Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Who can do a burnout with all stock and just a tune?

Old 02-25-2015, 07:37 AM
Bob T
1st Gear Member

Default Who can do a burnout with all stock and just a tune?

My car is all stock and I've recently switched to 3.55 gears and an MPT tune.
Part throttle response is great, at full throttle it pulls hard, and shifts hard under full throttle.
Overall very happy, but....
I can't do a burnout, even if I turn off TC and hold down the button long enough to turn off advancetrac.
What I mean by burnout is not by power braking but when you are at a stop, foot on the brake and engine at idle, let go of the brake and go WOT at the same time.
I have to admit I'm a little disappointed in the no burnout after hearing of others doing it.

So my question is can those with stock or near stock and just a tune, do a burnout without power-braking?
Just wondering if I am expecting too much from a near-stock 3.7.
Old 02-25-2015, 11:40 PM
Mike1Six

I don't know how he does it but this guy can light his stuff up...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aMnEdm5naWw
Old 02-26-2015, 07:00 AM
audioAl
4th Gear Member

Grip is king, do you have 275 or wider tires? Torque management is on the 13-15 models and is probably your situation.
Old 02-26-2015, 07:46 AM
Bob T
1st Gear Member

In that youtube video it looks like the burnout he did was with some help from power-braking.

I do have tires with good grip, they are 255/45-18 Sumitomo High Performance HTR Z II Tire on 18x9 wheels.
I just found out about the torque management after I ordered the tuner/tunes, as soon as I read up on torque management I shot a quick email to MPT and let them know to disable the TM if possible. Their reply was that they totally disable it when you choose the race trans option and partially disable it in the street trans option.
I think the no burnout situation is a combination of even though this engine is stronger with the tune you can't expect miracles in bottom end torque gains, plus a tight stock converter, and the tires hook real good.
Another observation on the tires hooking is when I load the tune that has the race trans option, it shifts hard and for many people with this tune option will chirp the tires when it shifts under full throttle. On mine under full throttle when it shifts it doesn't chirp the tires, the tires dead hook and the car leaps forward when it shifts which is really ideal although maybe not sound as cool as chirping the tires.
Old 02-27-2015, 11:56 PM
cruisin5268d
4th Gear Member

There's nothing wrong with the sixers but if you wanted to blow through tires then you should have bought a GT.

More cylinders+more power=less rubber
Old 02-28-2015, 07:25 AM
Bob T
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the responses everyone.
I'm not trying to give the impression that I'm not happy with the performance, this is probably the best all around car I've ever had.

The reason I asked the "can anybody do a burnout" question was I read several times about people getting a tune and all of a sudden had the power to do a burnout. If that was true I would have been a little disappointed and I have to admit I was thinking "hey how come they can do a burnout and I can't do a burnout! ...but as far as I can tell the ones doing a burnout are doing it with the help of power-braking, at least those that are pretty much stock other than a tune.

I really wouldn't expect a small 3.7L engine with a tight stock converter to have the down low torque to spin the tires, especially knowing how much power it makes in the upper rpm range and the torque peak is well above the stall speed of the converter.
If I wasn't worried about voiding my warranty, my next modification would be a Circle D converter.
Old 03-05-2015, 04:02 PM
Choppertwo
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Bob T
My car is all stock and I've recently switched to 3.55 gears and an MPT tune.
Part throttle response is great, at full throttle it pulls hard, and shifts hard under full throttle.
Overall very happy, but....
I can't do a burnout, even if I turn off TC and hold down the button long enough to turn off advancetrac.
What I mean by burnout is not by power braking but when you are at a stop, foot on the brake and engine at idle, let go of the brake and go WOT at the same time.
I have to admit I'm a little disappointed in the no burnout after hearing of others doing it.

So my question is can those with stock or near stock and just a tune, do a burnout without power-braking?
Just wondering if I am expecting too much from a near-stock 3.7.
Bob, Iv'e never tryed a burnout, so I'm of no help,maybe this summer, IDK, I have no need to. Not trying to be smartass or anything but most of my runs I do are from 20mph- 100, only because I live on a straight blacktop, and not alot of traffic alot of snow today-
Old 03-25-2015, 04:28 PM
Choppertwo
3rd Gear Member

Thanks for the responses everyone.
I'm not trying to give the impression that I'm not happy with the performance, this is probably the best all around car I've ever had.

The reason I asked the "can anybody do a burnout" question was I read several times about people getting a tune and all of a sudden had the power to do a burnout. If that was true I would have been a little disappointed and I have to admit I was thinking "hey how come they can do a burnout and I can't do a burnout! ...but as far as I can tell the ones doing a burnout are doing it with the help of power-braking, at least those that are pretty much stock other than a tune.

I really wouldn't expect a small 3.7L engine with a tight stock converter to have the down low torque to spin the tires, especially knowing how much power it makes in the upper rpm range and the torque peak is well above the stall speed of the converter.
If I wasn't worried about voiding my warranty, my next modification would be a Circle D converter.
Well, why would you worry about a Burnout anyway, If you're flying off the line with little burnout, thats what its all about isn't it, I mean tire grip and BOOM your gone
Old 03-25-2015, 08:13 PM
Bob T
1st Gear Member

You are right Choppertwo, as they say "spinning ain't winning".
Sometime in the next month or so, me and a couple of work buddies are planning a trip to the dragstrip. Then I'll have some actual numbers to compare against the other times I've heard quoted from similar setups, and have a better idea if I'm where I think I should be with the mods I have.
Old 03-26-2015, 06:14 AM
Choppertwo
3rd Gear Member

You are right Choppertwo, as they say "spinning ain't winning".
Sometime in the next month or so, me and a couple of work buddies are planning a trip to the dragstrip. Then I'll have some actual numbers to compare against the other times I've heard quoted from similar setups, and have a better idea if I'm where I think I should be with the mods I have.
keep us posted on your numbers

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Who can do a burnout with all stock and just a tune?