Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

BBK catted X pipe

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2019, 10:24 AM
Floorguy
1st Gear Member

Default BBK catted X pipe

Hey all, does anyone have these installed on their 3.7? Contemplating putting them on. Do the high flow cats really give a boost, or should I just go with Ford Performance cut and clamp X pipe. I’ve All ready done BBK short tubes, CAI, BBK throttle body, 3.73’s, and upgraded from Bama tune to MPT ( big difference) so just want to put the finishing touch on! Any information would help!! Thanks in advance, your advice always helps!!
Old 03-24-2019, 05:25 AM
David Young
2nd Gear Member

The reviews on American Muscle seem to be good. Someone said you 'might' get a check engine light using these. I run the BBK 'shorty' catted x-pipe because I have long tube headers. I've never got a check engine light but my tunes are the older ones and maybe they have my rear 02 sensors turned off. I'm not sure. I know now, Tuners can't turn off the rear 02 because of changes to Federal Laws
Old 03-24-2019, 05:34 AM
David Young
2nd Gear Member

Here is a picture of the 'factory' vs the BBK catted shorty x pipe.

Old 03-24-2019, 09:15 AM
Floorguy
1st Gear Member

Thumbs up

Ok, so you have the shorty X pipe. I assume they are the same cats,so do they feel like they open up the exhaust more? I just want to complete the system, having done the short tubes and cat backs. What about sound, did it do anything?As far as chech engine light, that would drive me crazy!!! I’ll give MPT a call and see what they say. And yes, I took your advice Dave and got the MPT race tune,and couldn’t be happier!!!
Old 03-25-2019, 06:11 AM
David Young
2nd Gear Member

My exhaust got 1/4th to almost 1/3rd louder when I installed my long tubes with the catted shorty x-pipe. That's the problem, most people do the headers and the x-pipe at the same time. The extra power people feel are from doing both at the same time. Try to sort out the reviews of people who added the x-pipe 'after' they already had their headers. Good luck, and the mods never end
Old 03-26-2019, 08:50 AM
Floorguy
1st Gear Member

Thanks Dave! I’m sure the x pipe will bring it all together, I’ve read plenty of good reviews! I just don’t want that check engine light to come on, that would drive me crazy!! Not all reviews say it comes on, but I’m sure why,and no way to ask these people who leave reviews. I also spoke to MPT about the issue,and they said they cannot override the light, it’s against the law. Maybe I should just go with Ford Performance cut and clamp, but I thought the high flow cats would be better. Anyway, if there is anymore information out there, I’d love to hear it!! Thanks!!!
Old 03-26-2019, 03:11 PM
Floorguy
1st Gear Member

Just spoke to BBK, unfortunately it’s basically a hit or miss situation with the check engine light. As much as I would love to install them, if that light stays on, I won’t know of any other engine problems that may come up! Soooo, I’ll wait and maybe just do a FP cut and clamp!
Old 03-27-2019, 06:13 AM
David Young
2nd Gear Member

I have a friend who lives near me did the FP cut and clamp on his 13 v6 and likes it a lot. I 'think' he said his exhaust got just a little louder and smoother. Something like that
Old 03-27-2019, 07:39 AM
Floorguy
1st Gear Member

I think I’ll give them a try! Thanks Dave!! I’ll post when I do them and let you know how I like um!!!
Old 04-30-2019, 03:10 PM
Floorguy
1st Gear Member

Still deciding on the BBK catted x pipe! Just read about the spark plug non fouler trick for the 02 sensors! Has anyone tried this on their 2012 3.7? Just wanted to know, if it Fools the computer, will it do any engine damage? Any thoughts would be appreciated!!!

Quick Reply: BBK catted X pipe