351 Mustang

2.3L to 351W Swap questions.

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 02:00 AM
korywiesner

Default 2.3L to 351W Swap questions.

First of all, I am new to these forums and I have found some good info here. I still have a few questions I hope I can get some help with. I recently purchased an 88' 2.3L Auto for the specific purpose of a 351 swap. The car is an awesome structural shape. The interior lacks in several areaas. Evertthing is there but the car was neglected. The paint is shot but I like that, I will be painting the car anyway. I am also on trail to acquire a windsor and C4 from a 75 Gran Torino. Obviously I will be refreshing the windsor, adding a cam Edelbrock Heads, Intake and 4bbl carb. The C4 is already in good shape. I am taking the easy route and going carb. I am hoping to put out about 400 - 450 Hp on a pony that will be a semi daily driver(With A/C...eventually). I have owned several foxes in the past, but never attempted the swap. I do have a few questions:

What I do know
I am sure that I have to have the double sump oil pan.
I know that I will be upgrading the cooling system(Larger radiator and electric fan with a adj thermostat control)
I know the K-members are the same and acceptable.
I know the brakes need to be upgraded.(What is a good donor for an all disk system...lincoln?)
I know that I will be finding an 8.8 rearend.
I know that I will be facing hood clearance issues.(Probably will go with cowl hood)

What I don't know
Front suspension geometry. Can I buy slowering springs for a 5.0 car and be allright?
Shift linkage. I know that the C4 was used in the 79 - 81 mustangs. Can I simply but the right shifter and cables? Will the ones on the car work.
Driveshaft. Will I need a custome made driveshaft?
Headers? Any clearance issues?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks guys. I will be taking picts and notes for a how-to when I get it finished.

Old 05-29-2007, 02:33 AM
90mustang5.8
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: 2.3L to 351W Swap questions.

heres some info https://mustangforums.com/m_1121694/tm.htm. for suspension your front is gunna be pretty low already with the 351 sitting in there. and as for headers yes there will be some clearence problems, but im in the works of figuring it out myself with my swap
Old 05-29-2007, 04:06 PM
korywiesner

Default RE: 2.3L to 351W Swap questions.

I read the link there before I posted and there is some good info. I guess my biggest questions have to do with driveshaft and transmission mount. Most everything else I can fabricate. My biggest hesitation is that for years I have been modding EFI cars. I really was never a decent student of the carburetors and distributed ignition. I am hoping to get some good info from you guys. Whne you get the header issue resolved, I would appreciate a post.

Thanks.