MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   351 Mustang (https://mustangforums.com/forum/351-mustang-55/)
-   -   2 for 2 now! Msd distributor gear? (https://mustangforums.com/forum/351-mustang/271148-2-for-2-now-msd-distributor-gear.html)

Smokinrubber 04-08-2007 11:10 AM

2 for 2 now! Msd distributor gear?

i have just changed the second gear on my EFI 393 and it is just as eat up as the first one .Anyone have a idea what gear to use ona Comp Cams XE284 .seems both msd iron gears have been a failure.Anyone feel free to post?

r.barn 04-08-2007 04:14 PM

RE: 2 for 2 now! Msd distributor gear?

roller cams take steel gears

Arrid Extra Dry 04-09-2007 10:15 PM

+1 barn is right. change the gear before you get a bunch of metal in your engine.
different camshafts, take different distributor gears.
also if your running a high volume, or high pressure oil pump, after you break it in a little, take the distributor back out just to make sure it isnt eating up your gears.. you will see a little wear but not much.
and try to look at your rod too, too make sure it isnt trying to twist up or break. aftermarket oil pumps put more pressure on the gears and rod, than most people think.
"HE SAID ROD" (BEAVIS AND BUTTHEAD)

92BOOSTED 04-10-2007 07:36 AM

You need this gear, so i found out myself.
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...=KeywordSearch
I have been using the bronze gear and it isnt working out so well.

Ryan

Smokinrubber 04-11-2007 09:30 PM

im not using a roller cam ..im using a comp cams 284 extreme energy cam /// i just ordered a polymer from comp cams . ill post back on how well it works

Smokinrubber 04-14-2007 11:23 PM

one day after i installed the comp cams racing polymer gear.It has eat that one off too.And it looks as if it is eating on one side one the gear.This is a new 393 efi running a comp cams extreme energy cams with the HO firing order and a msd pro billet distributor and a HV oil pump.If the polymer gear should last up to five times longer than a steel gear and my cam calls for a cast gear then what the hell is going on .>>> please post back with some suggestions

Arrid Extra Dry 04-15-2007 02:19 PM

is it a new distributer?if someone had it before you they might have changed the gear and not lined it up right?
if it is a new distributer, maybe the gear was lined up wrong when they put it together.
measure the height on the gear again.
maybe the gear on the camshaft isnt right?maybe bugered up or something, maybe they shipped you the wrong camshaft?
i dont think it could be your oil pump, because i think it would just twist the oil pump rod.(but i would put another pump in just to make sure)
i think the only way it could be eating up so many gears is, the gear on your distributer in some way or another is not lined up correctly. even with the wrong type metal gear, it shouldnt be eating them up that bad. unless its not installed correctly.
if you bought the distributer new, it had directions in the box to what height the gear should be installed.
good luck, hope ya figure it out.

Smokinrubber 04-15-2007 02:46 PM

yeah it a brand new msd pro billet distributor for roller cams and i changed the gear to a cast gear the first two times.And this last time i used a polymer gear from compcams cause thats where my cam come from ..I thought it was the msd dist. gears but it eat the poly gear from comp cams off.All installs where up to msd tolerances.Cam gear looks great.But the distributor has some side play in it as well as endplay .But i dont know if the first gears binding wore out the bearings in the distributor.This is a brand new engine all the way round .Afr heads,Efi setup ...And this is how quick it eat the first gear off.I had never drove it ,only broke in its compents and took it to have it dynoed .and it eat up the first one on the dyno and two more including a poly ...have not even got to drive car yet/

92BOOSTED 04-16-2007 07:39 AM

Have you called comp cams and discribed this situation to them?
So what your telling me is that you are not using a hydraulic roller cam which requires the steel gear, your using a cast cam and using the cast gears am i right?
How does your oil pressure look?

Smokinrubber 04-19-2007 06:02 PM

yes thats right ..my oil pressure runs around 70 psi..Comp cams is pointing the finger and msd saying that its there distributor gears.So i bought a polymer gear from comp cams which is susposed to be for roller or flat tappet cams.And the guy at comp cams said it was the one i needed.Well it eat that one off too.