Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Top Speed?

Old 07-07-2015, 11:09 AM
Mobiusone stang
2nd Gear Member

Default Top Speed?

And before y'all go off, no, I do not want to find out the top speed on the highway lol. I'm not that stupid. But I was curious because I read somewhere the top speed of the 2014 Performance Pack 3.7 was 112? The reason they said was because of the driveshaft... I mean I got my measly 3.8 newedge probably making the best of 120 rwhp up to 115 (closed course of course :P ). Is this really true? :O Say it ain't so!
Old 07-07-2015, 01:52 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

the car can easily go faster than 112 mph but the top speed is typically limited for one specific reason and one speculative reason (in the case of the mustang 3.7L).

Specific reason:
OEM Tire capabilities although I would think with the Performance pack that is no longer an issue and,

Speculative reason:
Driveshaft - There has only been one documented driveshaft failure and several studies done that come to a theoretical conclusion but never actually show a definitive failure. This was also only on the 2010/2011 where it was an issue, haven't heard about 2012+ models.

Besides, aside from a closed course, where else can you safely/legally reach the top speed? Plus if you're going to be tracking the car you would get a tune anyway that can easily remove the speed limiter.
Old 07-07-2015, 01:52 PM
yourmom6990
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mobiusone stang
And before y'all go off, no, I do not want to find out the top speed on the highway lol. I'm not that stupid. But I was curious because I read somewhere the top speed of the 2014 Performance Pack 3.7 was 112? The reason they said was because of the driveshaft... I mean I got my measly 3.8 newedge probably making the best of 120 rwhp up to 115 (closed course of course :P ). Is this really true? :O Say it ain't so!
The top speed of the 3.7 is definitely higher than 112. Unfortunately, Ford is running a 2-piece driveshaft for a number of reasons, and at higher speeds, the 2 piece gets out of whack and ends up "exploding" under force. (see video below ) Therefore, Ford governs the 3.7 at 112. Change out the 2piece ds to a 1piece, get a new tune to take off the governor, and a decent set of tires, and I'm sure you can see upwards of 150. I'm not responsible for any damage that might occur if you decide to do this :P

Old 07-07-2015, 02:21 PM
Chromeshadow
3rd Gear Member

Just looked at my Garmin "max speed" shows 112 mph.
Old 07-07-2015, 08:39 PM
Mobiusone stang
2nd Gear Member

Yea i've seen that video!! Tbh, the fastest ive gone is 100, and I was trying to pass a guy and didnt realize my speed... whoops! haha. But thats great to know it really isnt, just a tune and a new shaft (dirty joke somewhere in there)!
Old 07-07-2015, 09:11 PM
WindyMustang
2nd Gear Member

Aluminum driveshaft, plus engine mods shown, reprogrammed ECU, on a track, will easily blow past 115. In 4th. Still winding hard.
Old 07-15-2015, 11:09 PM
13V6coupe
I drive a V6 because I'm a giant wimp

upper 140's is the most I have seen (pre the headers) but it was still climbing albeit not real fast and I have zero doubt something in the 150's is attainable
But I did this post the driveshaft change just for caution- since I saw the video as well and heard tons of rampant claims of them gernading while driving, yet only that one case keeps surfacing---a few people have lost them on the dyno though.

my car is barely changed from a stock performance package....see list in signature line
Old 11-10-2015, 02:19 PM
Choppertwo
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 13V6coupe
upper 140's is the most I have seen (pre the headers) but it was still climbing albeit not real fast and I have zero doubt something in the 150's is attainable
But I did this post the driveshaft change just for caution- since I saw the video as well and heard tons of rampant claims of them gernading while driving, yet only that one case keeps surfacing---a few people have lost them on the dyno though.

my car is barely changed from a stock performance package....see list in signature line
I know tis post is a few months old, but what did you feel the one piece driveshaft did for you
Old 11-11-2015, 11:59 AM
13V6coupe
I drive a V6 because I'm a giant wimp

Originally Posted by Choppertwo
I know tis post is a few months old, but what did you feel the one piece driveshaft did for you
Insurance against anything like that video happening to my car....

It may require a tic less gas and maybe even allow a tic quicker clutch release from stoplights? But I only put it in for insurance reasons against the oe having some catastrophic failure.
Been to RA and BIR with it a couple times and repeatedly exceed 140 at both, so wanted to make sure no driveshaft failures occurred even though there are numerous reports of people on the stock driveshaft surpassing those speeds with no ill affects just as there are people saying it has
Old 11-11-2015, 12:04 PM
ucinn
3rd Gear Member

I believe there's a 10-15 lb weight loss changing over too.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Top Speed?