351 Mustang

Thinking of a 351 swap...

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 10:18 PM
AntiRiceRacing
2nd Gear Member

Havent been on here in a while, but i just picked up a 351c today... supposably out of a 70 mustang.. is there any way i can verify that? And it had a 2bbl intake on it, so im assuming its a 2v? Also i noticed it has aluminum pistons, is that original?
Old 10-01-2010, 02:55 PM
wildcobrar
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by nightmare90gt
well i already have trick flow heads so i am good in the head department i just dont know if my top end will bolt up to the cleveland block and what oil pan or anything like that is the swap harder than the windsor.
Put that top end on a Windsor. It is much easier.

Joe
Old 10-01-2010, 02:57 PM
wildcobrar
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by AntiRiceRacing
Havent been on here in a while, but i just picked up a 351c today... supposably out of a 70 mustang.. is there any way i can verify that? And it had a 2bbl intake on it, so im assuming its a 2v? Also i noticed it has aluminum pistons, is that original?
Post some pics. That way it will help to identify it. A 2v Cleveland prepped right with a good seletion of parts will run very well in a Fox based Mustang.

Joe
Old 10-01-2010, 03:03 PM
AntiRiceRacing
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by wildcobrar
Post some pics. That way it will help to identify it. A 2v Cleveland prepped right with a good seletion of parts will run very well in a Fox based Mustang.

Joe
Alright ill get some pictures later tonight. I just plan on doing a cam, aluminum intake, and carb for now. Just want to get the car running again before i go crazy...

What all can i reuse from the 302? Can i reuse the water pump pulley and crank pulley? Starter?
Old 10-01-2010, 08:09 PM
nightmare90gt
2nd Gear Member

Put that top end on a Windsor. It is much easier.

Joe
will do thanks for the help just waiting on my current bottom end to go then the 408 project starts
Old 10-02-2010, 05:25 PM
wildcobrar
3rd Gear Member

Alright ill get some pictures later tonight. I just plan on doing a cam, aluminum intake, and carb for now. Just want to get the car running again before i go crazy...

What all can i reuse from the 302? Can i reuse the water pump pulley and crank pulley? Starter?
Yes, you will need to slot the bolt holes for the water pump pulley.

Joe
Old 10-03-2010, 08:08 AM
wrenchturner75
2nd Gear Member

they sound strong cobra! hell there just buildin steam when shifted, currently mine is sitting apart awaiting a solid cam, but with building a house lets just say its been put on the back burner for a while but hearing that ol familiar 6500rpm+ cleveland scream gets the blood flowing again. long live the mighty cleveland!
Old 10-04-2010, 11:06 AM
AntiRiceRacing
2nd Gear Member

Had a couple more questions.... IF it is a 2v, will a 4v intake work on it? Will 4v headers or 351w swap headers work on it? Or do i need to find all 2v stuff...?

EDIT: Just found a set of 4v heads on the local craigslist... how will those do on a 2v short block?

Last edited by AntiRiceRacing; 10-04-2010 at 11:04 PM.
Old 10-05-2010, 06:28 AM
wildcobrar
3rd Gear Member

Had a couple more questions.... IF it is a 2v, will a 4v intake work on it? Will 4v headers or 351w swap headers work on it? Or do i need to find all 2v stuff...?

EDIT: Just found a set of 4v heads on the local craigslist... how will those do on a 2v short block?
Some people have mismatched the original 4V intake to the 2v heads with decent results. You can buy a 4 barrell version intake to match the 2v cylinder head ports. The 4V heads are a very good head. They flow 280 CFM right from Ford. Are they Closed Chamber or Open chamber heads? 64 cc chamber for closed/76 cc chamber for open. It help you get a little compression with factory flat top pistons with the closed chamber heads. Yes 2V and 4v heads work on any 351C short block.

Joe

Last edited by wildcobrar; 10-05-2010 at 02:26 PM.
Old 10-06-2010, 01:31 PM
AntiRiceRacing
2nd Gear Member

Some people have mismatched the original 4V intake to the 2v heads with decent results. You can buy a 4 barrell version intake to match the 2v cylinder head ports. The 4V heads are a very good head. They flow 280 CFM right from Ford. Are they Closed Chamber or Open chamber heads? 64 cc chamber for closed/76 cc chamber for open. It help you get a little compression with factory flat top pistons with the closed chamber heads. Yes 2V and 4v heads work on any 351C short block.

Joe
Not sure which ones they are, but they are only $100... even if they are the open chamber, will they still be better then 2v heads? Will i gain more compression even if they are the open chambers? Also whats the max lift i can use with factory pistons? I was looking at buying a cam kit soon...

Quick Reply: Thinking of a 351 swap...