351 Mustang

351W roller??? whats the big deal?? why go roller or change the strongest 69 block into a roller???

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 12:59 PM
rallycar01
1st Gear Member

Default 351W roller??? whats the big deal?? why go roller or change the strongest 69 block into a roller???

just wondering why everyone says go roller when going to a 408? im building one right now (69 block) and not going roller b/c everyone that i have talked to said the roller wont be able to handle the 725 rhp (no power adders!). Even my michinest even said so? SO for the people with roller blocks why did you do it?and for the people who didnt go roller why didnt you? im sure everyone has there reasons but wanted to get a count and their reasons behind it. thanks
Old 10-05-2007, 01:04 PM
r.barn
6th Gear Member

Default RE: 351W roller??? whats the big deal?? why go roller or change the strongest 69 block into a roller

most 351 blocks are flat tappet
hydrualic roller cam is better than flat tappet cam, thats why everyone goes roller
for the power you want you need a solid cam.

you need to do some research on different types of cams to understand your question
flat tappet vs. hydraulic roller vs. solid roller.

750 rwhp N/A on a 408 is going to require a VERY aggressive cam profile and HIGH rpms
solids are better for this.
Old 10-05-2007, 01:52 PM
w8less
6th Gear Member

Default RE: 351W roller??? whats the big deal?? why go roller or change the strongest 69 block into a roller

whats ur set up? you definitely chose the right block. i hope you meet your goals
Old 10-05-2007, 04:09 PM
rallycar01
1st Gear Member

Default RE: 351W roller??? whats the big deal?? why go roller or change the strongest 69 block into a roller???

well ive looked for a block for about 3 months and found one with a trani for 150$ and went and loked at it and the guy turned around and said he wanted to keep the trani. no big deal right. i called him a week later an he said he couldnt get the motor turned to get the bolts out to get the trani off so it pissed me off for a little while till i said screw it and start lookin for another, well i found one. i didnt plan to stoke the other one and this was my set up for the 351.
MSD, ARP main Stud kit, rods and arms, piston jtesrp steel scat crank, speed pro ring set comp cam moreso pan alum heads with stainless valves 202/160 comp springs b-grant 750 duel inlet carb vic jr intake bore .30 , deck work, honed, and thats about all i got, b/c i can't read my dad's writing from when we were at mikes shop. (friend of family michinest) however i think that alot of that will be junk now b/c the 69 block i have now has the notches in it so it had the clearence to be stroked, therefor may as well right! So mike's got the block right now and just checking out everything b/c it already was bored .30 inlined bored honed bla bla bla all that great stuff.......sooooo when i get the block back thats when he will give me the new part list but he said with what he will give me with put me around 725 rhp that will last a long time. When i get it back ill let you guys know the parts list he wants me to get and this time ill write it down so i can read it! Ill post pics of my computer when i get my camrea back tomarow so you can see it, thanks!
Old 10-05-2007, 04:28 PM
r.barn
6th Gear Member

I think he maybe blowing smoke up your a$$

a 750 rwhp 408W will need HIGH compression and HIGH rpms
idle at like 3,000 rpm and spin to 8,000+rpm

Those engines usually dont "last a long time"

Would really like to see the parts list he tells you to get.
Are you planning on this being in a street car?
Old 10-05-2007, 09:39 PM
MadMan@TheWheel
4th Gear Member

I agree with R.Barn. Number one I have built 750+rwhp Windsors and I can tell you from experience few engines with that type of power will see a lot of mileage, it's simply not what they are designed to do. You need high r's and lots of either compression, spray or supercharger/turbo to sustain it. You need a strong valvetrain and the r's you will have to hit almost require roller cams. Flat tappet have the possibility of eating themselves pretty quick at aggressive lifts and rpm's. Not to mention that the entire engine needs to be well thought out to produce that kind of power without dusting your bottom end. You had better make sure your machinist knows what he is doing as well as everyone who touches that car. 750+ is no joke and not cheap.
Old 10-06-2007, 09:30 AM
rallycar01
1st Gear Member

Default RE: 351W roller??? whats the big deal?? why go roller or change the strongest 69 block into a roller???

wooooppppsss.......lol i talked to him this morning and he said 625 lol. i guess that seems more do-able lol. and the price of everything is not cheep. however cheeper when he gives parts for cost and very very cheep michine work. very clost family friend for about 12 years and he has his own michine shop. so it makes this a little more easier. if it wasnt for him i wouldnt be doin this. im a poor 23 year old college student so there would be no way if it wasnt for him.
Old 10-06-2007, 09:35 AM
rallycar01
1st Gear Member

ohh and as far as street car, its going to be on a trailer to the track and every other weekend go to the little hang out around the corner from my house about a half mile up the street so it wont be driving out there alot.
Old 10-06-2007, 09:41 AM
w8less
6th Gear Member

what heads do you plan on using?
Old 10-06-2007, 10:18 AM
rallycar01
1st Gear Member

don't know right now since ive decided to stroke it.....im sure whatever he says.like i said ill get the updated part list and post it up...and im still workin on them pics.

Quick Reply: 351W roller??? whats the big deal?? why go roller or change the strongest 69 block into a roller???