Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Need a little help sorting improved clutch hydraulics

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 09:33 PM
basshed

Default Need a little help sorting improved clutch hydraulics

I have a '14 Base Mustang. 2.73 rear end gear. It's running 275/35 on 18x9.5" all around. tuned with a speedo adjustment for that size , trimmed to fit. First started noticing the weak clutch issue after a couple dozen drag passes plus another 30 or so autocross runs. low to no clutch pedal pressure, pedal doesn't return up right away unless pumped.

So in the quest to eliminate that condition I've replaced everything except the master cylinder with aftermarket gear. Ram Aluminum flywheel, Ram HDX clutch, Ram adjustable slave with pedal adjuster kit with a .183 gap to the clutch. All stainless lines. Separated the clutch from the brake system entirely with it's own reservoir mounted to the shock tower. Bled the system as well as I know how - only fluid comes out the bleeder on the slave. the Master hasn't bubbled after doing the pedal therapy (10-12 slow pumps). I still have issues with high rpm shifts - tho now it's a disengagement issue. at 5.5k I can still shift smooth. at 6k, the clutch is dragging and while I can pop the car into nuetral without abuse - it won't go into any gear til the rpms drop below 5.5k.

I've had a exedy clutch with their stock like slave in there. it goes weak as well so I know it's not entirely the slave's fault. Looking for a guru's thoughts on the stock master cylinder losing fluid back to the reservoir thru the self bleeder with the heavier clutch pressure plate. I've pulled two master cylinders out of the firewall trying to set up the system so it works - this one is actually holding up to daily driving but something is releasing pressure and letting the clutch out at high rpms. I've removed the spring helper on the pedal as well - so there's none of the driving aids ford built in to push the pedal down. i.e. the stock slave is sprung where the ram is not so I'm suspicious that the master is now overtaxed. I'm seeing little black particles in the reservoir - very unnerving with everything being brand new. any help?

Last edited by basshed; 09-08-2014 at 09:46 PM.