Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

A/C problem

Old 09-05-2017, 07:39 PM
Avalongod

Default A/C problem

Good evening:

Hope I'm posting this in the right spot, apologies in advance if I am not. I have a 2010 v6 convertible, 104k miles. Been a great car, few problems.

Right now it's just started having an issue with the A/C. Twice now it suddenly started blowing warm air for a period of about 5-10 minutes before going back to cold air. During the same period I'll feel one or two small hiccup like jerks in the engine, sort of like a mild cylinder misfire. That latter symptom has been quite minor, but I've noticed it both started and tends to cooccur with the A/C issue.

I figure I'll need to bring it in, but curious what it might be that would do that. Doesn't seem like the AC compressors gone, but maybe a relay?

Any thoughts are welcome.
Old 09-05-2017, 10:25 PM
imp
3rd Gear Member

Anything in the chain which would affect turn-on of the compressor clutch comes to mind. That chain includes the computer, a pressure cycling switch, wiring, or the clutch itself. imp
Old 09-06-2017, 02:08 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by imp
Anything in the chain which would affect turn-on of the compressor clutch comes to mind. That chain includes the computer, a pressure cycling switch, wiring, or the clutch itself. imp
Yup, hiccup is probably the compressor cycling on/off.

OP, you could be low on refrigerant. At the very least get a can with one of those cheap gauges on it...do NOT add any freon if the guage shows the pressure in the good range. An overcharged system is worse than undercharged system.

If it shows good, you'll need a manifold gauge set to get a better overview of what's going on. If it's not low freon, it could be clogged orifice tube or sticking expansion valve (depending on which your car has), could be a failing compressor, bad low pressure switch, clutch as imp stated, etc, etc. Guage set will get you pointed in the right direction.
Old 09-14-2017, 04:08 PM
Avalongod

Hey folks:

First, thanx for replying with some ideas. I apologize for the slow response, but was dodging Hurricane Irma (I'm in Orlando). In between that I had the car looked at so here's some (frustrating) updates:

First place I took it replaced the battery and added freon. No dice, same problem. They said the AC clutch looked a bit worn but not enough they wanted to replace.

Took it to a second place. They said the computer tossed off about 40 error codes when they had it hooked up. They don't do computers so they recommended the dealer.

Keep in mind I don't get an engine light or other error codes on the dash. Mostly the car works fine,...just every now and again it does the symptoms I described. If it happens when I'm at idle speed, the car WILL stall.

Took it to the dealer and, typical for an intermittent problem, they couldn't find anything wrong with it. No error codes in the computer.

So...grrr....what do I do, keep running it until it breaks in a more comprehensive way?

Thanx
Old 09-15-2017, 01:50 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Hope everyone is ok after Irma!

Unfortunately in this case, if you want to start working on your car you'll need to invest in some tools. Luckily the tools in this case are pretty universal so you can use it on other cars as well.

for the A/C m-a-n-i-f-o-l-d g-a-u-g-e-s..... You'll need to see exactly what the system is doing You can pick up a set online for $50-70

for the "40 error codes" (doubtful) get a scan-tool that can do ABS code reading as well (and Transmission code reading if you are automatic - Manual doesn't really have anything). The units for $150ish and up will live data and data logging so you can see what the car is doing. It will also let you know what codes if any are pending.

Search this Thread