351 Mustang

351w swap into 87-93

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 03:07 PM
brad horton
1st Gear Member

Default 351w swap into 87-93

im looking at swaping in my extra 351w into a fox body v-8 car. i dont know what all I am going to need. what have is a v-8 manual car and a 84 351w carbed. i can handle building the motor i have built a few. this motor is a 9to1 motor erson tq0h cam eldbrock intake 650 holly carb fresh bore to 40 over edelbrock proformer nitrous system. what i still need for it that i know is rings and a gasket set. Unless told other wise im planing on useing a metal head gasket and arp head studs.
My only motor question is what rings should i run with 125 shot?

i have also done the trans side of it( i swaped a t-5 into my 67 cougar with a 69 351) my only question there is, is the counter balance the same on the 69 block and the 84 block?

Can i run stock 5.0 motor mounts? i know blocks are a lot alike but not the same.

what about headers can i run 5.0 shorty headers?

The motor has a front slump oil pan on it now will that work? if not will the 5.0 pan and pickup work?

any accessory bracket mods i need to make it work?

what else do i need to know?

i have yet to pick a car im looking at a few complete cars some rollers for trade for a 87 turbo supra. if you have a car and want to trade pm me. all cars are 87+ cars
Old 01-26-2009, 03:51 PM
brad horton
1st Gear Member

fuel lines. i want to run it as a carbed car what am i going to have to do to the fuel system? run the stock 5.0 fuel pump and bend new lines and put in a block off plate on the motor? leave the fuel pump on the motor and get rid of the intake pump? or run both and bend new lines?
Old 01-26-2009, 06:11 PM
vanilliagorillia79

i used a double sump oil pan. i was able to use shorty style headers(with a lil manipulation), i also used solid motor mounts(better strength and gain atleast 3/4 hood clearance), 10.5 flywheel for 10.5 clutch. higher torque starter, took in tank fuel pump out. mounted electric fuel pump near tank and reused old lines. ran new lines in engine compartment. aluminum radiator w/ electric fan. need some kind of bracket for the throttle linkage. i also used an 85 mustang throttle cable( because they were carbed back then) msd 6al ignition kit w/ msd 351w pro billet distributor. oh and flanges on factory h-pipe had to be reflanged because the headers i used had a different flange. and that might be it. this is just all stuff that i know that my mechanic had to do. if there is more i remember i will post.
Old 01-27-2009, 11:39 PM
brad horton
1st Gear Member

can you use 5.0 shorty headers with a custom x pipe?

any one know about the counter ballance?
Old 01-27-2009, 11:46 PM
BlessedHellride
4th Gear Member

I'm sure that the balance of the two engines were different. But I'm not 100% sure. If it were me, I'd look into buying a new one with a clutch kit. Like the 10.5" kit mentioned above. I would imagine that your imbalance on the 69 block is something like 28.4 oz and the later models went to a 50 oz imbalance. I just don't know when they switched the two.
Old 01-29-2009, 12:10 AM
dudeboy
3rd Gear Member

Far as I know the 351w has ALWAYS been a 28oz...

Stock Mustang 302 motor mounts will fit the 351w just fine.

The accessories are a little tricky... what year 5.0 did you pull the accessories from?
The crank pulley may need a spacer....

Good luck going carb'd... I'm intentionally ignorant in that area...
Old 01-29-2009, 12:40 PM
brad horton
1st Gear Member

im looking at a 87-93 5.0 cars complete
Old 02-02-2009, 06:59 PM
Atencio

The power steering/air conditioning side bracket will need to be lengthened about an inch or so. There is a company that sells one but I can't remember who I got it from. I used a different double sump pan but I can't remember why. I had to modify it a bit because it was hitting the steering underneath. I used MAC 351 shorty headers and they bolted up fine to the exhaust I had on my 5.0. I personally wouldn't run a fuel pump from an injected car. Even with a regulator you still could potentially blow out the needle valves. I am still running injected with mine so can't offer any tried and true suggestions.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:38 PM
brad horton
1st Gear Member

any one with the counter ballance anwser?
Old 02-02-2009, 11:57 PM
dudeboy
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by brad horton
any one with the counter ballance anwser?
I know I've posted it here before... but I'll post it again...
http://seattleblueovals.com/index.php?topic=21.0

good luck,
jason

Quick Reply: 351w swap into 87-93