MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   351 Mustang (https://mustangforums.com/forum/351-mustang-55/)
-   -   New Guy.. I have questions and would like input! (https://mustangforums.com/forum/351-mustang/385951-new-guy-i-have-questions-and-would-like-input.html)

NoRegrets 12-25-2007 02:14 PM

New Guy.. I have questions and would like input!

I found a 351W for cheap, guy says it's from year 1978.

Some parts I'm looking at, but would like some input on them, maybe some suggestions..

I'm 19, and going to be putting this in a 87 Mustang with a 5 Speed.. Not throwing, because I'm taking my time with this as I'm a college student.
I'm wanting something not of real high power (yet), just looking to build something I can have fun with, learn while building, and when needed, power.
It would probably be taken to the track, a few times a year. Not looking for 500HP, but around 300HP.

COMP Cams Xtreme Energy Cam and Lifter Kit:
Cam/Lifters/Timing, Hydraulic Flat Tappet, Advertised Duration 294/306, Lift .554/.558, Ford, 351W, Kit

Cam Bolt Kit:
ARP Cam Bolt, Pro Series, Black Oxide, 3/ 8 in.-16 Thread, Ford, Small Block, Each

Cam Bearing:
Federal Mogul Babbit Style

Keith Black hypereutectic pistons:
Pistons, Hypereutectic, Flat Top, 4.030 in. Bore, 1/16 in., 1/16 in., 3/16 in. Ring Grooves,Ford,351W,Set of 8

Eagle SIR I-Beam Connecting Rods:
Length Center to Center - 5.956 in.

Rod Bearings:
Not Decided

Connecting Rod Bolts:
ARP High Performance Series Wave-Loc Connecting Rod Bolts

Crankshaft:
Eagle Cast Steel Crankshaft

Cylinder Heads:
World Products Windsor Sr Cylinder Heads (Assembled)

All I have planned for now..

Please give inputs, suggestions, ect.

Aikin9350 12-25-2007 03:01 PM

RE: New Guy.. I have questions and would like input!

Spend a little extra money and get forged pistons

farseek1 12-25-2007 03:27 PM

Amen to that........forged is much better than "Coated" cast pistons. otherwise looks like a good start. Good luck

NoRegrets 12-25-2007 03:29 PM

ORIGINAL: Aikin9350

Spend a little extra money and get forged pistons
Ok. I thought of going to forged, but thought casting would be ok in this.

Aikin9350 12-25-2007 05:13 PM

Id just spend a little extra so i know the strengths there, but hey that would all bean awesome start do what you would like congrats.

NoRegrets 12-25-2007 05:20 PM

ORIGINAL: Aikin9350

Id just spend a little extra so i know the strengths there, but hey that would all be an awesome start do what you would like congrats.
Very true.

Know of any kind if idea of power I'd be putting done? I'm thinkin with those I should be hittin 290?

HYPEracing 12-25-2007 08:30 PM

from experience, i would have to tell you to build the hell out of the lower end of that thing, good crank, good rods, and forged pistons. That way you will have a bottem end that never needs to come out of the car, and when you get the money, and the urge to go faster, just upgrade the heads, cam, intake, and carb. all the easy stuff thats right on top. Just make sure that as you go, you buy parts that match. Dont go buy a high lift cam, and good lifters, with out planning on having the heads that will flow with that cam correctly, or an intake and carb that can keep up with it.

NoRegrets 12-25-2007 09:10 PM

ORIGINAL: HYPEracing

from experience, i would have to tell you to build the hell out of the lower end of that thing, good crank, good rods, and forged pistons. That way you will have a bottem end that never needs to come out of the car, and when you get the money, and the urge to go faster, just upgrade the heads, cam, intake, and carb. all the easy stuff thats right on top. Just make sure that as you go, you buy parts that match. Dont go buy a high lift cam, and good lifters, with out planning on having the heads that will flow with that cam correctly, or an intake and carb that can keep up with it.
Good suggestion, thank you. I may actually think about that.. Just build the bottom end and just pick up some GT40 heads..

HYPEracing 12-26-2007 04:09 AM

yeah, buy one rotating assembly, weather its a stroker or not, cranks are cranks and generally arent much more for longer strokes, same with rods, a 5.850 rod will be about the same as a 6.200 rod of the same design. So if your buying a rotating assembly, get a good one now, and upgrade every thing else later.

Aikin9350 12-26-2007 11:10 AM

ORIGINAL: HYPEracing

Ya thats smart so it doesn't have tocome outand when you want more power heads cam intake carb.