Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Vibration under Engine Brake

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2018, 04:52 PM
krutonu

Default Vibration under Engine Brake

Hi guys,

I have a 2013 Mustang V6 with about 125k km on it. As of around 100k it started vibrating at high speeds on the highway when I would allow the car to slow down gradually using only the engine brake. Recently it started doing the same even at lower speeds. I was informed by Ford that it might be the engine mounts, and ended up replacing them, but the vibration is still there. If i take the car out of gear the vibration stops, and if i accelerate slightly while it is vibrating it stops. It does not happen all the time, but I would say 3 out of 4 times it will.

Has anyone else experienced this? Could it be the fault of the driveshaft being loose, or would it have something to do with the manual transmission?

Please let me know.
Old 02-19-2018, 06:09 AM
David Young
2nd Gear Member

I have an automatic but, 'from what I have read', it 'might' have something to do with the dual mass pressure plate. Or its called something like that........I bet the Ford dealer made a pretty penny off of you
Old 06-06-2019, 02:34 PM
masont72

Bump having same issue was thinking u joints but I checked them out and they look good, still not ruling that out
Old 06-06-2019, 04:37 PM
bl817
3rd Gear Member

trans mount?
Old 11-09-2019, 08:47 AM
JGermaine

Originally Posted by krutonu
Hi guys,

I have a 2013 Mustang V6 with about 125k km on it. As of around 100k it started vibrating at high speeds on the highway when I would allow the car to slow down gradually using only the engine brake. Recently it started doing the same even at lower speeds. I was informed by Ford that it might be the engine mounts, and ended up replacing them, but the vibration is still there. If i take the car out of gear the vibration stops, and if i accelerate slightly while it is vibrating it stops. It does not happen all the time, but I would say 3 out of 4 times it will.

Has anyone else experienced this? Could it be the fault of the driveshaft being loose, or would it have something to do with the manual transmission?

Please let me know.
yes I have this problem. The vibration happens when decelerating in gear from 3000 rpm to 1800 rpm. I have a manual. I took it to the Ford dealer, and the service manager acknowleged that it was a problem. Then Ford said that it was to DESIGN INTENT. This is ridiculous. I could not sell this car to anyone. I am not happy at all. I did already replace the 2 piece driveshaft with a single piece driveshaft and it did not help. It is clearly an engine / trans problem since when I rev the engine when it is out of gear, you can clearly hear and feel the vibration. Any idea?
Old 11-10-2019, 01:19 PM
Siber Express
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JGermaine
yes I have this problem. The vibration happens when decelerating in gear from 3000 rpm to 1800 rpm. I have a manual. I took it to the Ford dealer, and the service manager acknowleged that it was a problem. Then Ford said that it was to DESIGN INTENT. This is ridiculous. I could not sell this car to anyone. I am not happy at all. I did already replace the 2 piece driveshaft with a single piece driveshaft and it did not help. It is clearly an engine / trans problem since when I rev the engine when it is out of gear, you can clearly hear and feel the vibration. Any idea?
Get rid of the Dual Mass Flywheel at the time the clutch gets replaced and that Vibration goes away also.
Old 11-11-2019, 01:27 PM
JGermaine

Thanks for the tip. Did you have this done to your own vehicle?
Old 11-12-2019, 04:51 PM
Siber Express
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JGermaine
Thanks for the tip. Did you have this done to your own vehicle?
Not yet, but when it is time for the clutch it will happen.
Old 12-01-2019, 11:35 AM
Jason Held

Get an aluminum flywheel and good clutch kit and that should stop.
Old 01-09-2020, 03:35 PM
Mark Hone
1st Gear Member

I have an auto with the same problem. been back to the dealer, he put it on a "treadmill" with sensors and microphones in the cabin and found nothing. took it for a test drive but found nothing. I told him it starts at 100kph and up but he said the traffic was to much to get up to that speed and the "treadmill" showed nothing. Bye-Bye

Quick Reply: Vibration under Engine Brake