Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Unbelievable pricing on axle/cat-backs

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 02:02 PM
SSG Steggy

Default Unbelievable pricing on axle/cat-backs

Man, I can't believe how expensive exhaust systems have become. I remember working on my dad's '71 f100 (20+ years ago) with 351C and cutting and bending pipe and welding on the mufflers ourselves. I don't remember the exhaust costing as much as it does today.

I couldn't bring myself to spend the $350+ on a bolt on axleback system, so I bought two chamber mufflers from summit racing, 2.5" in/out offset. They should be delivered tomorrow, and I plan on cutting the stock and installing the new ones on Friday.

What do you guys think about the sound of a two chamber on v6. Just don't want it to be ricey or tinny. Was thinking that if it did come out that way, I may just add some old style turbo mufflers in line under the car to take out the high pitch.

Soon, future mod will be lethal performance o/r x-pipe.

Any thoughts?
Old 09-01-2014, 12:38 PM
yourmom6990
4th Gear Member

Just so you know, the stock exhaust on these v6's is 2.25in. Not sure if it's going to make a huge difference. From experience, you get what you pay for. Not sure how its going to sound with just mufflers, but with an o/r x pipe on these 6bangers its going to sound ricey/tinny regardless of what mufflers you have. It's going to sound loud and obnoxious for a v6. Just my opinion, to each their own. I have spent countless hours researching which exhaust to get because I didn't want it to sound like a ricer either. I ended up getting a set of BBK shorty headers with a FRPP cut/clamp xpipe and a set of borla s-types and it sounds amazing for a v6. I had a set of ATAKs on it but they were wayyyyy to loud for a v6 so I ended up trading with this dude and he gave me cash. So I installed them for him and I ended up paying only $250 for my Borlas I love the sound. If I were you, I would stay away from the catless systems.
Old 09-01-2014, 07:53 PM
SSG Steggy

Thanks yourmom6990, for the input. There is a V6 auto around my neighborhood with the replacement Flowmaster mufflers. Sounded really good, but he just cut the cats out, and now, like you said, obnoxiously loud. Think that I won't do the o/r x pipe, but maybe high flow cats instead. Really like the sound of the summit racing mufflers for the price, not tinny at all high rpm's do get a little raspy, but down low, it growls.

yes 2.25" inch is correct, I misread a post where I was looking for the stock size and ordered the 2.5" in/out. had to use adapter to mount. used double wall stainless 3.5" tips. Looks similar to stock, but sounds much better. I like it, and that's what matters.
Old 09-01-2014, 09:59 PM
cruisin5268d
4th Gear Member

The v6 exhaust will always sound like.....v6 exhaust. Don't get you hopes up to high; and enjoy whatever sound you get when you fire your car up.
Old 09-02-2014, 12:20 AM
yourmom6990
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SSG Steggy
Thanks yourmom6990, for the input. There is a V6 auto around my neighborhood with the replacement Flowmaster mufflers. Sounded really good, but he just cut the cats out, and now, like you said, obnoxiously loud. Think that I won't do the o/r x pipe, but maybe high flow cats instead. Really like the sound of the summit racing mufflers for the price, not tinny at all high rpm's do get a little raspy, but down low, it growls.

yes 2.25" inch is correct, I misread a post where I was looking for the stock size and ordered the 2.5" in/out. had to use adapter to mount. used double wall stainless 3.5" tips. Looks similar to stock, but sounds much better. I like it, and that's what matters.
Very nice. I've heard a couple with highflow cats and they sound pretty decent. I might eventually get highflows but it was a bit pricy at the time. I'd rather get a one piece driveshaft :P