident Ginger

Having run BAMA for a few years now, and having a friend also run the same tune we are both disappointed with them. They use to be very good about their tunes but now they send everyone the same "caned" tune and I actually lost TQ with their new tune after adding new parts. Lund has the fasted NA 3.7 right now, they are pricey at $200 for tunes but if you want the most power you have to pay to play.

Matthew
Old 08-16-2014, 09:55 PM
PandaSmuggler
1st Gear Member

Understood. The SCT tuner already costs around $400 so adding another $200 makes it pretty steep. However, paying money only to lose power over stock is even worse :P
Old 08-17-2014, 02:18 PM
hogasswild
3rd Gear Member

Having been thoroughly down the Bama route for three years, I finally switched to MPT. I think several members have also done the same thing. MPT provides a much better tune that is also safe. I've been running my MPT tune for about 30,000 miles and haven't had any issues. They don't offer tunes for life, but in this case you get what you pay for. $75 you pay to MPT gets you six months of tuning support such as datalogging, retuning or updated tunes if you do any upgrades. I think they offer a discount if you're a returning customer after that six months.
Old 08-17-2014, 06:19 PM
Jande063
1st Gear Member

I am pretty happy with my Steeda tune, just edged out an LS1 powered ESP class Trans Am at a local autocross today. I enjoy the responsiveness, the extra bit of bottom end torque (still not this engine's strong suit though), but wish that there was a different type of rev limiter. The current limiter will cut all power for a pre determined (not small) amount of time, then give back full power for an instant, then repeat the cycle. For my purposes, a soft limiter, or even a really fast hard limiter would be much more stable (sometimes it is better to bounce the limiter as shifting costs about 1/8 of a second each change). They may be able to put together a soft limiter if you specifically request it, not sure though.
Old 08-17-2014, 08:14 PM
tj@steeda
3rd Gear Member

I am pretty happy with my Steeda tune,
Our tunes are very popular among the Mustang enthusiasts & are very safe, reliable & powerful. We also offer tunes for life.

Let me know if I can help answer anything for you ... I will let others weigh in ... but you can reach me at tim@steeda.com if I can assist with anything further.

Best Regards,

TJ
Old 09-01-2014, 02:17 PM
PandaSmuggler
1st Gear Member

Thanks everyone! I ended up going with a Steeda CAI and Tune. Their sale made it an absolute steal. I'm looking forward to installing it next weekend
Old 09-02-2014, 07:19 AM
tj@steeda
3rd Gear Member

Thank you for the support.

Please keep us updated as to the the before & after.

Best Regards,

TJ
Old 09-02-2014, 06:37 PM
eastexsteve

Been running the Bama 93 octane race tune now for 60k miles. I love it. Gets great mpg too!
Old 09-24-2014, 10:21 PM
jonb2

Have tunes from most of the major vendors out there. After spending too much $$$ on tunes, ending up liking the Bama and MPT tunes the best. Stayed with 87S Bama until I tried MPT. Daily driver is now either 87 MPT or 91 MPT depending on how aggressive I feel--91 is a bit more aggressive. 87S Bama is very smooth too. Just depends on what you prefer.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Recommended 3.7 V6 Tune?