351 Mustang

ocal/OC Smog/Emissions question for engine swapped mustangs!

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 03:06 AM
kura
2nd Gear Member

Default ocal/OC Smog/Emissions question for engine swapped mustangs!

Hello all,
I'm looking to start a new project mustang after the loss of my beloved 04 GT and had a few questions regarding california emissions. Now what I DO know is that engine swapped cars don't go very well here in CA, especially in the import world, so I was hoping to get a few opinions from people in CA who have sn95 and up mustangs with swapped engines. ..or even from people who don't, but do know what they're talking about.

So here's the vision. I was thinking about possibly swapping a 351w into a 1994 or 95 sn95 as a track/drag car, but I still want to be able to drive it around town.

So heres my concerns..
If I have cats and can pass the sniffer, will I have any problems with the visual?
Or am I being completely unrealistic and won't be able to pull off a totally street legal car?
It's still in the works that I may or may not be running forced induction as this is all just a basic idea and isn't anywhere near coming to reality, so that will be a factor as well.

I just want to know if I'm heading in the totally wrong direction and should be building a 4.6.
I plan on a powerful car with lots of potential, but I don't want to have an undriveable car, if you get what I'm saying.

And please save the "go buy a terminator," as I've heard plenty of that. I could buy one, but I personally don't see any fun in that. And besides, the insurance is rediculous.
You're welcome to tell me I'm a complete idiot and won't be able to pull any of it off, as long as you have a good reason.

Thanks!

And I am open to alternative suggestions. I just need a project car to keep my mind busy!
Old 07-26-2007, 10:27 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Default RE: ocal/OC Smog/Emissions question for engine swapped mustangs!

one suggestion : MOVE!!! If you like cars and like to play with them california is no place to be!! on the other hand here in West Virgina the world is great!! where 93 octane is as abundant as the dead grass in my yard and were we have no sniffer law!!! I love cats!!! so I can melt them down for the precious metals they contain!!!
Old 08-02-2007, 05:39 PM
smoken37s

Default RE: ocal/OC Smog/Emissions question for engine swapped mustangs!

when your reg. comes up and u need to get a smog check go to the dmv and tell them that the car is in another state and is being used for business for the time being. they will give u a paper to fill out and then give you your tags for the year. thats it....i have an f150 that is origanally efi but is now carb. and will not pass smog. i tell them that its a business truck in texas or something works everytime!!!! i have prerunner friends that do this all the time in differand areas. just DONT go to the dmv in the same car!!!