351 Mustang

89-92 351w roller or flat tappet block?

Old 05-14-2008, 07:04 PM
5.0kid
5th Gear Member

Default 89-92 351w roller or flat tappet block?

I have the chance to get a 351w from a 89-92 bronco are these blocks roller blocks or are they a flat tappet block?
Old 05-14-2008, 07:12 PM
bighungrymatt
5th Gear Member

Default RE: 89-92 351w roller or flat tappet block?

they are not roller
Old 05-14-2008, 07:26 PM
5.0kid
5th Gear Member

theres a conversion kit for that correct?
Old 05-14-2008, 07:33 PM
woodsy
3rd Gear Member

No such thing as a conversion kit, I hate how they market that crap. You use the dogbones, tray and lifters from a 302 BUT you must use a small base circle cam, which is absolute junk. Just find an F4 block, there everywhere just look
Old 05-14-2008, 08:09 PM
89Ford
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: woodsy

No such thing as a conversion kit, I hate how they market that crap. You use the dogbones, tray and lifters from a 302 BUT you must use a small base circle cam, which is absolute junk. Just find an F4 block, there everywhere just look
woodsy Im pretty damn sure Comp cams makes lifters specificly for std. base roller cams in a non-roller block. And they are considered conversion or some other word that pretty much means the same thing. And I'm not talking about the link bar style, these lifters do use the lifter but they are specific to non roller blocks, so there is no issue with oil pressure. They are pricey however.

Ive also heard that the F4 casting started in 92, so if thats true then 92-93 blocks are roller capable. Kind of like what ford did with the 302, it was roller capable for a few years b4 ford started pointing the roller setups in. atleast thats what Ive read in books.
Old 05-14-2008, 08:16 PM
.boB
3rd Gear Member

My "junk" small base circle cam and conversion kit makes 550+hp lap after lap.

Yes, 5.0kid, you can easily convert a non-roller to a roller. The only real changes you have to do is drill and tap two small holes in the valley to hold the spider down. And some blocks will need a little grinding at the top of the lifter bores to allow the dog bones to sit flat. Other than that, the installation is the same for every other part.

Don't be afraid to use a roller cam in a non-roller block. With a bigger cam, you'll make more power. With smaller cams, power will be the same. If nothing else, just so you don't have to worry about finding the right oil.
Old 05-14-2008, 08:19 PM
5.0kid
5th Gear Member

cool well thanks for all the help im looking into it as we speak
Old 05-14-2008, 09:00 PM
woodsy
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 89Ford

woodsy Im pretty damn sure Comp cams makes lifters specificly for std. base roller cams in a non-roller block. And they are considered conversion or some other word that pretty much means the same thing. And I'm not talking about the link bar style, these lifters do use the lifter but they are specific to non roller blocks, so there is no issue with oil pressure. They are pricey however.

Ive also heard that the F4 casting started in 92, so if thats true then 92-93 blocks are roller capable. Kind of like what ford did with the 302, it was roller capable for a few years b4 ford started pointing the roller setups in. atleast thats what Ive read in books.
no they dont
Old 05-14-2008, 09:03 PM
woodsy
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: .boB

My "junk" small base circle cam and conversion kit makes 550+hp lap after lap.

Yes, 5.0kid, you can easily convert a non-roller to a roller. The only real changes you have to do is drill and tap two small holes in the valley to hold the spider down. And some blocks will need a little grinding at the top of the lifter bores to allow the dog bones to sit flat. Other than that, the installation is the same for every other part.

Don't be afraid to use a roller cam in a non-roller block. With a bigger cam, you'll make more power. With smaller cams, power will be the same. If nothing else, just so you don't have to worry about finding the right oil.
if you think small base cams are good, I feel for you. They are junk. If you could only see what that cam is doing at rpm with any decent spring pressure you would think twice, and 550 aint **** nowadays, sorry if I bump your ego. I been building nothing but small fords since 89', before we had anything good, been there done that long, long time ago.
Old 05-14-2008, 09:18 PM
S351R13
2nd Gear Member

Drilling and installing the tray and dogbones in a no roller block is a bad idea. Stock roller lifters will not work properly. The reason is an oiling issue. That is one for the reasons they offer reduced base circle camshafts. With a reduced base circle cam you don't need the tray and dogbones. The only downside to reduced base circle cams is that there aren't alot of off the shelf cams offeredand most aren't very good.The alternative is to use the link bar lifters. They do not make stock style roller lifters for a non roller block. As for castings the F4 stands for "F" 1990's and "4" stangs for 1994 specifically. Roller blocks were only offered from 94-96. They all are F4TE castings. Bigger cams don't always mean big power. If you don't have the rest of the combo to support it, then your just wasting money.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 89-92 351w roller or flat tappet block?