Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Getting 3.73 gears!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2018, 09:37 AM
Urambo Tauro
3rd Gear Member

This would be a great opportunity to give it fresh bearings and seals all around, unless it has super-low mileage.
Old 07-15-2018, 09:40 AM
Floorguy
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Urambo Tauro
This would be a great opportunity to give it fresh bearings and seals all around, unless it has super-low mileage.
40,000..... how痴 that?
Old 07-15-2018, 09:43 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Most people can feel at least a little difference going from just 3.55's to 3.73's.

Going from 2.73's to 3.73's gives about the same difference in "oomph" as you get by dropping from 5th gear to 4th (in a 6-speed MT) or from 4th to 3rd in a 5MT. Absolutely no way you won't notice.

Having been where you are now, I 'get' still wanting to have a little sparkle in your car's performance. No matter how much past "young" those forest-fires on your birthday cakes may make it seem.

Norm
Old 07-15-2018, 10:06 AM
Floorguy
1st Gear Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
Most people can feel at least a little difference going from just 3.55's to 3.73's.

Going from 2.73's to 3.73's gives about the same difference in "oomph" as you get by dropping from 5th gear to 4th (in a 6-speed MT) or from 4th to 3rd in a 5MT. Absolutely no way you won't notice.

Having been where you are now, I 'get' still wanting to have a little sparkle in your car's performance. No matter how much past "young" those forest-fires on your birthday cakes may make it seem.

Norm
Amen Norm!! Thanks!!
Old 07-17-2018, 04:41 AM
David Young
2nd Gear Member

I hope you have 'someone good', going to install your gears. Lots of bad installers out there . I paid out my butt and had my local Ford dealer install my gears. Like Urambo Tauro said, my dealer replaced the seals on mine and I only had 18,000 miles. They told me seals can get damaged during the gear change, so they put new ones in
Old 07-17-2018, 07:20 AM
Floorguy
1st Gear Member

I do believe the Ford performance gear kit from AM comes with pinion bearings and seals.. is that what your talking about? Please let me know if I’m missing something. After this, I’m not sure what else I should do.. hopefully, I’ll be happy with what I have.... tuner, gears, CAI, BBK thottle body, and axle backs. But maybe short tube headers?? I’ve heard the originals on 3.7’s are pretty good... thank you Mr. Young!!
Old 07-17-2018, 09:33 AM
Urambo Tauro
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Floorguy
40,000..... how’s that?
At 40k, there's probably no need to replace any bearings quite yet. But if it were me, I'd change some stuff anyway, just to reset that clock back to zero. I wouldn't even bother trying to transfer the bearings from the old pinion to the new one, since pinion and axle bearings tend to wear out faster than the carrier bearings.

Last edited by Urambo Tauro; 07-17-2018 at 09:36 AM.
Old 07-18-2018, 06:42 AM
David Young
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Floorguy
I do believe the Ford performance gear kit from AM comes with pinion bearings and seals.. is that what your talking about? Please let me know if I’m missing something. After this, I’m not sure what else I should do.. hopefully, I’ll be happy with what I have.... tuner, gears, CAI, BBK thottle body, and axle backs. But maybe short tube headers?? I’ve heard the originals on 3.7’s are pretty good... thank you Mr. Young!!
It wasn't added to the install price but they (Ford dealer) told me they replaced the axle seals because they can get damaged when the axles are pulled out to get to the pumpkin.

Last edited by David Young; 07-20-2018 at 04:04 AM.
Old 08-07-2018, 05:30 PM
Floorguy
1st Gear Member

Got the gears and install kit from AM, and had the installed the other day with the 87 octane performance tune. Can definitely feel the difference from the 2.73’s!! Although I still need a little more punch. Next week I’ll put in the 93 race tune and see how that feels. All in all, I guess I’m pretty happy. Just wondering if short tube headers are worth my next venture? I hear long tubes may sit too low being I put in Eibach springs last year. We’ll see. BTW, thanks to all for the advice!!
Old 08-09-2018, 06:07 AM
David Young
2nd Gear Member

My BBK long tubes are no lower than the factory exhaust and I'm lowered 1 inch in the front and a inch and a quarter on the rear . Short tube headers will be cheaper and safer to pass a smog test if you have one. I don't have any smog test to worry about

Quick Reply: Getting 3.73 gears!!