351 Mustang

what size AFR head on S/C 383W

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 10:54 AM
ponyboy88
3rd Gear Member

Default what size AFR head on S/C 383W

Was wondering if anyone had a suggestion on which size AFR head i should run on my fox body. Plan is a street able boosted car, looking for good torque and power early on in the rpm range. Going in my fox.

I have noticed the 185's are significantly cheaper then then the 205's and 225's, but will they flow enough on the boosted motor or will they be holding it back.

I am buying the short block, which is set up for the world product iron heads, but want to run aluminum heads to counter act the weight of the larger motor. Avoiding tfs since i dont want to have to get the pistons notched for the twisted wedge design.

Thanks, any and all help appreciated
NA
Old 03-31-2010, 03:26 PM
wildcobrar
3rd Gear Member

383 cubes?
Stock block .030 over?
Carbed or EFI?
What tranny?

Joe
Old 03-31-2010, 04:52 PM
sn95_331_GT_ yellow
5th Gear Member

well, if you have a stroker 351W set up for boost, you BETTER have dished pistons (if not, youre an idiot), so having TF heads wont make any difference.

and FWIW, TF heads will make more power than either of the AFR heads because they have a much better intake valve position, and wont have radial valve shrouding like the AFR's will do to the 2.08" intake valves. TF will have either 2.02" or 2.05" depending on how far you get them ported.

BTW, stroker + blower + iron heads = HORRIBLE idea...

there's a reason a lot of people use TF heads...

because they work... well...

AFR heads are just glorified ProComp heads, you cant port them or really do any work on them. with TF heads, the sky is the limit...
Old 04-01-2010, 12:39 PM
ponyboy88
3rd Gear Member

Im picking up a long block probably in a two weeks this is what i know about it,

4340 steel crank, h-beam 6.25 rods, srp aluminum pistons (assuming domed since compression is 9.0:1 on 58cc heads) milidone pan (canton style), High volume mellings oil pump, billet main caps, world product windsor heads (58cc) iron, the block is also o-ringed and it has copper head gaskets.

Im considering installing it as is, and when i get bored boost it
Old 04-01-2010, 03:25 PM
wildcobrar
3rd Gear Member

Good luck. Sounds like the windsor irons are the Jrs given the 58 cc chamber. Hope the bottom end is what they say it is. For the life of me why would anyone put all the time and money into a good bottom end just to put a less than average cylinder head on it. The heads are more suited to 302 cubes and not 383.

Joe
Old 04-01-2010, 03:50 PM
ponyboy88
3rd Gear Member

Yeah, i had a feeling. Im going to run the motor temp. as N/A, just to work out some of the other bugs and paint/bodywork.

If the pistons are domed i wont have any problems with the piston/valve clearance?

Anyone have a suggestion for what size injectors? preferably ones that would work both N/A and boosted if that's possible... i am going to top the set up off with the trickflow 5.8 intake and eventually trickflow or afr heads and a procharger.
Old 04-01-2010, 07:13 PM
uedlose
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ponyboy88
Im picking up a long block probably in a two weeks this is what i know about it,

4340 steel crank, h-beam 6.25 rods, srp aluminum pistons (assuming domed since compression is 9.0:1 on 58cc heads) milidone pan (canton style), High volume mellings oil pump, billet main caps, world product windsor heads (58cc) iron, the block is also o-ringed and it has copper head gaskets.

Im considering installing it as is, and when i get bored boost it
Do you mean dished pistons even with flat tops a big cid W motor will make high compression. cuz with domes you are gone to be up there with a 58 cc head double check what you are looking to buy. 9.1 sounds like a dish to me and a right big one at that but not knowing how far the piston is in the hole and all it is a mute point.
Old 04-02-2010, 10:08 AM
ponyboy88
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by uedlose
Do you mean dished pistons even with flat tops a big cid W motor will make high compression. cuz with domes you are gone to be up there with a 58 cc head double check what you are looking to buy. 9.1 sounds like a dish to me and a right big one at that but not knowing how far the piston is in the hole and all it is a mute point.
yeah i meant dished, and i agree with you that it sounds like it was set up for boost (i.e low comp)
Old 04-02-2010, 10:09 AM
ponyboy88
3rd Gear Member

any suggestions on injector size?
Is it possible to run the motor with a slightly too large injector until i run boost?
Old 04-02-2010, 05:21 PM
uedlose
5th Gear Member

injector size depends on how much power you are gone to make. a 383 with 10 psi with good heads and cam is gone to make 600+ HP or even a bit more without any real issues. How much boost you gone to run? Yes you can run a big injector till you move up to boost BUT you are gone to need a tune or better yet a Tuner of some kind a PMS or Quarter horse,MS, Fast or a Big stuff system. I run a 83# HR injector on a 306 off boost it is fine and runs good is it like a Daily Driver NO but it has a good bit of duration in the cam but as far a loading up and fouling plugs that is not a issue at all. I would also not go any smaller then the 205 heads if you run the AFRs have you looked into any of the High Port TFS. I like them over the TW any day but that is a opinion. some of the fastest car in the country run the High Ports and there is a reason for it. But don't worry the AFRs will get the job done also if you chose to go that way. AFRs are far from junk and make good HP. I know lots of people that run them and lay down good ETs and HP # are they better on a large bore sure but if you are not looking for every last HP don't worry to much about it. if you want more power just throw more boost at it. it will push the air around anything in the way ..LOL

Quick Reply: what size AFR head on S/C 383W