351 Mustang

High Oil Pressure, Oil coming out of everywhere

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 07:09 AM
SKAR

Default High Oil Pressure, Oil coming out of everywhere

Not my engine, but a guy in the car club drives a F-150 with a 351w and a 4 spd.

He strated it up a few mornings ago and his oil pressure gauge immediately pegged itself, he popped the hood and the oil was coming out of the breather, dip stick tube, and everyhwere else

What could be causing this? Plug oil passages or?

Hes getting married this weekend and even though this is his beater truck im sure its a bit of stress for him

Any help or suggestions appreciated, Thanks
Old 02-21-2008, 09:46 AM
learning slowlzy

Default RE: High Oil Pressure, Oil coming out of everywhere

put a gauge on the block and get a more accurate reading.... if its higher then the book says check the spring in the oil pump.......
Old 02-21-2008, 10:43 AM
WhiteWindsor
5th Gear Member

With the oil spewing it could be a problem with crankcase ventilation. How's the pcv look?
Old 02-21-2008, 11:24 AM
SKAR

Ill have to give him a call later, he said he has checked everything he can think of, would he not be able to get a pressure reading if its spewing out of the dipstick tube and breather? Apparently when he starts it it just starts spraying oil everywhere
Old 02-26-2008, 10:00 AM
Jersey5.0
1st Gear Member

That much oil blowing out doesn't strike me as a clogged PCV valve, but it's something to check quickly before you guys go tearing into anything else.

I would suggest making an attempt at getting a more accurate reading on the oil pressure, but it sounds like a possible clogged oil passage to me.
Old 03-05-2008, 02:35 AM
PJC Racing
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FASTBLACK

With the oil spewing it could be a problem with crankcase ventilation. How's the pcv look?
This is where I would start, oil pressure would have no bearing on oil comming out of the dip stick tube and breather, there is no oilpressure applied in these areas(oil pressure is in the oil passages). Sounds like there is a hell of allot crankcase pressure.
Old 03-05-2008, 01:22 PM
psuhillbilly150
2nd Gear Member

I second the motion of PJCI have seen 3 different motors spit alot of oil out of the dipstick two were fresh rebuilds the first time they were started andthe rings were gettingseated(one built by my friend and myselfand another by some engine shop) The other time was on a motor that after I tore it apart all 8 of the lower rings were broken to pieces.
Old 03-05-2008, 01:42 PM
WhiteWindsor
5th Gear Member

Since we are talking about crankcase ventilation, when i used to run two breathers i had alot of blow-by. I replaced the pass side breather with a pcv and have not had the problem since. I read many times that you should not mix the two but it seems to be the only way it works for me. It's a 357 with 11.1 compression. What are your thoughts on this?
Old 03-05-2008, 11:58 PM
PJC Racing
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FASTBLACK

Since we are talking about crankcase ventilation, when i used to run two breathers i had alot of blow-by. I replaced the pass side breather with a pcv and have not had the problem since. I read many times that you should not mix the two but it seems to be the only way it works for me. It's a 357 with 11.1 compression. What are your thoughts on this?
Are you running a breather and a PCV? You should only use one or the other, IMO a PCV system is better than the breather because it applies a small amount of vacuum to the crankcase as apposed to just a vent with the breather.
Old 03-06-2008, 02:53 PM
WhiteWindsor
5th Gear Member

Yes, at the moment i'm running both. So i guess your reccomendation would be to take the breather off and leave the pcv. I have moroso valve covers, do they make a plug of sorts to plug the hole? Or can you use some sort of grommet?

Quick Reply: High Oil Pressure, Oil coming out of everywhere