MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   351 Mustang (https://mustangforums.com/forum/351-mustang-55/)
-   -   What should I expect (https://mustangforums.com/forum/351-mustang/517280-what-should-i-expect.html)

alecracing 02-12-2009 01:01 PM

What should I expect

I am an automotive instructor in Miramar, FL. We just acquired a '95 Mustang with a 351 c.i. engine with Trick Flow heads and intake, Tremec trans, 31 spline rear, 3:73 gears. This car looks like it was put together great but not maintained properly for the past 5 years or more. It still runs strong.

I am going to have the students do a compression test on it before we pull it out to go through it. The car was painted saphire blue but they did not do the engine compartment so I will have the students pull the engine to freshen it up and send the car out to be painted.

Questions:

What kind of horsepower should i expect with short tube headers and 3 inch exhaust?
What kind of gaskets do you guys use? Are the Mr Gasket ultra seals good enough or do I need bigger port gaskets for the Trick Flow heads and intake?

alecracing 02-12-2009 01:20 PM

the guy that sold it to me said it had 30# injectors...is that too big for this engine? The fuel pressure is et @ 40psi.

sn95_331_GT_ yellow 02-12-2009 01:34 PM

look on the Trick Flow website or call tech support for the correct exhaust gasket. as for power, that will depend on the compression ratio and the cam, as well as intake manifold selection. have them pull the heads and look at the pistons (are they flat top or dished?)
shorty headers are really going to hurt power output on a bigger engine. get a good set of longtubes (1 3/4 into 3 inch) for a 79-93 fox bodies. it eliminates the external EGR but thats usually one of the first things removed in a performance build. the 30# injectors will work fine, just make sure you either have a calibrated MAF or a good tune (what id recommend).
like before, what kind of intake manifold, how big is the TB and MAF? could you get some potential spec on the cam by measuring the lift? other than that your best bet is to strap it to a dyno and just let it go until it stops making power.
a mild 351W should be anywhere between 300-400rwhp depending on (obviously) a thousand different variables. let us know.

alecracing 02-12-2009 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by sn95_331_GT_ yellow (Post 5933583)
look on the Trick Flow website or call tech support for the correct exhaust gasket. as for power, that will depend on the compression ratio and the cam, as well as intake manifold selection. have them pull the heads and look at the pistons (are they flat top or dished?)
shorty headers are really going to hurt power output on a bigger engine. get a good set of longtubes (1 3/4 into 3 inch) for a 79-93 fox bodies.

Will they fit on a '95?????:confused:

it eliminates the external EGR but thats usually one of the first things removed in a performance build. the 30# injectors will work fine, just make sure you either have a calibrated MAF or a good tune (what id recommend).

looks like someone, um, "calibrated" it:rolleyes:

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o...g/DSCF0536.jpg

like before, what kind of intake manifold,

this intake:D

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o...s-51500003.jpg

how big is the TB and MAF? could you get some potential spec on the cam by measuring the lift? other than that your best bet is to strap it to a dyno and just let it go until it stops making power.
a mild 351W should be anywhere between 300-400rwhp depending on (obviously) a thousand different variables. let us know.

Is this a PRO-M mass air flow sensor housing, or just a PRO-M tube???

The car has no cold air intake, just this set-up with the air filter sitting where the air filter box was.

alecracing 02-12-2009 02:18 PM

This car is going to be titled to the school so it will be dragstrip duty only.

What is the best stroker kit out there?

and

What is the best rear control arms for launching?

15 years ago used to be Southsides. The car has MAC upper and lowers right now and the bushings are shot and they have no adjustability so they have to go.:cool:

sn95_331_GT_ yellow 02-12-2009 02:30 PM

maximum motorsports makes some great pieces for either drag or road race. look them up. Fox body headers will fit fine, just like i said, no EGR.
that manifold is a TFS R series. does it have a 75 or 90mm TB opening?
the biggest TB made specifically for 94/95 mustangs is a 75mm, otherwise you have to go for a fox Acufab or Wilson 90mm. as for the MAF, i have no clue what that is, it almost looks like a DBX meter with the bell on the front. look on fordstrokers.com or pm a guy named "woodsy" on here (he's the owner i believe). cant go wrong with a 408 IMO.
is the car auto or stick? (T-5 will NOT last at all behind that engine)
sounds like a fun build, i just got done with one of those in my 95, and then got rid of it lol.

sn95_331_GT_ yellow 02-12-2009 02:31 PM

i seriously need to learn how to read, which Tremec trans does it have? 3550, TKO 500 or 600?

alecracing 02-12-2009 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by sn95_331_GT_ yellow (Post 5933746)
i seriously need to learn how to read, which Tremec trans does it have? 3550, TKO 500 or 600?

don't know yet, I'll have to look at it, the guy that sold it to me said it was a

tremic dkl tran...huh?:confused:

sn95_331_GT_ yellow 02-12-2009 07:37 PM

haha no clue. can you take a pic of the tranny?

AdderMk2 02-12-2009 09:06 PM

he probably said TKO... i can see tko and dkl sounding similar

and no, you cannot use fox headers on an SN95... that fit different for some stupid reason... and the fox headers do not have the EGR provision