Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Help needed with speed limiter and IDS

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2016, 09:04 AM
threepwood

Default Help needed with speed limiter and IDS

Hi guys.
I'm working on this 2011 V6 and the owner asked me to remove the speed limiter that he never had (he said that the dealership activated it by mistake one day and they were unable to deactivate it).... whatever...

Btw i warned him about the problem with the V6 2011 and driveshaft and he said he doesn't care. Who am i to judge?
So please if you only want to preach about how illegal and dangerous it may be you're barking at the wrong tree.

So i browsed through the several options in IDS and i couldn't find anything related to the speed limiter.

There was a section for the AsBuild reprogram but since i needed the AsBuilt file and i had no internet connection i gave up.

What i need to know is the correct procedure to remove the limiter using IDS and the VCM2.

If anyone knows it and is willing to share it that would be GREAT.

Thank you so much in advance.
Old 06-05-2016, 08:53 PM
WindyMustang
2nd Gear Member

IIRC there is a MyKey feature that lets you set a speed limiter, but not one otherwise. If you can clear the MyKey settings, try that and see what happens. If you can't clear the MyKey settings, the dealerships may be your only option.
Old 06-06-2016, 05:21 AM
threepwood

I haven't played with the MyKey settings because the customer misplaced his keys (they got stolen) so i programmed him new keys. I have to try that.
Also he has the regular key (the combo key + remote) that you normally stick in the ignition. Does the MyKey apply to that kind of key too?

Anyway he doesn't want to go to the dealership because he said they're the reason why the limiter was activated and they didn't know how to deactivate it.

Then with IDS i can do the same thing the dealership can, i just need to know the procedure.

I found on youtube the procedure for a Transit but once connected to the mustang there's no Speed menu whatsoever.

I played with some Fiestas and the speed limiter in those cars is memorized in the CCC index (BCM + PCM), that's why i mentioned the AsBuilt part.

Ok i'll try the MyKey option and keep you posted.

Thank you for the tip
Old 06-07-2016, 03:54 AM
EJ Lewis

This is the youtube guide on removing speed limiter for Transit with VCMII IDS OBD, procedure goes the same/similarly.
Old 06-08-2016, 11:38 AM
threepwood

Ok a little update.
The MyKey was not present and just to play on the safe side i created one and then erased it.
I downloaded a brand new AsBuilt for that vin number and flashed it to the PCM.
Also IDS found an update for the PCM and i flashed it.
Nothing changed. The car still has the same problem.
I need advanced tech advice here... please.
Old 06-08-2016, 12:37 PM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

if the IDS doesnt list an option to remove the speed limiter, then you cant do it with an IDS. you will have to get an aftermarket tuner, BTW the story the customer is giving you is BS. you cant activate or remove speed limiter with the dealer scan tool/IDS
Old 06-08-2016, 01:19 PM
threepwood

Well i never understood why his car had the limiter removed if they normally come out of the factory limited.... that i didn't ask him.
Btw technically speaking if he had his computer tuned and the dealer flashed an official update that would lead to the limiter being back on the car.
Btw could you please advise me the cheapest tuner for this car? I found he Trinity but it's not just above his budget, it's totally another galaxy

Thank you for the answer.
Old 06-08-2016, 01:21 PM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

yes a dealer reflash would write over the aftermarket tune, and also result in a locked tuner that would have to be sent in to be unlocked. not sure about "cheap" tuner prices......i find its best to not skimp on the important things.

SCT seems to be the most trusted. i had diablosport for a few years, and then when i went with a supercharger i switched to SCT

Last edited by jwog666; 06-08-2016 at 01:24 PM.
Old 06-08-2016, 01:24 PM
threepwood

You're right but in this case i'm not the owner.

At least can you give me some names?
Old 06-08-2016, 01:25 PM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

i edited my revious post^^^^^^^

Quick Reply: Help needed with speed limiter and IDS