351 Mustang

EFI questions and solutions??? help....

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 12:10 PM
johndeeregreen
1st Gear Member

Default EFI questions and solutions??? help....

I have a 79 block but want to go efi.. i have two seperate set ups to choose from but don't know if the newer version efi will fit on the older block due to the roller cam in the newer blocks vs. the flat tappet in the older block what will i need to use to get this think injected? someone help me out here thanks in advance
Old 01-08-2010, 04:17 PM
sn95_331_GT_ yellow
5th Gear Member

you want to use a factory set up, so that means from a truck, for performance?...

rethink your angle...
Old 01-13-2010, 06:26 PM
Stangatic
3rd Gear Member

From what I have seen and read, hydrolic or roller cams don't matter when doing an efi conversion.

Read here: http://www.fordfuelinjection.com/

Also google search EFI conversions on a mustang. I have seen several articles about people stripping old 5.0 EFI ( wiring harness, Computer, intake etc) and dropping them on non efi engines without having to change the cam.
Old 01-13-2010, 07:17 PM
johndeeregreen
1st Gear Member

Default about the swap

I was looking at the fact that the 79 block is originally NOT a roller motor, "flat tappet" only so being that the efi systems were mainly only used on "roller type" engines that the gear on the cam is different so unless i am looking for an exact engine that had a non roller with efi.... that would match the cam gear with the distributor gear.. i don't want to have any interference on that part. Thanks again for all the input its been a lot of help, also performance is a mildly put term this car is a DD so im just looking to up the antee a little with the 5.8 and i have had them in the past and like them more than the 302. Being that money is were it is and not with me this whole swap may be put on hold, that being said i might be selling the complete motor and c6 trans out right so that i can get the tranny that my car is so desperately needing. so pm if your interested still in the thought process
Old 01-14-2010, 06:52 AM
uedlose
5th Gear Member

the efi has nothing to do with a 351 or 302 now. with the firing order being the same from the 302HO and the 351w and it will work for you. If you want to run your roller set up or the stock style roller you will need the retro lifters or a small base cam and stock lifter set up. I would just run the retro lifter but they are $$. if you want to stay with the flat tappet cam that is ok too. you don't need to change the gear on the distributor unless you are running a roller cam. the roller cams need the gear on the end of the distributor changed so you really should be good most 351s that are efi with the TFI module are not roller cams until 94. so head to a yard or parts store and get you a distributor
Old 01-15-2010, 01:38 PM
vristang
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by johndeeregreen
I have a 79 block but want to go efi.. i have two seperate set ups to choose from but don't know if the newer version efi will fit on the older block due to the roller cam in the newer blocks vs. the flat tappet in the older block what will i need to use to get this think injected? someone help me out here thanks in advance
1. What 2 setups do you have? Most conversions use the same efi system as the stock 5.0HO.
2. Roller cam has NO impact on the EFI setup. Getting the right distributor gear for the cam is a completely separate issue from EFI. Be sure to run the recommended Distributor drive gear for the cam you select, and you will be just fine.
Old 01-16-2010, 09:13 PM
johndeeregreen
1st Gear Member

Default Thank you all for all the great help.

I have one set up from a bronco that was making about 500 horse and its complete. dist, wiring, upper and lower, injectors, rails the whole nine... that being said and for only 150 not a bad price really, the other option i had was to just get a lower and use my upper from the 5.0, and go that route. but i think that i have it all figure out now and i really want the 351 in the car now im just trying to figure out what my machine costs are going to be to get the block assembly ready so i can put it together and get it in there. Anyone in the jacksonville area that has used a shop locally? help me out here thanks again to all the great help and advice
Old 01-18-2010, 07:48 AM
vristang
4th Gear Member

Your sig says you have a ported stock intake?
You won't find a 351w lower that will bolt up to the stock upper....
And if you do, the stock upper will KILL performance on that large of an engine.

I suggest finding a better intake...

Was the computer from the bronco? or was it a Mustang ecu?
What was the other setup?