Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Muffler deletes or aftermarket axlebacks?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 02:30 PM
shouldhavegottheGT
2nd Gear Member

Default Muffler deletes or aftermarket axlebacks?

So I have been looking at upgrading my exhaust. Roush seems like the best value since it is just under $500. But I really like the look and sound of Borla but they are pretty steep. The other option that I have been toying with is muffler deletes. Talked to a local shop and he can do a muffler delete and add straight pipe for about $80 if I keep the stock tips. He said he can weld in glasspacks as opposed to the straight pipe for another $60 and if I want to add different tips he said that would be another $60-80 depending on the tip.

So if you are keeping track of the math, basic deletes ranging from $80-220. Or aftermarket starting at $469. What do you guys think?
Old 05-02-2014, 04:16 AM
Siber Express
3rd Gear Member

IMHO, I don't know how people can drive a car with Muffler deletes for more than a couple of minutes without getting a headache. I tried out a friends on mine and it was loud and drone across the board.
It will also lose low end to mid range power.
I am also one that does not think the 3.7 sounds all that good too loud which is why I ended up going the route I went after I already had the headers on with the Borla Touring on mine now.
Old 05-02-2014, 08:08 AM
mikeagoff

I went with the Pype Bomb Axle backs and love them. The 4" resonated tip replaces the muffler, so you get the look of a muffler delete without full unfiltered exhaust note.

A lot of guys say that they drone, but I don't really notice it. I can carry on a conversation in the car just fine (except at WOT). I can also still use Sync to make calls and haven't been told that its too noisy.

The only problem with the Pypes is the occasional popping when decelerating, but I believe you will get that anytime you don't have a muffler.
Old 05-12-2014, 07:46 AM
BKamp613
2nd Gear Member

Another satisfied Borla owner here. I'm running S-type. Had muffler deletes on my old '10 for a little bit. Droned all the damn time. Axlebacks can be a bit expensive, but it was worth it to me. No drone at all on S-types, nice sound all through powerband. No popping. Roush sounded too ricey to me.
Old 05-19-2014, 05:16 PM
Dan Phipps

I am really interested in the Borla ATAK. Just checked, the price keeps dropping.
Old 05-19-2014, 05:44 PM
billyb_at_borla
Former Sponsor

hi guys - thanks for the support! Borla exhausts have always been big with mustang owners for great reasons. our high quality t304 austenitic stainless steel means less corrosion and note that we offer a million mile warranty should anything break on your system. Also, our new mustang systems have no cabin drone and provide that great deep rumble your mustang deserves. you can always go cheaper, you can always go the easier route, our customers will tell you the same thing - they love their systems. you can look at amazon, Jegs, or summit racing for great deals and they almost always come with free shipping. good luck and happy motoring!
Old 05-19-2014, 08:27 PM
Dan Phipps

I noticed, long time ago, that American Muscle does not have a sound clip of the Borla ATAK. That is a real bummer, because they have sound clips for tons of other exhausts. Anyone know of a website that has a sound clip?
Old 05-19-2014, 08:32 PM
Dan Phipps

Case in point, what I just found in my inbox. An email from American Muscle with exhausts from Flowmaster, Pypes, Magnaflow, and Corsa highlighted with "Hear it".
Old 05-20-2014, 07:51 PM
Siber Express
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dan Phipps
I noticed, long time ago, that American Muscle does not have a sound clip of the Borla ATAK. That is a real bummer, because they have sound clips for tons of other exhausts. Anyone know of a website that has a sound clip?
Watch this, it is on the Borla Site http://www.borla.com/products/mustan...rt__11792.html
Old 05-20-2014, 08:29 PM
xXidol

I would have to recommend getting an actual exhaust. I had a friend who had the Pype Bomb Axle Backs which is the closest thing to a muffler delete I have seen. They were way way way too loud. I have the Borla Stingers and have absolutely no complaints. My gas mileage has gone down a ton because I love giving them gas. Also, the no drone on the highway is great. The Roush axle backs were actually an exhaust I was looking at but decided against it because apparently they are really loud (though I have never heard them in person.) Good luck making your decision man!

Quick Reply: Muffler deletes or aftermarket axlebacks?