351 Mustang

351 Swap?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 01:55 AM
lookin4astang
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: 351 Swap?

Can you get a good running 351 that cheap? If so go get that thing. I'd recommend getting a job though.... These things make you go broke real quick. I just blew $200 today on a new flywheel....
Old 04-26-2007, 05:45 AM
atomsk680
5th Gear Member

im tired of saying it
so heres something new

if all you got is $200 for a engine, you are in the wrong hobby, you need a job at least, or how about you just keep the 4banger for a while untill you get enough money for the swap. i spent $200 on roller rockers, 600 on brakes, and im bout to spend another 600 on a complete car wiring harness, i will still have 2500 in the bank at least
Old 04-26-2007, 11:31 AM
sleeper_inc
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: atomsk680

im tired of saying it
so heres something new

if all you got is $200 for a engine, you are in the wrong hobby, you need a job at least, or how about you just keep the 4banger for a while untill you get enough money for the swap. i spent $200 on roller rockers, 600 on brakes, and im bout to spend another 600 on a complete car wiring harness, i will still have 2500 in the bank at least
Its all good though, get the engine and save some money for the trans and rear

I have been trying to get a job but there all taken[:@] (small town, 1300 people FTW!) but I'll work with my dad a few times this summer $10 an hour, 12 hour days
Old 04-26-2007, 02:44 PM
lookin4astang
3rd Gear Member

If you are pullin one from a junkyard, there's no telling how long it's been sitting up or how well it runs. So although $200 sounds great right now, there is always that possibility that you will wind up having to rebuild it or do some repairs. It's doubtful that you can get a perfect running motor for $200. Not trying to bust your chops. Just making sure you understand what can happen. You always should be prepared.

Also I'm sure your town would have something you could do if you needed to. You definately need money for this hobby. And lots of it. I bought mine with the 351 already built and a new T5 tranny in it. But then I've spent another $350-400 on it since then on wiring and a flywheel. There's always something you will run into.
Old 04-26-2007, 05:45 PM
blacksheeps11
1st Gear Member

You can find motors cheap, I paid $200 for my 351 with an aluminum 69 mach 1 intake on top. I'm gonna sell the intake for $3-400 and come out on top. I do have to rebuild the motor, but I can do that myself. Just keep an eye out for deals, and it helps to make all the ford friends you can. The guy that had the motor put $3500 in machine work and parts and had it at 4-450hp. His car caught on fire, so I ended up with a deal. Stay motivated, deals are out there, also..a carb'd set up will save you some scratch.
Old 04-26-2007, 05:54 PM
atomsk680
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sleeper_inc

im tired of saying it
so heres something new

I have been trying to get a job but there all taken[:@] (small town, 1300 people FTW!) but I'll work with my dad a few times this summer $10 an hour, 12 hour days
the way you are saying this is that you think you can just drop a motor in your engine bay and have it run perfectly fine with you ***** transmission and axle. it wont work no matter how much you dont step and it and go easy. your transmission is 17 years old. probably without a rebuild, and its probably stressing under your 2.3. it wont work.

and if you still dont believe me, you will spend all your money on small things to get the engine in, and bam, something breaks or doesnt fit. you have no money to fix it and have a non running car.

smart guys stick to smart plans, get yourself one. here i will help.

get engine and slowly build it as you get the money, alsobuy the trans and rearend while you get more money over time,same with other misc things like fluids lines, et cetera's. all this time you can still have a driveable car.
Old 04-26-2007, 06:12 PM
blacksheeps11
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sleeper_inc

im tired of saying it
so heres something new

the way you are saying this is that you think you can just drop a motor in your engine bay and have it run perfectly fine with you ***** transmission and axle. it wont work no matter how much you dont step and it and go easy. your transmission is 17 years old. probably without a rebuild, and its probably stressing under your 2.3. it wont work.

and if you still dont believe me, you will spend all your money on small things to get the engine in, and bam, something breaks or doesnt fit. you have no money to fix it and have a non running car.

smart guys stick to smart plans, get yourself one. here i will help.

get engine and slowly build it as you get the money, alsobuy the trans and rearend while you get more money over time,same with other misc things like fluids lines, et cetera's. all this time you can still have a driveable car.
Listen to this guy, he is completly correct. I'm building my bargain motor, while I finish up the parts listjust like he said.It may sound harsh, but so will tackling this with no plan. You will have to build everything up to support the added weight and power.
Old 04-26-2007, 08:12 PM
sleeper_inc
6th Gear Member

I didn't plan on "Just droping the motor in" I plan to get it and look it over, save money and get a trans ($110 auto $60 manual) from the bone yard. I can get rear end for $60, but I need to find the track lock ones

I am going to apply for a job later this week (have to wait for them to fire someone)
Old 04-26-2007, 09:32 PM
Arrid Extra Dry
2nd Gear Member

yeah i would just save up some money after you get a job..(after you get out of college) lol
what im saying is... im an old fart, and... its ok too be a kid, and throw junk yard stuff together and see how it runs.
i know i did. live and learn.

you can read all the books in the world and still be stupid on cars.
you have to put your hands on them, to know whats going on.
so do what youwant to, and have fun too.
Old 04-27-2007, 12:11 AM
94venom

$200 is sure cheap for sure... Heck I just spent $4100 on a 1984 mustang gt all stock that I have on ebay now for sale for what I paid for it., $5500 on a 1988 lx and I am fixing to spend $3600 on a 393 stroker for my 94 cobra. []

Quick Reply: 351 Swap?