351 Mustang

Need advice for turbo 393 stroker set up

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 12:18 PM
347FordNY

Default Need advice for turbo 393 stroker set up

I am currently building a 393 stroker for my 88 fox. As of right now I have a 69 windsor block, Probe 8:1 Forged Pistons, Trickflow TW Heads, and R-Series intake manifold (Fuel Injected). I am totally clueless when it comes to turbos. I am possibly going with a kit from Treadstone using a single turbo capable of handling 600-800hp. The trouble I am having pertains to the cam. Does anyone have any recommendation for a cam and what lift is safe? Also how much psi would be safe in this set up but still make good power?
Old 11-29-2009, 01:42 PM
racin66coupe
5th Gear Member

get a custom cam ground. camshaftinnovations.com
no idea about boost.
Old 11-29-2009, 01:56 PM
347FordNY

ok thats great. Thanks for the advice
Old 11-29-2009, 04:35 PM
uedlose
5th Gear Member

careful running a t4 frame turbo on large CID while it works they can become a big restriction on the bigger engines back pressure issues will without doubt become a issue. keep the cid down to around 351 and put a 76gts turbo on it and you can run low9s or even faster. Big CID brings big turbos and very large down pipes in the 4in to 5in range what you gone to do with that and where you gone to run it? and the fuel system cost can get crazy. keeping the hp down is gone to be tough with that many CID and boost but that is a good problem to have. As far as boost, boost is only a measurement of restriction. it is only a number. Cam Motion does killer Turbo cams it is one of there specials great guys to work with also. Not to sound like a D1CK but you really need to do some reading on turbos before you make a purchase. Trust me I have made some mistakes that if I only knew when I srated buying stuff. and I came over from a S/C car to turbo.
Old 11-29-2009, 08:22 PM
broken down mustang

what kind of crank? cast or forged? and what rods? are you gonna run a girdle? is the bottom end studed? how hard are you gonna push it ? or is it just a street cruiser? these are all questions to think about, you have potential to make huge power lets here more!
Old 11-30-2009, 02:21 PM
347FordNY

I was possibly going with a scat crank with a set of forged H-Beam rods with a rating up to 800hp. Yes I am going to get a main girdle for it, I already discussed it with the local builder and h agreed that it was needed.I was told the blocks were good 700-800hp so I want to be around there.I have been shopping around and have been getting the parts pretty cheap. I bought the heads and the intake manifold set up with the fuel rails and spacer for $1,500. The pistons were only $250 all brand new and never used. Im hoping I keep getting lucky and finding parts for good prices.
Old 11-30-2009, 02:27 PM
347FordNY

I plan on running it at the closest tracks we have near me, Island dragway and Englishtown,NJ. It is mostly going to be a cruiser and I most likely won't be constantly racing because I want to try and keep it a little longer.Yeh I was going to buy the turbo last and was actually purchasing the crank and rods next.Im still not sure what I am doing to do yet (Supercharge or Turbocharge) and figured I would check around the forums for opinions of people who have dealt with turbo mustangs.
Old 08-09-2011, 04:42 PM
turbo20B

what ever happened to this ?...any updates?
Old 08-10-2011, 10:23 PM
347FordNY

Originally Posted by turbo20B
what ever happened to this ?...any updates?
Sadly my brother and I have not made any advancements on this mustang. His regular vehicle broke down and he had to buy a new one. I have been waiting years to get my 92 347 stroker back. In and out of shops for literally 5-6 yrs. Been to your backyard mechanics to $70/hr mustang shop. Been at mustang shop since I made this thread. Seems like nobody wants to work by here. Unfortunately the only new parts we did get was an intercooler and wastegate and I may have to sell pistons bc the block neeeds to be bored outt and I have standard pistons. Some day she will be done I hope
Old 08-10-2011, 10:40 PM
Jebmustangv6
2nd Gear Member

why not turbo the 347 and save some money? the 347 with a lower cr piston would make a great boosted engine with less parts to buy and would make great power.

Quick Reply: Need advice for turbo 393 stroker set up