351 Mustang

88 gt w/ 351w HELP PLEASE OVERHEATING!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 03:21 PM
vanilliagorillia79

Default 88 gt w/ 351w HELP PLEASE OVERHEATING!!!!

I have an 88gt with 1991 351w block. ported and polished,angle cut, bigger exhaust valves,5 angle valve job stock heads, a lunati cam(cant remember the specs), rpm air gap intake, holley 670 street avenger carb, underdrive pulleys, holley black fuel pump and regulator, k&n air filter and k&n air filter top, roller rockers, trick flow pushrods,stock crank and rods, .030 over pistons, Astro A-5 5speed rated for 550 hp, eibach sport line springs 17" cobra wheels wrapped with bfgoodwrench g force sport tires. that should be everything but more than likely left something out. just trying to list everything so that i can get the best possible advice or answer to my problem. the problem is that the damn car will overheat when i sit in traffic or at a light or all of it. i have an aluminum radiator and a badass fan with a shroud(3300 cfm) but no matter what it over heats. its fine when going down the road and even cooler going over 100mph(which the motor seems to love) but as soon as i stop and wait a few minutes, the temperature gauge just rises and rises. and if it gets hot enough it will spit the water out everytime. i have even taken the a/c condensor out the way to help the fan suck air and that didnt help. i do not have the heater core in as it is broke, i was told once before that it helps move the fluid around, helping cool the motor. the water pump is a stock replacment for the 88gt 5.0 motor and allows for the pulley to line up with the rest. i have had this problem from the first time i have finished this project and it just baffels me! I am an electrician that learned how to build this motor by himself, i even installed the motorand tranny by myself.well my 4 year old helped some(he's a future mustang gear head). i just really need some expert advice or opinions on this problem, i had just upgraded the fan to help fix this problem and obviously that didnt help. I just dont knw what else to do. the radiator i have should be better than stock. its basically the same size as the 5.0 one cause it fits excatlly in the same spot as the stock one. its just aluminum. i do all of my own work, primarly because i like to and having a wife and 4 kids doesnt help either. i just hope someone can please please help me. everything else is perfect except that. it is driving me crazy! i hate to lose or give up and this over heating thing is kicking my butt. i just dont know the next move to make. oh and the fan has an adjustable relay to have the fan come on at different tempatures. so again please help fellow mustang enthusiast!!!hell even call me at 843-297-9305 my name is jamie berkley
Old 05-09-2011, 03:55 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

Quoted, formatted, and edited out the useless information...

Originally Posted by vanilliagorillia79
I have an 88gt with 1991 351w block.

the problem is that the damn car will overheat when i sit in traffic or at a light or all of it.

i have an aluminum radiator and a badass fan with a shroud(3300 cfm) but no matter what it over heats.

its fine when going down the road and even cooler going over 100mph

as soon as i stop and wait a few minutes, the temperature gauge just rises and rises.
Here are you options:
Your "badass fan with a shroud" is a piece of ****.
you possibly wired your "badass fan with a shroud" wrong.
OR you need a new water pump...

The fact that your car keeps cool while on the highway tells us that there is nother wrong with your radiator. However, it also eludes that your WP is flowing fluid while the engine is turning some RPM.

SO, start the car, let it warm up... Give it some throttle to increase RPMs to ~2500ish, and see if your temps go down. If they do, you need a new water pump.

If your temps continue to rise, your fan is ****ed, and you should replace it with something a bit more "quality"

Last edited by AdderMk2; 05-09-2011 at 04:04 PM.
Old 05-09-2011, 04:05 PM
Shooter91Vert

did you make sure the fan is in "push" or "pull" direction? what kind of fan do you have? Im guessing the air is not passing through the radiator!
Old 05-10-2011, 05:08 PM
vanilliagorillia79

the fan is brand new and yes i wired it correctly( i am an electrician and pretty sure if i can wire a building i can handle a simple fan) the fan was custom built for the car along with the shroud. i currently can not find the info on the ppl who built it and as soon as i do i will post who built it. the water pump is a stock 5.0 water pump. should i look into gettinng one that flows more water like the edlebrock one? is there a chance the water pump is wrong, meaning the way it rotates? clock wise or counter clockwise. also the water pump is brand new as well. its just one from napa.is it a chance that there was to much work done to the stock heads?i appreciate all the info by the way.
Old 05-10-2011, 05:10 PM
vanilliagorillia79

oh the fan is a puller and you can feel the air being sucked through the radiator.
Old 05-10-2011, 05:27 PM
vanilliagorillia79

the fan is a FFD ultra extreme electric fan and kit
Old 05-10-2011, 10:29 PM
Shooter91Vert

Originally Posted by vanilliagorillia79
is there a chance the water pump is wrong, meaning the way it rotates? clock wise or counter clockwise. also the water pump is brand new as well.

get the part number on your water pump and see if its a standard rotation or a reverse rotation pump...that could be your problem.. good luck.
Old 05-10-2011, 11:53 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

I still say you should follow the steps I told you already
Old 05-12-2011, 05:25 PM
vanilliagorillia79

which rotation should the water pump be going? also addermk2been working out of town and have not had a chance to try that. i have just gotton home this evening and i will try what you suggest and will post the results. thanks i also do believe the water pump is a standard rotation water pump. i thought that i read somewhere a while ago that it needed to be a reverse rotation water pump. all i did was go to napa and ask for a water pump for an 88gt and i did not specify any kind of rotation, so whatever they gave me, i used. more info on the water pump direction and why would be greatly appreciated, thanks again everyone.
Old 05-12-2011, 07:18 PM
vanilliagorillia79

ok so the tempature gauge increases when i keep it at 2500rpm, but shouldnt the motor get hotter when its under a load or under more rpms?? i really cant say its the fan though because one its brand new and i promise you it moves some serious air. its suppossed to move 3300cfm of air and from what i can tell it does, i mean that should be enough air to cool wouldnt you agree? is it possible the timing is wrong cause i know that would make it hot as well, but i cant imagine it making it that hot. i run supreme gas also and doesnt that make the motor hotter. i am just thinking about every possiblity that would increase temperture. man this is driving me nuts

Quick Reply: 88 gt w/ 351w HELP PLEASE OVERHEATING!!!!