Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

3rd brake light

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2017, 02:10 PM
ucinn
3rd Gear Member

Default 3rd brake light

All my lights are working except the 3rd brake light Checked for power at the plug and am not getting any. Cant find any fuse listed for the 3rd brake light. Can't find a wiring schematic anywhere. any help with this would be appreciated.
Old 02-11-2017, 04:33 PM
Siber Express
3rd Gear Member

Wiring Diagrams for a 2011
http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=710&viewfil...rd%20Lamps.pdf
The whole thing
http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=710
Old 02-11-2017, 08:11 PM
ucinn
3rd Gear Member

Thank you so much siber, looks like it comes straight from the body control module to the lamps Would you happen to know where the body control module is? It doesn't show any fuse which I find very odd unless it's inside the control module itself.
Old 02-12-2017, 11:57 AM
ucinn
3rd Gear Member

OK, getting power from the brake light switch to Body Control Module...$200 for a new one. Here's my idea...Jump the control box all togther and go straight from the brake switch to the 3rd brake light...does anybody foresee any problems doing this? I took the box apart and all that's in there are some resistors and IC's..no fuses.
Old 02-12-2017, 02:59 PM
Siber Express
3rd Gear Member

Did you check both fuses going to the BCM?
Other than that you could bypass it and put an inline fuse in there for a guarantee.
Old 02-12-2017, 03:19 PM
ucinn
3rd Gear Member

Yes, if either one of those fuses go, there would be no brake lights at all on any of them. I did just bypass the BCM by jumping pin 19 (from brake switch) to pin 18(output to 3rd brake light) and everything is working perfectly right now. I'll chime back in if I come across any problems with this set up. Thanks for all the help.. i just love this forum.
Old 06-26-2017, 06:12 PM
ucinn
3rd Gear Member

Well, after a month or so f working, it started blowing the brake light fuse, so took off the jumper and back to no 3rd brake light. Checked the 3rd brake light and the plug where it connects to the LED board was loose, so replaed 3rd brake light and BCM, worked for a few weeks and now I'm back to square one again with no 3rd light and a blown BCM. Took apart and checked for bad wires and didn't find any. Does anybody know where this ground is on the car for me to check? The schematic says G402 151-22..any help would be appreciated.

http://iihs.net/fsm/?d=711&f=010%20-%20Grounds.pdf&p=9