Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Who has K&N Air Filterr?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 09:07 PM
MCARaceRed2011V6

Default Who has K&N Air Filterr?

Hey guys, so I was just wonder who on here just has a K&N Air Filter installed, and what kind of MPG gains you get? I installed one a couple months ago. Was on the highway on Friday and was averaging 34mpg, and tonight on my way home on the back roads, after hitting the rest button, I eventually got 23.4. Before the K&N filter I would get roughly 21 on the back roads with out getting on it, and 31 on the highway. Also have any of you experienced any cons with this product?
Old 03-16-2014, 09:15 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

K&N filter alone will not do much, its the tune that makes a true difference in the performance and MPG of a car.

MPG itself can vary drastically due to air temperature, humidity, and the millage and condition of the car.
Old 03-16-2014, 09:37 PM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

your air filter doesn't matter. it's way less of a restriction than your throttle body.
Old 03-17-2014, 06:15 AM
Chazman_1962
2nd Gear Member

I put a K&N in the first day I got my car, So I did not notice anything. I ended up taking it out and putting in a CAI and a bunch of other things along with a tune, Once completed I did see better performance and milage. The tune is the key to bring everything together
Old 03-23-2014, 08:50 PM
MCARaceRed2011V6

I plan to get jlt cai and tune in the future, for now I'm just sticking with the k&n. Really just waiting for my warrant to be up before I start mods.
Old 03-23-2014, 09:38 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

If you're talking about a drop in filter, don't expect anything - that way you won't be disappointed.
Old 03-30-2014, 01:47 PM
tacticool

I have it and have not noticed anything. I really only got it because I only have to clean it once a year or so. Unlike paper, the K&N should still keep the same airflow even when dirty...someone correct me if i am wrong LOL
Old 10-31-2014, 11:58 AM
289hipo

I tried the JLT cai that didn't require a tune. Although it is a quality product, I had lousy throttle response and hesitation when I punched it. Went back to factory box and KN panel which was ok. I then tried a AFE dry panel filter which has a unique funnel shape that goes deep in the stock box. I also drilled a one inch hole on the bottom right front of box. Results were a seat of the pants difference. Plus my gas mileage went up. I am 68 yrs. on my seventh mustang, just a old school trick that still works.
Old 11-05-2014, 11:02 PM
OlPal
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jthorn9
K&N filter alone will not do much, its the tune that makes a true difference in the performance and MPG of a car.

MPG itself can vary drastically due to air temperature, humidity, and the millage and condition of the car.

The K&N flows & Filters better than the stock paper 1 !!
That said [& it's proven] a better flow will work with the factory tune to achieve a small % of overall performance.
My results are a little bit more modest than MCAR, but there was improvement overall & the intake sound definitely improved.
All which I was going for !
Now if I was going to a p_ssn' contest to see who the quickest car I'd have went with a CAI, '
Bama Tune, X-crossover & Magnaflow CatBack system !
I'm also thinking of install Fram XG10575 Systhetic oil filter & using Pennzoil Platinum 5W20 oil..
Most things I'm doing is going for improvements to car & also fuel savings , which translates to ecology saving, money saving along with slightly better performance !
How can you argue with that ??
Old 11-10-2014, 07:45 PM
Choppertwo
3rd Gear Member

care to explain what the one inch hole does

Quick Reply: Who has K&N Air Filterr?